Job Related Question With Picture

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Related Question With Picture

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around much lately, I've been really busy with work.

Here's the layout so far.

I'm working with 8 Delta Faucets, and they are the Handle Less style and this is in a commerical building.

I got my 2 1/2"x3/8" angle valves.

I then will be going into my 'Mixing' or Temperature Valve, which then ties into the Control Module then into the Faucet.

My boss gave me a roll of 3/8" copper and told me to bend the copper to the angles and lengths I need. This will be hours and hours of work not needed in my opinion. Also he told me that the 3/8" soft copper would support the Mixing valve. I feel this is not right, using soft copper to support the Mixing valve, wtf?!

I would rather install a 2"x4" and attach my Mixing valve to that, and connect in with flex lines. Am too far out of line to ask him to buy 16, 12" 3/8" nut by 3/8" nut flex supply lines?

I need to install the supplies tomorrow so please reply ASAP.

Here's 4 for the lower level of the building.

Here's one all trapped out.

Here's a shot from the under side. That grey box is the Control Box. Inside is 4 AA batteries that can run through 10,000 cycles before dieing. Each cycle is 20 seconds. My mixing valve would go below the Control Box, as you can see, where I would start(valves) and end(Mixing valve) is alot of angles.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Re: Job Related Question With Picture

I have done many dozens of these...
    The little mixing valve can be adequately supported by the copper...
    Use a 1 to 1 1/2" piece below the controller box...
    Do yourself a favor - turn the stops down so your faucet supplies are coming out the bottom - save you a foot or more of tubing and a lot of time each lav...
    If you have a good tubing bender and know how to use it, it can turn out to be a very neat install...

Comment

A buddy lent me his Ridgid one, but I can only make right angles, not left angles. You don't think it'd be faster to just use flex's? I'm not usually a flex fan, but in this situation I am.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Whatever happened to roughing the waters in at 8" with the drain in the center and the waters level with each other? This looks like what production residential plumbers are hiding in cabinets these days.

The 2" X 4" and flexes will look ugly while properly bent copper will make you look like a pro.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

LOL no left angles...good one Aaron

I agree with Mark it would look more pro with rigid tubing. You pride yourself on neat looking work. You know what to do.

Which mixing valve are you going with that needs a block of wood for a mount?

Keep it high and tight under the sink. No one wants to see exposed tubing everywhere.

Maybe the boss didn't price the job with you spending hours under each sink.

IMO the angle stops look better tight to the eschusheons without the copper showing.

Comment

My shop never used compression stops on new work until after I sold the business. I made the guys use drop ear fittings and brass nipples.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              My shop never used compression stops on new work until after I sold the business. I made the guys use drop ear fittings and brass nipples.

Mark
              Spoken like a true old schooler

Aaron does this have to meet ADA requirements?

Comment

Mark- It's called, what happens when you put residential plumbers in a commerical environment.

How do I bend the 3/8" soft copper properly with the Model RG44852 Tubing Benders? I can make one 90* turn, but I can't make any more. Basically, I need to know how to make a "U" out of the pipe.

P.C.- I can't re-call the maker of the Mixing Valve off the top of my head, but I'll let ya know tomorrow.

And as far as your question goes asking about A.D.A. requirements, I don't know. Is there something I've done wrong if this needs to meet the A.D.A. requirements? I know about the trap and valve covers, but I haven't been told to order them yet, if... at all?!
                Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

you can bend 180 1st bend the 90 then turn the tube and bend the 2nd 90 it wont be a tight 180 like other benders take some tube and practice remember you dont always have to have the short stub to the left

Comment

For a tight 180 degree bend you would need to use a 400 series bender.

Mark

Comment

A couple things Aaron,

First, I agree with Utah, the rough-in is a joke.
                      Second, I would explore turning the stops downward as suggested earlier also.
                      Third, Remember he is the "BOSS", it may not be wise to second guess what he has alread dictated you to do.

Just something to think about.

Regards,

Comment

As I stated above, turn the stops over and have the copper coming out the bottom...
                        Then you don't have to make the 180 Deg. bend...
                        Just a couple 90s for it to look nice and neat...

Comment

Come on, people

That rough in is already 8" too low and you want him to run the supply lines down and then back up?

Strap it to the baseboard, hell I don't care

Comment

Been down this road before

Doing work at Kahn's when I was union service plumber and we had to run all stainless steel tubing to the slop sinks.

Some guys pick up a bender and work it like magic, others like myself will spend twice as long and many mistakes trying to make it happen.

The boss probably spec'd soft copper due to the cost of all those SS flexies which add up in total.

Take it as good practice/learning and if you are one of those who picks it up and does well.......you'll enjoy these types of applications in the future.

Me in my bad shape I spend as little time on my hands and knees as I can....you get that way when you're older and wiser. pops pain pill
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              LOL no left angles...good one Aaron

I agree with Mark it would look more pro with rigid tubing. You pride yourself on neat looking work. You know what to do.

Which mixing valve are you going with that needs a block of wood for a mount?

Keep it high and tight under the sink. No one wants to see exposed tubing everywhere.

Maybe the boss didn't price the job with you spending hours under each sink.

IMO the angle stops look better tight to the eschusheons without the copper showing.
                              In my opinion,

I don't see any reason not to use compression angle stops. I've done tons of public works projects in California, most of which require threaded angle stops, which I used. But I don't know of a good reason for not using compression angle stops.
                              the dog

Comment

Working...
                              X