Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: rinnai

Originally posted by brucestorey View Post
    We aren't required to use drip legs here, either, because our gas is "clean." I, however, still use them because I know that the process of manufacturing a black steel gas system is not clean. There is no way possible to effectively clean all of the oil and chips that make their way into the pipe when you are threading. All of this matter eventually makes its way to the end of the line. And if there isn't a drip there, it will get into the gas valve. This is not speculation, but fact. I have seen it happen. I break-down several gas systems every month to repair leaks that have been present for years and always check the drips when I replace a gas water heater, so I see what collects. I have also seen the screens of gas control valves that are almost completely blocked by oil and chips from threading -- even when there was a drip present. I have also seen drips full of water that came from our "clean" gas. I don't care what minimum code dictates -- I install drip legs.

Bruce
    If the lines were properly cleaned (blown out with nitrogen) and care was taken during threading like making sure the oil is used on the out side of the piping not inside then the screens should not be blocked.

Think about the fire suppression piping systems and if this same type of sloppy workmanship was used where sprinkler heads were installed and they are rendered useless as the orifice was blocked.

Steam heating and hydronics and pneumatic controllers one can not leave these systems filthy as oil would cause foaming in the steam systems and actuators would not function once the diaphragm was exposed to cutting oils.

If the installers are sloppy /careless then it doesn't matter what the piping system is

Comment

How does a person "take care" when threading so as not to get oil on the inside of the pipe? I never squirt oil on the inside of the pipe when threading, but yet it always seems to end up there. I must be doing something wrong. Not sure if its right or wrong, but a can of Brakekleen cleans the inside of pipes out very well.

Comment

Just on the off chance there might be residual sediment/sand/grit inside the gas main and it gets shaken up while I work on it....I use 'em.
        Not to mention the fact that we have to - as inspectors want to see them here.
        I'm NOT saying there's a right or wrong, I'm NOT saying someone is a "moron" for using them or not...just comparing notes with a few peers and maybe exchanging thoughts on the pro's vs cons.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
          How does a person "take care" when threading so as not to get oil on the inside of the pipe? I never squirt oil on the inside of the pipe when threading, but yet it always seems to end up there. I must be doing something wrong. Not sure if its right or wrong, but a can of Brakekleen cleans the inside of pipes out very well.
          If my machine is "leaning even a slight bit the wrong way(left end down as your facing the tool)" alot more oil gets in the pipe.Threading end down lets the oil fall off and out as your threading.The machine does not have to be out of level that much as you don't want to loose your oil pump pick-up.Only have to offset it slightly.

Hope this works for you.Are you even using a machine.If not I'm gonna feel silly

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Hope this works for you.Are you even using a machine.If not I'm gonna feel silly
            Machine?...There's a machine that threads?

Comment

Originally posted by ericwagner4 View Post
              robert,
              nice job w/ tankless.
              how many fixtures can this unit handle?
              what is gpm flow at what temp raise?
              what price are you getting these units for on west coast?
              was the rinnai certification class a pain in the *** - as i understand in order to purchase, the installer must be certified?
              you guys do not need drip legs on gas pipe?
              up in nj we install a lot of takagi mobius.
              big flow units w/ a big pricetag.
              work really nice for big houses.
              we even installed another manufacturer electric tankless requested by customer on a historic building.
              the thing required like 3 100 amp electric mains.
              specs said like 7 gpm flow at 50 degree rise - but water pipe inside unit is like 3/8 o.d. - maybe more like 3 gpm
              wouldnt reccommend installing one
              take care
              eric
              Eric,

this was the 2532FFU
              15,000 min-180,000 max btu
              hot water capacity range: .6 to 8.5 gpm
              max hot water capacity, 35 degree rise: 8.5 gpm
              77 degree rise: 4.1 gpm
              90 degree rise: 3.5 gpm

I get the units for around $970.00, this unit, the 2532ffu which is the r85 unit with the part number 2532.

these units can be very touchy and are sensative to lack of gas and water supply. I find I have to tie the unit in at the main water and run it untouched to the unit, the main water supply has to stay the same size as the main branch that enters the house, example, 1" enter's the house, 1" needs to run to the unit and reduced down at the unit, 3/4 enters the house, 3/4 has to run to the unit. no other fixtures can be tied into this main.

the gas has to be pulled from the meter and sized to the max btu rating, if the gas is undersized, the unit may work, but not to it's max if the gas is undersized, which will cut down on flow rate.

not a fun unit to retrofit, new construction, it would be great.

