X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type K, L, M designation

How did copper get this designation? Why'd they pick those 3 letters, do they stand for something?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Type K, L, M designation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_water_system

It doesn't really answer your question, but it may come in helpful to someone at times. If you work down to COPPER there's some good info there to print out.
    Last edited by Woussko; 10-01-2007, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Good question,

I have not freakin' idea

Looking forward to an answer.

Comment

All I know is it's alphabetical, the lower on the alphabet, the thicker the wall.

Comment

Type K, L, M WHAT about the OTHERS?????

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          How did copper get this designation? Why'd they pick those 3 letters, do they stand for something?

"K" extra heavy, "L" medium "M" light (they BE TALKIN WALL THICKNESS)

The internal diameter changes BUT not the outside diameter

To keep it in simpleton language lets think type schedule 10 THIN (steel) wall pipe Then schedule 40 standard then 80 Extra heavy and then 120 EXTRA EXTRA heavy used in very high pressure applications ( That will be discussed in class THREE)

Why made you think THREE?

What about DWV and ACR (TYPE G) don't they count ?? how about type T.P Copper

K tubing normally used under ground L above ground M = heating and in poor code area's they do use M for water distribution

Then there is bending often called HARD (Drawn Temper) and there is annealed known as SOFT temper and Both can be soldered, brazed or welded

Tubing in the bending or soft temper can also be joined by flare.

Amazing what a FIRST YEAR apprentice learns

Class TWO

We will discuss "color coding" of the various copper tube designations EXCEPT ACR which does NOT have a color code

Ridgid makes amazing tools for soldering and swedging and flaring.

Depending on which "temper" one orders what its limitation and pluses are.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            All I know is it's alphabetical, the lower on the alphabet, the thicker the wall.
            Duck what about "ACR" where would this be placed?

Comment

Sylvan,

Thanks for the lesson, but I think most all of us already know what the designations are;

The question was where the designation came from being. Why were those letters chosen??

regards

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post
                Good question,

I have not freakin' idea

Looking forward to an answer.

Hi Biscuit, lets make it more "technical" as your into engineering

Type K and Type L can be used for medical gases.

Type G would be used for natural gas and propane distribution (CHECK HJA) of course)

ACR is used for air conditioning and refrigeration and comes in coils and straight lengths Soft ACR does not require any marking as mandated by the federal government.

Copper tube, Type K,L,M,G, and DWV and medical gas must be permanently marked (Incised) Also check the NFPA.

The color code is Blue, Green, Yellow and I think I remember the colors as it has been many years since my masters exams

I believe L is Blue K is Green M is RED DWV is Yellow

ACR is also blue Type G is Yellow.

The reasoning for the
                Incised markings is the color can wear off and bums in the trade are knowing to take steel wool and wipe off the Cheap DWV and pass it on as L

Want any more information please feel free to contact me

Comment

Sylvan,

I was not trying to get technical on you, I know everything you just mentioned and I am sure a few others in here know that as well.

The question I would like to know the answer to is : where did the designation letters K,L,&M come from. Why pick those, Forget DWV and ACR etc.

Got to run, its almost beer thirty down south.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post
                    Sylvan,

Thanks for the lesson, but I think most all of us already know what the designations are;

The question was where the designation came from being. Why were those letters chosen??

regards
                    ABC was taken by the NFPA

Class A fire anything that leaves an ASH

Class B fire is liquid fuels like gasoline or oils, etc

Class C is electrical

and there is a Magnesium which was supposed to have a D classification BUT seeing as how these fires cannot be put out with conventional fire suppression systems I think they forgo the D and just pray that no one tries to use water to put it out

Then there were the letters NBC (nuclear, biological and chemical) warfare

Then other associations took letters like ASME,ASTM,NFPA,NAPHCC,ASSE,ASE,API,AGA,GAMA,ADA,OS HA,NIOSH,CS,CC
                    CS,FS and a host of others so the CDA just took what they could before they all were used up

Comment

Biscuit,

What Sylvan is trying to tell you is that he doesn't know the answer to the question but hopes to confuse you enough to think that he does.

Comment

Thanks

[quote=plumberscrack;96878]Biscuit,

What Sylvan is trying to tell you is that he doesn't know the answer to the question but hopes to confuse you enough to think that he does.[/quote

Your explained it perfectly clear thank you.

I see how technical a foreman has to be I am impressed. thank you

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          Biscuit,

What Sylvan is trying to tell you is that he doesn't know the answer to the question but hopes to confuse you enough to think that he does.
                          OHHHH,THAT FELT SO GOOD.Thank you Crack.....<SIGH OF RELIEF>

Comment

The answer probably lies here but just can't find it right off.

www.copper.org

Comment

I saw Sylvans answer, plus his reply to me..searched frantically for this link:

Copper Tube, Pipe & Fittings: Technical References: Copper Tube Handbook: Index of Tables

To discover I was wrong, Sylvan was right and Crack already posted the homepage link above. (I'll never be right)
                              I say Sylvans ugly and his mommy dresses him funny though, so there.
                              I was told years ago that copper was rated alphabetically, and now it's in writing, that was incorrect info.

As for the tutorial on DC central...not sure where that came from, but I had the enjoyable occasion to don an OBA and stand behind the spray in my share of training back in the day.

Comment

Working...
                              X