X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• favorite tool in your toolbox and rothenberger questions

hey guys and gals, i'm new to the forum but not to the industry. i'm a third year apprentice union plumber/pipefitter and just enjoy talking to others in the trade about more laid back work related topics. such as what is your favorite tool or tools in your arsenal. first off i would definitely have to say my basic Leatherman sidekick. The most versatile tool known to man. I don't wear it when i'm not working and i constantly find myself reaching for it when it would be handy. secondly, my ridgid 10 inch water pump channel locks. by far the best pair of channel locks i have ever owned. never slip, perfect adustments for all pipe sizes, and very comfortable fit for your hand. last but not least (even though it's not necessarily a tool) is my Garrity LED headlamp that i permanently rigged to my hardhat. it has six settings two of which are red lights. very bright, fully adjustable, long battery life, and completely hands free. believe it or not in industrial work that blinking red light comes in very handy when working around heavy equipment.

now a question, i heard about the rothenberger line and looked on their website and it looks like they've got some pretty good looking hand tools. i was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this brand and their quality, and of course their price. look forward to hearing from you all.
    thanks

Re: favorite tool in your toolbox and rothenberger questions

My favorite tool in my toolbox would be my ppc 6700-my cell phone and my loreal #700 lipgloss

Comment

I use my plumbing hand tools daily so they all seem to blend in together.I do like the one technology advancement,the mini box laser,for layout.It shoots over the 1 1/2 bottom plate of framing so I can do the building end to end without having to measure every separate space and offset,also makes a world of difference replacing the plumbob for setting anchors.

But my most enjoyable days are the ones when I'm blasting through rack after rack of 16 penny nails with my Hitachi NR-83A nailgun (framing)

Comment

Originally posted by hiler_411 View Post
        hey guys and gals, i'm new to the forum but not to the industry. i'm a third year apprentice union plumber/pipefitter and just enjoy talking to others in the trade about more laid back work related topics. such as what is your favorite tool or tools in your arsenal. first off i would definitely have to say my basic Leatherman sidekick. The most versatile tool known to man. I don't wear it when i'm not working and i constantly find myself reaching for it when it would be handy. secondly, my ridgid 10 inch water pump channel locks. by far the best pair of channel locks i have ever owned. never slip, perfect adustments for all pipe sizes, and very comfortable fit for your hand. last but not least (even though it's not necessarily a tool) is my Garrity LED headlamp that i permanently rigged to my hardhat. it has six settings two of which are red lights. very bright, fully adjustable, long battery life, and completely hands free. believe it or not in industrial work that blinking red light comes in very handy when working around heavy equipment.

now a question, i heard about the rothenberger line and looked on their website and it looks like they've got some pretty good looking hand tools. i was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this brand and their quality, and of course their price. look forward to hearing from you all.
        thanks
        It seems it is my camera any more.

As far as Rothenberger, I use their pipe machine, tubing cutter and their copper reamers but have not tried any thing else.

Mark
        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 10-03-2007, 11:32 PM.
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

OH SHOOT,
          Hey Hiler,
          Welcome to the forum,Unending experience and knowledge here with these guys.

Rothenberger,I use my Thread-O-Matic pipe machine frequently.She has been with me since the mid eighties.....so has my hair
          Done hundreds of home gas fabs.Thousands of threads.Replaced the jaws twice.Still runs like the day I first used it.

Adam

Comment

Rothenberger was recently bought out by Greenlee. Their tools are competetively priced, but their customer service SUCKS. Some of thier die heads will take universal dies but not all of them so you have to be careful purchasing them or you are gonna be stuck with rothenberger dies. You are probably more likely to find a repair house with ridgid parts than rothenberger parts.
            Check us out at:
            http://www.fwbrental.com
            Specializing in electrical and mechanical contracting equipment!

Comment

Originally posted by brianb View Post
              Rothenberger was recently bought out by Greenlee. Their tools are competetively priced, but their customer service SUCKS. Some of thier die heads will take universal dies but not all of them so you have to be careful purchasing them or you are gonna be stuck with rothenberger dies. You are probably more likely to find a repair house with ridgid parts than rothenberger parts.

Ridgid makes the best dies, barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr none. I have assaulted Ridgid for their Chinese power tools, but their dies are the best, and they stand by them. I've had experience with Rothemburger, I'll tell you this go find replacement parts.

Stick with Ridgid, or you're wasting your money and time.
              the dog

Comment

My fav is my 25 fatmax tape !!!!!!!The best tape in the world.

Comment

It's probably my dewalt 18 volt snake flashlight. It's amazing how much easier work is when you can see what you're doing.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The smaller Rothenberger tubing cutters(about 4" closed) tracked on a piece of 1" "L" right out of the box.They will only cut true in one direction(counter clockwise) similar to a worn out tool.

Thank goodness I bought them as a special purpose tool and not a replacement for a broken Ridgid.

Ridgid still kicks the snot out of the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Gage Mc. View Post
                      My fav is my 25 fatmax tape !!!!!!!The best tape in the world.
                      My helper loves his.Great for supporting copper while soldering.Little overkill for me as most of my 100's of measurements don't require the span that fat max offers.The concrete formsetters won't use anything but,even though there springs don't last half as long as the stanley 25'.The stanley 30' has the same overworked spring problem.

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
                        My favorite tool in my toolbox would be my ppc 6700-my cell phone and my loreal #700 lipgloss

BTW, that was funny.
                        the dog

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

Ridgid still kicks the snot out of the competition.
                          Get the Lennox. You'l throw your Ridgid tubing cutters away.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Come on guys, as any first year apprentice will tell you. A tape measure and a level are the two most important tools in the box. Next is the pen I use to endorse the check
                            sigpic

Comment

I would have to say my rotary hammer. It is an off brand but it is a work horse. I have used it several times to go through foundation walls, garage floors and it keeps eating up the work.

I was also wondering if anybody has ever used a Basin Buddy or the ridgid faucet and sink installer.

Billytwohatz

Comment

Working...
                              X