Sorry the response took so long.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Aaah, very touchy.
                Are these things you'd learned the hard way about this unit on your own, or passed on to you?

Comment

Per 1212.7 UPC

The sediment traps are in the 2003 UPC, and I believe the 2006, although the book is in my van, this is what it states:

Where the sediment trap is not incorporated as a part of the gas utilization equipment, a sediment trap shall be installed as close to the inlet of equipment as practical at the time of equipment installation.

Then it goes on to tell you the approved fittings to make a sediment trap and then:

Illuminating appliances, ranges, clothes dryers, decorative vented appliances for installation in vented fireplaces, gas fireplaces, and outdoor grills shall not be required to be so equipped.

We will let Mark explain this code to us. I should have installed one, It slipped my mind, as many of us west coasters stated, it is not in common practice.

good call east coast guy's btw, we have different gas out here our gas is better
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

er...yeah...flakey galvy n' all....

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                      Aaah, very touchy.
                      Are these things you'd learned the hard way about this unit on your own, or passed on to you?

I learned the hard way on the very first installation, thought I did it right, but ended up using a 1 x 3/4 tee, when I should have used a 1" tee, the reduced at the unit, very sensative unit.

the training class never mentions any of this about the water pressure, they only mention about the gas. water is very important also.

Do you guy's run into the same issues back east?
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

On a Bosch I did...the ONLY Bosch I ever did.
                        Whenever someone turned on a faucets cold side, the blower would briefly start but no ignition.
                        Expansion tank resolved the issue..the flow switch was so sensitive any small shock was giving it a false start.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                          On a Bosch I did...the ONLY Bosch I ever did.
                          Whenever someone turned on a faucets cold side, the blower would briefly start but no ignition.
                          Expansion tank resolved the issue..the flow switch was so sensitive any small shock was giving it a false start.

The very first Bosch I installed was about 5-6 years ago, it had 1/2" waters pressure loss for sure.

The customer still has that unit, suprising, it stilll works. thanks for the info on the expansion tank, if I ever have that problem, I will do the same.
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                            The very first Bosch I installed was about 5-6 years ago, it had 1/2" waters pressure loss for sure.

The customer still has that unit, suprising, it stilll works. thanks for the info on the expansion tank, if I ever have that problem, I will do the same.
                            Wow,that's it?
                            Remind me never to go into battle with you,I might get left behind
                            Garager has been waiting for two days for your answer
                            I hope I'm never on your payroll

Glad you have some time to relax Robert,I'm also happy you are being blessed with so much work.Keep doing what your doing,I would like to see a hard working,conciensious person like yourself benefit greatly from starting up his own buisiness.

Same goes for you Duckman!!!!

Comment

If my machine is "leaning even a slight bit the wrong way(left end down as your facing the tool)" alot more oil gets in the pipe.Threading end down lets the oil fall off and out as your threading.The machine does not have to be out of level that much as you don't want to loose your oil pump pick-up.Only have to offset it slightly.

Thanks! I have an old 700 Pony with a Ridgid Tri-Stand. I think next time I am running gas pipe I will cram my cell phone under the back leg of the stand to keep the oil from running in the pipe. I'll let you know how it works and if theres any ill side effects to my phone.

Comment

Wow,that's it?
                                Remind me never to go into battle with you,I might get left behind
                                Garager has been waiting for two days for your answer
                                I hope I'm never on your payroll

Glad you have some time to relax Robert,I'm also happy you are being blessed with so much work.Keep doing what your doing,I would like to see a hard working,conciensious person like yourself benefit greatly from starting up his own buisiness.

Same goes for you Duckman!!!!
                                Got sick yesterday, something in the chest and nose felt like crap lastnight, couldn't post, sorry still feel like crap, but had to work today, got off early, thanks to the YMCA and having to re-bid the work I showed up to complete this afternoon

I have been very blessed with my business, and I am very greatfull for everything that has taken place.

No worries on the battle thoughts, I have no reason to show my friends up (unless your rick, kidding rick), althought I think your being sarcastic adam I had to comment on your battle comment

Thank you for the compliments
                                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X