Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WISDOM (as told to me)

As a young minister, I was asked by a funeral director to hold a grave-side
    service for a homeless man, with no family or friends.
    The funeral was to be held at a cemetery way back in the country, and this
    man would be the first to be laid to rest at this new cemetery.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods area, I became lost; and being a
    typical man did not stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late.
    I saw the backhoe and the crew, who was eating lunch, but the hearse was nowhere in sight.

I apologized to the workers for my tardiness, and stepped to the side of the open grave, where I saw the vault lid already in place.
    I assured the workers I would not hold them up for long, but this was the
    proper thing to do.

The workers gathered around, still eating their lunch. I poured out my heart
    and soul. As I preached the workers began to say "Amen," "Praise the Lord," and "Glory"!

I preached, and I preached, like I'd never preached before: from Genesis all the way to Revelations.

I closed the lengthy service with a prayer and walked to my car.
    As I was opening the door and taking off my coat, I overheard one of the
    workers saying to another,

"I ain't never seen anything like that before and I've been putting in these septic tanks for twenty years."

A MEN and Have a great week end..Sylvan

Re: WISDOM (as told to me)

ROTFLMAO...I like that one
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Copy, pasted and saved...that was funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvan Tieger View Post
        As a young minister, I was asked by a funeral director to hold a grave-side
        service for a homeless man, with no family or friends.
        The funeral was to be held at a cemetery way back in the country, and this
        man would be the first to be laid to rest at this new cemetery.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods area, I became lost; and being a
        typical man did not stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late.
        I saw the backhoe and the crew, who was eating lunch, but the hearse was nowhere in sight.

I apologized to the workers for my tardiness, and stepped to the side of the open grave, where I saw the vault lid already in place.
        I assured the workers I would not hold them up for long, but this was the
        proper thing to do.

The workers gathered around, still eating their lunch. I poured out my heart
        and soul. As I preached the workers began to say "Amen," "Praise the Lord," and "Glory"!

I preached, and I preached, like I'd never preached before: from Genesis all the way to Revelations.

I closed the lengthy service with a prayer and walked to my car.
        As I was opening the door and taking off my coat, I overheard one of the
        workers saying to another,

"I ain't never seen anything like that before and I've been putting in these septic tanks for twenty years."

A MEN and Have a great week end..Sylvan

You're a great salesman, you don't impress me.
        the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
          You're a great salesman, you don't impress me.

Well possibly one of the members will explain the humor in it as not everyone can comprehend humor. Nothing personal and thankfully having a great personality usually will over come a persons short comings in skill.

Over the years as an expert witness I noticed If a person screws up but gets along people he is is less likely to be sued then someone with a lousy disposition and they can be tops in the field.

I found prior to getting down to the business end of this profession I tell a short story and people laugh and makes for a lot stress as now the ice is broken and we can then start to talk seriously about how a job should start and getting along with all the trades is very important.

the key is getting your foot in the door being an amazing salesperson and the rest just follows a natural pattern.

YOU may be "impressed" if you read a book "how to make friends and influence people"

bow wow oops I mean dog

Comment

Well possibly one of the members will explain the humor in it as not everyone can comprehend humor. Nothing personal and thankfully having a great personality usually will over come a persons short comings in skill.

Over the years as an expert witness I noticed If a person screws up but gets along people he is is less likely to be sued then someone with a lousy disposition and they can be tops in the field.

I found prior to getting down to the business end of this profession I tell a short story and people laugh and makes for a lot stress as now the ice is broken and we can then start to talk seriously about how a job should start and getting along with all the trades is very important.

the key is getting your foot in the door being an amazing salesperson and the rest just follows a natural pattern.

YOU may be "impressed" if you read a book "how to make friends and influence people"

bow wow oops I mean dog

Let me guess...by dale carnegie...I already read it.They also have courses here in la...i'm sure you already took some

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
              Let me guess...by dale carnegie...I already read it.They also have courses here in la...i'm sure you already took some

Oh my dear lady, you have no idea the education one needs today in any field they want to exceed in.

I was just at the Carnegie Deli AFTER going to a B 'Way Show how did you know?

