X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole House Traps

Street traps [whole house traps] left open,No vented plates. This is common in S F. This is a foot in from the curb on a sandy slope. We have been on this project for a while,and I don't understand this situation left this way! It's not uncommon. These homes were built around 1927 or so. Across the G.G.Bridge it's not done. Do You have this in Your area? Thank's Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Whole House Traps

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    Street traps [whole house traps] left open,No vented plates. This is common in S F. This is a foot in from the curb on a sandy slope. We have been on this project for a while,and I don't understand this situation left this way! It's not uncommon. These homes were built around 1927 or so. Across the G.G.Bridge it's not done. Do You have this in Your area? Thank's Tool
    Curb traps, as we call him here...are very very common in my area...More so in the city... They either have the round vent lids with the slotted air vents, or its a square vent lind with small holes for air....Most of them have covers and screws...but i see alot in Phila, that the stand pipes sit higher then the vent box assembly, so the lid is actually sitting on the pipe instead of being fastened to the assembly...big time tripping hazard...these were put in, in the 40s and 50s and are still the original...Alot of the times you have to break out the screw, or completely break off the lid to gain access to the traps....In some areas with the older houses they put the traps in at the curb, but never put the standpipes in and never vented them to the surface...So when you cabling a line from the inside out you will hit it..Whenever i do a video and see a trap but no standpipe, i mark it and tell them they need to get the trap exposed and have a standpipe and box installed...for 1, to vent but for 2, if the line ever clogs past the trap, there is no way to get it from the inside...

Greg
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

We do not have whole house traps in the areas I work. Many years ago we did a chrome-off and re-porcelain restoration of the 12-bath Donald Wills Douglas Estate. (of the McDonald Douglas Company). When we needed to tie a new screening room into the 400’ upper lateral I did some investigation and found they had built a 10’ long whole hose trap in the front yard. As this home was built during the Depression I am guessing they had a reason for the trap at the time. I talked to the County and I was told to eliminate it. We removed the trap and completed the lateral without ever having a problem. That was the only whole house trap we have ever run into in this area.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thank's Greg I wonder if the supply houses still carry the metal vented covers? Up the street one house ,The plumber did a cast iron lateral replacement. He installed a jim cap with holes drilled in the rubber. Will stop by the P.supply tomorrow.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thank's Greg I wonder if the supply houses still carry the metal vented covers? Up the street one house ,The plumber did a cast iron lateral replacement. He installed a jim cap with holes drilled in the rubber. Will stop by the P.supply tomorrow.
          If not, plumbing supplies in and around Philly have them...all over the place...4" Round Vent lids...reasonable price too..
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            We do not have whole house traps in the areas I work. Many years ago we did a chrome-off and re-porcelain restoration of the 12-bath Donald Wills Douglas Estate. (of the McDonald Douglas Company). When we needed to tie a new screening room into the 400’ upper lateral I did some investigation and found they had built a 10’ long whole hose trap in the front yard. As this home was built during the Depression I am guessing they had a reason for the trap at the time. I talked to the County and I was told to eliminate it. We removed the trap and completed the lateral without ever having a problem. That was the only whole house trap we have ever run into in this area.

Mark

Yes that what i am seeing around here...If the line is getting replaced, alot of the municipalities require you to remove the trap and put a T cleanout in ...

Mark is there an advantage to replacing traps with Ts??? i know from a drain cleaner point of view its easier to clean the line...

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
              Yes that what i am seeing around here...If the line is getting replaced, alot of the municipalities require you to remove the trap and put a T cleanout in ...

Mark is there an advantage to replacing traps with Ts??? i know from a drain cleaner point of view its easier to clean the line...
              I would be careful and check with your jurisdiciton before you remove a house trap. Both the UPC and the IPC state Building Traps are prohibited "unless required by the local authority". In many old districts they are still required.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I would be careful and check with your jurisdiciton before you remove a house trap. Both the UPC and the IPC state Building Traps are prohibited "unless required by the local authority". In many old districts they are still required.

Mark
                Yes, that is where you see the change alot..the local jurisdictions...The City its trap out trap in...some other local jurisdictions now requiring a cleanout right after the trap too

Comment

I have run into "running traps", or "curb traps" a few times. I always replace them when I run into them, the main reason for them out here is if the laterall is connected to a high velocity, large city sewer line and there is a chance of trap siphonage.

I have only had one where the c/o was brought to grade, it happened to be this one that I replaced because a plumber broke out the bottom of the trap snaking it, causing many stoppages.

I agree with greg, when snaking a mainline and running into these traps, the cable will either torque up, get stuck, or not clear the stoppage. When I have had trouble clearing the running traps, I have dug them up, and located a nice milk shake of poop sludge, waste, toilet paper that had built up.

Yummy! stick a fry in it
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Mark
                    I'm with Utah here. Running traps are discouraged by the UPC, but major cities like San Francisco (one of my favorite cities) often have their city requirements. Check with your inspector. If it is not required, eliminate it.

A long winded reply that says: What Utah said.
                    the dog

Comment

They are very common on the east bay (Oakland and Richmond) and also Crockett.I once did a camera for a customer and found the house trap to be inside the house...They had added on to the house so many times over the years that the foundation walls were on the outside of the trap.And yes most inspectors want them removed .

Comment

We have house traps (located in the house) plus individual fixture traps.

A franchise sent a a guy to snake out the main trap and he did not replace the street side cap (4" running trap)

Directly across the street is the Russian compound and these guys were working on the cars and dumped the gasoline down a storm drain on their property.

That night there was a heavy rain and some water with gasoline went across the street to this womans house and her boiler came on and the flame caused a hell of an explosion.

Thankfully no one was hurt and of course there was no way to collect from a foreign government.

Do they require a fresh air inlet 1/2 the size of the building hose drain but in no case less then 3" located at least 6" off the ground (on storm piping it is not required)

Comment

In SF The running traps at curb have or had a cover. This is an approx 6" square cover with vent holes. It is also hinged to allow for snaking.

Comment

I have to replace my house trap (SF 9th & Judah) . I am a handy home owner and not a pro. I exposed the trap and surrounding pipes and can see there is some concrete mortar around the joints. If i chip away the mortar can I then shake the trap off like I can do with a sink trap? Or do I need to break the trap in half to get it out? If I have to break it how can I get the new one back in?

Comment

I am near You tomorrow, Noe valley. Be glad to take a look.
                              Check Your messages. Tool

Comment

Working...
                              X