Why Does This Make The News?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Does This Make The News?

I feel sorry for this lady and her family, but CNN makes national news of something we see on a regular basis. I see this at least a couple of times a month and usually it happens to more than just one house or business at a time. Around here, the County would take responsibility in this situation. Whatever happened to backwater valves any way?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/off...home.stew.wltv

Re: Why Does This Make The News?

Yes this happens all too often. What I can't believe is the County is not taking responsibility. Around here the sewer districts are very quick to respond and even stick around to lend a hand if it turns out not to be on their end.
    I'm glad I live in the back woods because we still know how to watch each others backs and do whats right.
    Now the home owner will get a lawyer and the county will have theirs. By the time this is all done both sides will have spent more $ on lawyers then the original cost of clean up. All because the county won't do what is right. It's like spending a dime to save a nickel.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I have worked on a couple of cases where the home is flooded from the municipal sewer. I know of only one case where the homeowner won and that case was over turned on appeal. Bottom line if you have fixtures below the next upstream manhole you have to have a working backwater valve.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

looks like an awful problem. what can a homeowner, hooked to a municipal sewer connection, do to prevent such a sewage backup?
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
          looks like an awful problem. what can a homeowner, hooked to a municipal sewer connection, do to prevent such a sewage backup?
          This is what:

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          I have worked on a couple of cases where the home is flooded from the municipal sewer. I know of only one case where the homeowner won and that case was over turned on appeal. Bottom line if you have fixtures below the next upstream manhole you have to have a working backwater valve.

Mark

Comment

She is over reacting IMO.

Most of what backed up into her house was rain water mix with a little bit of sewage....BFD

It's not like everyone on her street crapped on her kitchen floor.

My homeowners insurance covers this but had to pay a little extra for this type of coverage.

Does yours?...better read the fine print.

Comment

Every case I have ever worked on of this type, the owner has demanded their house be torn down to the ground and completely rebuilt. It is a pretty stressful thing to see your house full of sewage. In our area it would be sewage only and no rain water.

Mark

Comment

Last year during a few days of very heavy rain, a (usually) small stream swelled and broke its bank on a sharp curve, flooding an entire neighborhood. All of the houses have basements and most flooded to about 8' deep -- some higher than the basement and into the first floor level. The main source of the flooding water was from the sewage system, where the flood waters made their way into the manholes and flowed through basement fixtures and floor drains. Some of the basements flooded because the flood water burst-through the basement windows. There was a fine line where the County and insurance companies would accept responsibility. If the owner could prove the water/sewage came from the pipes, they were covered, but if the County or insurance company could prove that the water came through a window or door, they were screwed -- even if their basement floors and walls showed evidence of sewage. So, if a window was broken, there was no coverage, but if there were no broken windows, they were covered. But this was only the case after I spent hours writing letters for different owners for their insurance companies, proving the damage was from sewage. If I hadn't done this for the first person who called me to assess their plumbing damage, nobody in the neighborhood would have known they might be covered. In fact, most had already been denied coverage by their insurance or the County and later hired me (I charged very few) to investigate their situation. Most of these people were later granted coverage because of the letters I wrote.

I think, initially, the insurance companies and the County knew they were responsible in most of these cases, but did everything they could to defer responsibility. I couldn't believe how blatantly irresponsible they were in denying fault and denying insurance claims, leaving the costs of this huge disaster in the hands of their tax payers and policy holders. I was very proud and happy that I (a lowly plumber) was able to make such a positive impact for so many people who thought they were going to have to spend their life's savings to just normalize their life.

I made a lot of very loyal customers from this disaster, but I made a lot of insurance companies and County officials very angry. In my opinion, that's a fair trade.

Bruce

Comment

Burce,
                  Thats what I'm talking about when I say " doing whats right". You pissed off the ins co. and county but you didn't play their monkey boy doing tricks and hoping they will throw you a banana(future work). Too many people fall for that and are willing to sell their morels to the deep pockets.
                  Good job!
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Most standard homeowner policys exclude flood coverage. Because of that I have to buy a seperate rider for flood coverage. If you live in an area which can flood I would advise obtaining flood coverage.

Mark

Comment

No one touched baser on the fact that the drain cleaners are notorius for breaking the backwater valves because they are not aware of the installation.

Mark, a question for you, when you have an operating backwater valve and a plumber goes to clean the main line, breaks it, who's fault is it?

I assume it would be the last plumber out there to the site.
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                        Mark, a question for you, when you have an operating backwater valve and a plumber goes to clean the main line, breaks it, who's fault is it?

I assume it would be the last plumber out there to the site.
                        I don't think it is really that easy as a lot of things have to be looked at. Backwater valves are suppose to be accessible so the first question would be was the valve where the drain cleaner should have seen it. In addition, you would factor in how obvious was it there would be a need for a backwater valve. If the dam of the shower pan is 1" below the upstream manhole it is a lot difference than if the kitchen sink was 72" below the upstream manhole.

As far as blame, I would say if the drain cleaner brakes the backwater valve but it was not his fault based on the above senarion, yet he neglects to advise the homeowner of the need to replace it (if he knows) he would have a higher liability then if he had noted it on his invoice.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X