ELR (HR)

ADA

OSHA

MSDS

NIOSH

ASME

AWWA

AWS

NAPHCC

NFPA

NBBI

Aux Police

DAV

JWV

NRA

and lots and lots of CEU's and still learning every single day

the more licenses one holds the more they need to keep upgrading their skills

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...02246532BElkpq

Comment

the more licenses one holds the more they need to keep upgrading their skills
                That is logical obviously!!! The same is with technology,the same is with medicine. You can't take a license and stay still in time!!!

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...02246532BElkpq

why aren't you being nice with my friends on the forum?

zasto se ponasas kao glupan?
                Last edited by mrs. westcoast; 09-29-2007, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
                  zasto se ponasas kao glupan?

God, I need to learn another language (not Spanish), so I too can cuss someone else out and they won't have a clue what I said.
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

bow wow oops I mean dog

I've read the book, when I was a teenager, and found it useless for wisdom. Like I said, you're a salesman. If you're looking for wisdom I would suggest:

The Gita
                    The Critique of Pure Reason by Kant
                    Go, Down , Moses by William Faulkner
                    The Tempest by William Shakespeare
                    Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
                    and Genesis from the Bible.

That would be the start of your education, beyond Dale's over-rated book for car salesmen.
                    the dog

Comment

Good advice but the problem is that due to your lousy disposition, you've built up a thick wall of ice that a simple joke cannot undue. A little too late. Your knowledge has become clouded by your first impression that you gave off. Do not take this personal, it's not an attack, just an observation. You might want to think about this the next time you go to another forum.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I remember in third grade there was a kid who was different, he dressed different, made no outward signs of trying to conform to the other kids for acceptance.
                        At recess a few of the other kids used to pick on him.
                        Despite teachers warning, the kids still kept picking on him.
                        Later that year we learned he'd been transferred to another type of class, for gifted kids.
                        He could have been a slow kid and the story here would still retain it's point.
                        This isn't third grade.
                        Adults have supposedly learned to let things go, to look at the good side of a person rather than dwell on negatives, particularly past negatives.
                        I'll admit I have probably missed some of Sylvans comments that aroused this anger in the first place.
                        I skimmed/skipped some of his more verbose posts.
                        I guess I find myself wondering, are you guys attempting to run him off?
                        Is there a productive purpose to negative comments to a guy who simply starts a thread with a joke?
                        Is this a way of weeding out the "riff-raff", the undesireables?
                        I feel like I'm watching weekly episodes of "survivor" - and I hate that show.

Comment

Duck,
                          I appreciate your depth and compassion,your wife has made a great catch.

The problem lies in the simple fact on a persons agenda being so absurdly self serving while having the intention of steamrolling over everything in their path no matter what it takes.

I can see how these responses have made you look to see if this forum is one that reflects your beliefs on how people interact.I respect this and hope you are not too hard on us.

Your a breath of fresh air here,plenty of smiles,thank-you

I would like to explain more but am very slow at typing and wanted you to get this much while your still online today.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            I remember in third grade there was a kid who was different, he dressed different, made no outward signs of trying to conform to the other kids for acceptance.
                            At recess a few of the other kids used to pick on him.
                            Despite teachers warning, the kids still kept picking on him.
                            Later that year we learned he'd been transferred to another type of class, for gifted kids.
                            He could have been a slow kid and the story here would still retain it's point.
                            This isn't third grade.
                            Adults have supposedly learned to let things go, to look at the good side of a person rather than dwell on negatives, particularly past negatives.
                            I'll admit I have probably missed some of Sylvans comments that aroused this anger in the first place.
                            I skimmed/skipped some of his more verbose posts.
                            I guess I find myself wondering, are you guys attempting to run him off?
                            Is there a productive purpose to negative comments to a guy who simply starts a thread with a joke?
                            Is this a way of weeding out the "riff-raff", the undesireables?
                            I feel like I'm watching weekly episodes of "survivor" - and I hate that show.
                            Your very astute.

Comment

Point well taken Mark (Duck), I don't nescassarily agree with it in this situation but point well taken.
                              Last edited by gear junkie; 09-30-2007, 11:14 AM.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X