Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: rinnai

Originally posted by garager View Post
    I just have one question for you Robert. Do all Tankless heaters exhaust go vertical in Cal. or can you also go horizontal too?????

By the way, nice job.
    Sorry Garager, I totally read right past your question buddy, yes, you can go horizontal, right out the side of the house, direct vent, same style vent, just pitched towards the exterior for the condensate, over 5'

they have a vent kit for this type of installation, the customer chose to have it run verticle through the roof, less then 5', no need for a condensate drain and trap.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Just another thought for your question,if you are looking at puting one in somewhere.There are certain distances we have to be away from doors,windows,soffits,eaves and property lines in our code district.If someone is looking for a good place to place one in their home....Ahhh,you know

Comment

Another question, did you cut the roof/seal the vent or did a roofer do that?
        Can I assume that since your not licensed, a roofer or a handyman! would do have to do something like that??
        Thanks
        Tom

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Just another thought for your question,if you are looking at puting one in somewhere.There are certain distances we have to be away from doors,windows,soffits,eaves and property lines in our code district.If someone is looking for a good place to place one in their home....Ahhh,you know
          Depending BTU output, usually 4 feet from the nearest door/window.
          No walkways, no jogs, and here where the snow falls we have to be sure the vent terminates a minimum 28" above grade.

Comment

The authourity having juristiction tells us how close they can be to windows, now, the manufacturer say's 12", I have called various cities, and they said that whatever the manufacturer recommends is fine, so always check your local code and mention to them the manufacturers minimums.

As far as the vent penetration, I cut out the old flashing and the new vent slipped down, 0" clearence manufacturers spec's, once again, check with local codes, sometimes the manufacturers spec's are excepted by the city.

the flashing on the new vent from rinnai is extra large, so just tuck the top under the shingles, and roof nail with Henry's over the top, no warranty on roofing, thats up to the customer to handle, we're not roofers or electricians, we're plumbers! I do not do roofing or electrical, I'm not licensed in that area.

BTW, on placement, manhattan beach requires 4' from the property line and 3' clearence on a walkway, as many cities do.
            Last edited by westcoastplumber; 10-03-2007, 09:14 PM.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Man, how do you guys do it? I couldn't even imagine living so close to someone that I'd have to worry about weather or not my vent is 4' from the property line. I can't even build within 75' of my property line and if you ask me even thats too close.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

most of our houses are approx 2-3' from property lines, some less, some a bit more, down int he beach cities, it is worse, they build two three story houses with like 3' clearence all the way up,

hi neighbor, need some toothpaste
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
                  How does a person "take care" when threading so as not to get oil on the inside of the pipe? I never squirt oil on the inside of the pipe when threading, but yet it always seems to end up there. I must be doing something wrong. Not sure if its right or wrong, but a can of Brakekleen cleans the inside of pipes out very well.

Small pieces of paper towels in the ends of the pipe immediately after cutting.

Drip legs are very common and still required here. You can ruin a gas valve if you direct connect without a drip leg if the guy made numerous turns and bends to get to that valve and that oil runs into/clogs that fine screen.

That and some guys are overkill with the pipe dope; sometimes the opening of the pipe is 2/3rds restricted. Rare but it happens.

If they stil allowed that Gasolia Red pipe threading sealant that was red and hardened like glass.....that would deter theft off the drip leg; couldn't get the connections back apart.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    Depending BTU output, usually 4 feet from the nearest door/window.
                    No walkways, no jogs, and here where the snow falls we have to be sure the vent terminates a minimum 28" above grade.
                    So the tankless has a blower in the unit.And it can be vented horizontaly.This leads me to believe that it is considered a mechanichal vent.Wow Duck I just looked in the UPC,we can stub out 6,9 or 12" below or around a door or window for mechanicals.I have to read more to see if we need to still need to maintain the ten feet from forced air make up inlet.

Comment

Working...
                    X