Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Job Related Question With Picture Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: Job Related Question With Picture

    I'd be careful installing a new valve on old nut & ferrule although I've done it in a pinch.

    Some older compression stops seem to have a more coarse thread than the ones made today.

    You might be able to get it started but it won't tighten down.

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: Job Related Question With Picture

      LOL Maybe I'll just wait til Bruce is done before I post my responces

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: Job Related Question With Picture

        Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
        Does anyone know where to get a puller at?

        Also how come it's not safe to just add a new valve on the old nut and ferrell? I'm just curious.

        I got my puller at ferguson, they have a heavy duty one for like 40-50 dollers. It may be around $30, can't remember. There are many types out there, so you need to find one that you like, personal preference.

        As far as leaving the old nut and ferrell on with a new valve........I have done it so many times, especially when the bathroom is on the bottom of a multi story building, or when I am unable to get the water turn off alll the way.

        The thing you have to watch is the threads. Some are fine thread and some are course threads. Also, when you leave the existing nut and ferrell, you need to be real carefull the new one seals up with the existing nut, if I end up leaving the old ferrell and nut, I hand around a bit longer and re-check my install to make sure they sealed properly, sometimes you have a chance for a leak.

        The other rreason would be the crappy looking nut on the valve. If it looks like crap, I always change the whole thing out, including the escusion.

        Very good question Aaron. I am eagerly awaiting the other comments

        PS- remember when you get your new puller, be aware that the ferrell will have a tendancy to stretch the pipe when you remove it, it all depends on how tight the valve was installed. You will not get a new ferrell to re-seal on stretched copper, so be prepared to solder on a MIP. You will catch on to what I mean when you start pullen alot of ferrells.
        sigpic

        Robert

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: Job Related Question With Picture

          Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          Is this a misprint or are you showing off?
          Nope,11 houses 28 angle stops 35 minutes per house on a Saturday.The company told me we were going to start setting finish on the small tract the following Monday.Company owner told me I could take eight hours no matter when I finished.

          I'm the one showing off

          Adam

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: Job Related Question With Picture

            Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Nope,11 houses 28 angle stops 35 minutes per house on a Saturday.The company told me we were going to start setting finish on the small tract the following Monday.Company owner told me I could take eight hours no matter when I finished.

            I'm the one showing off

            Adam
            very good adam. as long as you don't have to crawl into cabinets and lay down to access the stubs, it can very easily be done.

            production work is a lot different than a single family home remodel.

            once you get set up to do something, you do it all day and stick with it. same thing with installing appliances.

            rick.
            phoebe it is

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: Job Related Question With Picture

              My record -
              9 commercial gas lines - just over 100' apiece, over 900 linear feet of 1-1/2" steel gas pipe with unistrut trapeze's measured/cut/drilled/anchored into the slab above with 3/8" threaded rod and a 90 degree offset for all 9, all pipes clipped, measured, cut, threaded & tightened 3-1/2" C to C.
              Done in 6 hours, a coworker p-ed me off by yelling at me in front of the boss, I decided to show him up.
              His smug comments on how my tests wouldn't hold were suppressed the next morning when all guages were holding.
              The boss made a crack about how he wanted him to snap at me more often.
              Wound up being friends with the coworker. (despite the bosses advice)
              My back/shoulders ached for two weeks.

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: Job Related Question With Picture

                Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                My record -
                9 commercial gas lines - just over 100' apiece, over 900 linear feet of 1-1/2" steel gas pipe with unistrut trapeze's measured/cut/drilled/anchored into the slab above with 3/8" threaded rod and a 90 degree offset for all 9, all pipes clipped, measured, cut, threaded & tightened 3-1/2" C to C.
                Done in 6 hours, a coworker p-ed me off by yelling at me in front of the boss, I decided to show him up.
                His smug comments on how my tests wouldn't hold were suppressed the next morning when all guages were holding.
                The boss made a crack about how he wanted him to snap at me more often.
                Wound up being friends with the coworker. (despite the bosses advice)
                My back/shoulders ached for two weeks.
                Right on DuckMan,Nothin like kicken' some a$$ every now and then HuH?

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: Job Related Question With Picture

                  Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                  My record -
                  9 commercial gas lines - just over 100' apiece, over 900 linear feet of 1-1/2" steel gas pipe with unistrut trapeze's measured/cut/drilled/anchored into the slab above with 3/8" threaded rod and a 90 degree offset for all 9, all pipes clipped, measured, cut, threaded & tightened 3-1/2" C to C.
                  Done in 6 hours, a coworker p-ed me off by yelling at me in front of the boss, I decided to show him up.
                  His smug comments on how my tests wouldn't hold were suppressed the next morning when all guages were holding.
                  The boss made a crack about how he wanted him to snap at me more often.
                  Wound up being friends with the coworker. (despite the bosses advice)
                  My back/shoulders ached for two weeks.

                  Thats pretty good ducky. steel gas goes pretty quick for me, no problems.

                  It's pretty good, cause you had to do the all thread and all, ping the concrete, hang the uni-strut and rock and roll, all in one day
                  sigpic

                  Robert

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: Job Related Question With Picture

                    Right, boss admitted he only expected the strut up that day.
                    Learned soon after that pushing yourself is stupid, especially when there's no real incentive.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: Job Related Question With Picture

                      Spray a shot of wd40 on the ferrule and pipe then use puller. I don't stretch the copper nearly as often as i used to, unless someone has really cranked on it.

                      wookie

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: Job Related Question With Picture

                        Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                        Right, boss admitted he only expected the strut up that day.
                        Learned soon after that pushing yourself is stupid, especially when there's no real incentive.
                        What,Buying your boss his second vacation home is not enough incentive.How unapreciative some people can be for the excercise program employers provide.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: Job Related Question With Picture

                          Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          What,Buying your boss his second vacation home is not enough incentive.How unapreciative some people can be for the excercise program employers provide.
                          Oh, I work hard now.
                          The new boss is very happy with that and I save health club membership fee's too.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X