X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Type K, L, M designation

I really wish they would enforce K soft copper only in my state for underground.

I get a few calls a week due to plastic piping breaking undergound. Sure, it's job security but it's job screw-it-to-yah when you install that, especially incorrectly like it so often is. If you don't snake it or bury it in sand only,,,,you'll be back or someone will.

People driving the buck though. They do the price comparison and since copper is always high, they take the cheap road. Don't think I don't hard jab people in parting on the phone as I say GOOD LUCK and here's the number to my outside guy.

My last sentence deserves a new thread started.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

This is one of those questions no on ever thinks about including me. My guess would be it is a designation made by the ASTM Standards for tube and is based on a thickness scale.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        This is one of those questions no on ever thinks about including me. My guess would be it is a designation made by the ASTM Standards for tube and is based on a thickness scale.

Mark
        I have no life, I look for questions like this to bring balance and harmony in the circle of life.
        Last edited by gear junkie; 10-01-2007, 11:53 PM.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ben,

If you wanted to figure something out it should have been why our system of measuring temperatures is so dumb compared to the Brits.

We took a tube with a bunch of numbered lines on it and said look it was at 212 when it boiled. Then we froze it and said it froze at 32. The Brits took a tube with no numbers and when it boiled said lets make that 100 and when it froze they said lets make that 0. After reviewing the rational between the two systems I am still wondering how we ever won our independence.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

just Dumb American Luck I Guess????

Jerrymac
            JERRYMAC
            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Now I'm confounded with 2 questions. Will I have no peace?!!!!
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Ben,

If you wanted to figure something out it should have been why our system of measuring temperatures is so dumb compared to the Brits.

We took a tube with a bunch of numbered lines on it and said look it was at 212 when it boiled. Then we froze it and said it froze at 32. The Brits took a tube with no numbers and when it boiled said lets make that 100 and when it froze they said lets make that 0. After reviewing the rational between the two systems I am still wondering how we ever won our independence.

Mark
                i was bored and looked it up since i couldnt remember exactly lol..
                Fahrenheit Scale

The Fahrenheit scale (°F) was the first widely used temperature scale. It was developed in the early 18th century by G. Daniel Fahrenheit. The zero point of the Fahrenheit scale is attained by mixing equal parts of water, ice, and salt.
                Fahrenheit set the number 32 at the freezing point of water. He set the boiling point of water to 212 on his scale. 180 equal divisions or degrees (°) are marked on the Fahrenheit scale between the freezing and boiling points of water.
                The Fahrenheit scale is still used in the United States to measure temperatures at or near the Earth's surface. The rest of the world uses the Celsius scale.

Comment

Salt Changes the natural temp. I wonder why he used it

Now it appears to be even more of a lame scale.

Comment

Here's the answer, the guys from that copper website responded to the question;
                    IN THE EARLY 1900S,THERE WERE 14 TUBE ALLOYS NUMBERED A THRU N. N STOOD FOR NAVAL BRASS TUBE.TYPES K,L AND M WERE ASSIGNED TO COPPER WATER TUBE.
                    This answer was copy and pasted from my email. Now if only we could figure out the temperature thing.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I was right! I was right!
                      It was alphabetical, sorta.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                        I was right! I was right!
                        It was alphabetical, sorta.
                        Finally, its over now

Comment

Originally posted by Hondahead View Post
                          What? No mention of type H? (color coded white) Also, type G is coded brown. ACR and type G are considered tubing, not tube and are measured by approx. OD rather than approx. ID as is tube. I guess if you can't blind 'em with brillance you baffle 'em with bull$hit right ST?

Nope as All tubing is OD but plumbers call it by the nominal size DUHH

When IM in an AC (HVAC) store I say I need so 5/8 ells Otherwise if I said 1/2" I would get a plumbers 3/8 Understand? and Canada only copies what the Americans do rather then try to become really qualified like the Brits and Aussies I know because when I passed the U/A class A journeyman's license it said USA and Canada.

That is why I do not take Canadian standards to seriously EH

I see the national health in Canada by your posting shows it is NOT working BACK to the old drawing board MATE

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            You're hilarious, what are you talking about? How does this relate to copper?
                            Means all the good (lower cased) letters were all used up Like KLM air lines instead of TWA and OBA rather then say oxygen mask (OM) the USN said OBA and said do not throw the used canister in oil

See what fire fighting school in great lakes can do for alphabeting

Comment

WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvan Tieger View Post
                                Nope as All tubing is OD but plumbers call it by the nominal size DUHH

When IM in an AC (HVAC) store I say I need so 5/8 ells Otherwise if I said 1/2" I would get a plumbers 3/8 Understand? and Canada only copies what the Americans do rather then try to become really qualified like the Brits and Aussies I know because when I passed the U/A class A journeyman's license it said USA and Canada.

That is why I do not take Canadian standards to seriously EH

I see the national health in Canada by your posting shows it is NOT working BACK to the old drawing board MATE

More talking out your arse. You are a blow hard buddy, your " U/A class A journeyman's license" is bogus. I doubt you could pass a NPC entrance exam let alone a NPC equivalence exam. I work with Brits, Aussies and Americans and can tell you they are not any better trained than Canadians.

Your obvious social inadequacy is no doubt the result of physical and emotional short comings, seek help.
                                You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Working...
                                X