X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thank you Josh!!!!!!

I take it that Sylvan has been tossed from the forum.

I strongly disagree. I have been a critic of his, to the point that I researched the two websites he controls. I didn't like the racism in those websits, nor did I like the exclusive nature of those websits. In my opinion he was trash. But who am I to decide what opinions should be allowed.

My problem is that blocking him from this site accomplishes the same thing his sites adhere to. If you don't agree, you are out of here. We have a very strong forum and should be able to post and disagree with anyone. If it is a pain, welcome to the world of free speech.

As always,

Just my opinion.
    the dog

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post
      Does it have anything to do with the initials "ST"??
      I believe so - check one of STs posts and look under his name...
      "Banned"

While I found him annoying, I don't think banning was the right reaction...
      --Maybe a temporary moratorium on his posting..
      Until he could learn to get along at least...
      Last edited by markts30; 10-02-2007, 10:14 PM.

Comment

One of the members who has been here for Quite along time told me the Ridgid forum has not had to take this type of action before.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post

I strongly disagree. I have been a critic of his, to the point that I researched the two websites he controls. I didn't like the racism in those websits, nor did I like the exclusive nature of those websits. In my opinion he was trash. But who am I to decide what opinions should be allowed.

My problem is that blocking him from this site accomplishes the same thing his sites adhere to. If you don't agree, you are out of here. We have a very strong forum and should be able to post and disagree with anyone. If it is a pain, welcome to the world of free speech.

As always,

Just my opinion.
          I agree with you 100% dog.

I almost found myself getting into a "pissing" match with him, but refrained over the last couple day. Its just not worth the bandwidth that ridgid provides us at no cost.

I do not know that banning him was a decision that I would have made or not. But its not my forum and bandwidth that is in use and to add to that , I respect any decision that Josh or whomever made.

Regards,

Comment

This was a tough decision but it was firmly based on clear qualification for dismissal. And yes Adam is right... this is the first banning of someone for something other than spam or pure trolling.

reason was Racist Comments.

I knew Dog would have a tough time with this one because of our wide open discussion standard... Please know that I didnt just toss him because of all the conflict. I think the conflict rose to a level that brought out some of Sylvan's racist comments and that was enough to let him go. There have been suggestions to tone down some of the insults and racist insults really have no place on this forum.

Its not just a free speach thing when it comes to racism. Racism wont be put up with and as some of you experienced in your research thats the way he was. I hoped he would fit in eventually but I wont put up with racist insults.

Good or bad I made the call. Please dont worry about me just axing members if they cause trouble. There was a legitimate reason in this case.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post

As always,

Just my opinion.
              Dog,
              I disagree with you,I felt his agenda was harming the purpose of the Ridgid forum.His posts were absorbing the boards with ca-ca.
              ST wanted to be let go to bend the perceptions of those who were not informed and could be bluffed to follow his flute.
              It was hard for me as a youngster who values the meaning of a mans word here meaning everything.To him it meant nothing.
              Some of my senior members advised me to ignore it.
              I was unnable to,due to the fact that he was belittling knowledgeable people and trying to bend people away from them with nonsense.
              You know these type of people,I'm sure you have come across them at least a few times in your travels.
              No dissrespect in the least.
              Adam

Comment

Cast iron...naaahh, solvent fumes.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                  Cast iron...naaahh, solvent fumes.
                  I've always wondered about those.
                  Maybe that is what makes me so short fused.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                    This was a tough decision but it was firmly based on clear qualification for dismissal. And yes Adam is right... this is the first banning of someone for something other than spam or pure trolling.

I knew Dog would have a tough time with this one because of our wide open discussion standard... Please know that I didnt just toss him because of all the conflict. I think the conflict rose to a level that brought out some of Sylvan's racist comments and that was enough to let him go. There have been suggestions to tone down some of the insults and racist insults really have no place on this forum.

Its not just a free speach thing when it comes to racism. Racism wont be put up with and as some of you experienced in your research thats the way he was. I hoped he would fit in eventually but I wont put up with racist insults.

Good or bad I made the call. Please dont worry about me just axing members if they cause trouble. There was a legitimate reason in this case.

Josh
                    Josh,

I must have been blind to the racism, but if that was the case, I could not agree with you more.

I applaud you for making a decision and sticking with it.

Great job, keep up the good work, have a beer on me and all that.

REgards,

Comment

Thanks' Josh He was tearing down a lot of good work. Please don't 2nd guess yourself!
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post

Josh
                        I, as always, respect your opinion Josh, because it is based on reason and self-reflection. I know you did not take this lightly.

I, on the other hand, find myself in the uncomfortable position of defending someone (and that's a liberal interpretation) whom I detest. I have been critical of him, and some know I actually joined his forums under false names for research purposes. What I found disturbed me. I may be opinionated, but I find insulting remarks about race or religion unacceptable.

But that does not mean someone should be silenced. I think there are strong members of this forum who could and did respond to him.

This is my last post on this subject, because I find Sylvan and his kind so ugly, I feel dirty defending their right to expression. But it is something I feel compelled to do.

I understand your decision, Josh, I just disagree.

Dyrty,

I respect your opinion, though it does not agree with mine.
                        the dog

Comment

dog, lord knows we have had "our moments" but i see this like this. if one member causes the group to lose active members due to being "racist" that is not fair to the group. but since i have not been able to be here like i have been in the past i am a bit lost with this whole deal. though i do have the jist of it. but was this guy warned? if so how? and did his actions push josh into a corner that finally left no other options?

some times we our own worst enemys
                          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I'd be going into battle without a weapon if I were to say Sylvans posts weren't racist.
                            Truth be known I barely read many, they were just too long.
                            I'm both surprised and impressed with Dogs answer, hats off to you for not catering to popular concensus and standing by what you beleive right.
                            Personally, I say it's a shame someone with so much experience has lost the ability to exchange his experience here.
                            Another member sent me a link to a post of his in August while I was off on honeymoon, I'd missed it altogether.
                            After reading it I came to the conclusion that there was a "shock-jock" mentality going on...being appauling for the sake of attention lost my vote.

Comment

Josh

I think you did the right thing. Acts of hatred have no place on any forum and especially one open to the general public.

Comment

Wow I am gone for a day or so and all heck breaks out. I can't say that I will miss Sylvan but I do think he could have been a valuable member of the site if he could only learned some people skills.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X