• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whole House Traps

Originally posted by Flux View Post
    You wouldn't be cutting them out here.
    I'll send You a ticket for the red eye after the packers
    lose. Snap cutter and shovel at gate #26
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      I'll send You a ticket for the red eye after the packers
      lose. Snap cutter and shovel at gate #26

Comment

I think the inspectors are just stuck in the past . I can't see the advantage of having them and whats the difference if you install two wyes with eighth bends and you can clean either way. But a TRAP why send the waste all that way just to slow it down I just don't see the purpose is it because inspections knows the homes are not properly vented?

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
          I think the inspectors are just stuck in the past . I can't see the advantage of having them and whats the difference if you install two wyes with eighth bends and you can clean either way. But a TRAP why send the waste all that way just to slow it down I just don't see the purpose is it because inspections knows the homes are not properly vented?
          Maybe to protect the private system form public sewer gas. Sewer gas can be very corrosive in some areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
            It does slow it down, but like master said, it protects private from public sewer gas. But I still don't understand the double trapping theory the code says we are not allowed to do, but yet allowed.

The advantage is this..

A customer calls and says her main line is backing up, and sewage is spilling onto the lawn. I pull up and take my trap plunger out, and clear it within seconds, as long as roots or heavy grease isn't the cause. We still have C.I. in the ground here, but the majority is P.V.C. or S.D.R.35.

Plus, I can send my snake down the trap and go either way from "outside"..and also there is no mess to clean up inside of the home.

Having a lawn trap also let's me gauge where the stoppage is without a sewer camera. If it's spilling out the top, the blockage is between the trap and street. If it's not spilling out the top, I know to run my snake towards the house. If I can't get the blockage from outside, I'm pulling a toilet and hitting it from there. Most blockages I come across are from the curb to the trap. It's very rare for me to pull a toilet to clear a main blockage...that's my point.

If you have no lawn vents or traps outside, you're going to the roof or pulling a toilet if the house you're working on a house with no basement.

As far as the house traps that I see in basements...there is no advantage, and would be a pain.
            Last edited by Flux; 02-05-2011, 11:24 AM.

Comment

The only time I pull a toilet is if i cant get on the roof. Either way I just run enough cable to locate it in the yard...then I dig it up,open the line and then install a two way cleanout. Sewers are shallow here for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                The only time I pull a toilet is if i cant get on the roof. Either way I just run enough cable to locate it in the yard...then I dig it up,open the line and then install a two way cleanout. Sewers are shallow here for the most part.
                See ours are below the frost line and deeper.

Comment

They're a pain in the arse , for drainers and such. It will never change. Dump down spout water on the ground ,and see what happens to You! x# of days to correct or go to Jail, I'm told !
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

...it protects private from public sewer gas.
                    Sewer gas is sewer gas. Nothing private or public about it. The whole idea of venting through the roof is to provide air circulation from the main public sewer, through the house plumbing and out the roof,away from habitable areas. The more circulation that there is the better the flow and the safer the system.

The house trap only serves to restrict this free flow.

If you have no lawn vents or traps outside, you're going to the roof or pulling a toilet if the house you're working on a house with no basement.
                    Don't you have clean outs in the basement or slab where the sewer leaves the house.?? We have them even on the old house traps, along side the storm trap.

Comment

BUMP
                      Just spotted this thread what kinna dough do you guys charge to dig Eight feet down replace old running trap with straight through line and two clean outs going opposite direction.
                      Cheers thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by robie View Post
                        BUMP
                        Just spotted this thread what kinna dough do you guys charge to dig Eight feet down replace old running trap with straight through line and two clean outs going opposite direction.
                        Cheers thanks guys
                        In my area we dig and replace. We are not allowed to remove the trap by order of our sewer authority.
                        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                        X