X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Dope

Could the plumbers who apply both pipe dope and teflon to the same threads please tell me which they consider better to apply first and there theory as to why one technique is better than the other.

I have a youngster that is having a problem listening to common sense.I have already explained to him my way,He just keeps coming back every couple of weeks with a new theory how his way is better.

Couldn't think of a better way to quiet him down than to bring it here and put up in front of you,the forum with hundreds of years of experience.

Adam

Re: Pipe Dope

I use tape then dope. I've never done it the other way, but it seems like the tape would slide around and not be as usefull. I'll go out to my truck and see.
    Brent

Comment

I put on teflon tape, then use dope, I put the dope on the same direction I put the tape on.

sandwich the tape between the dope and threads, do not sandwich the dope between the threads and the tape.

I have never installed the teflon over dope, but I am thinking that it wouldn't be a good idea. the teflon wouldn't adhear properly to the threads.

So, teflon then dope, thats the right way
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Why do you guys use both, Teflon tape and pipe dope, together?
        Is it code or just extra security?
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
          Why do you guys use both, Teflon tape and pipe dope, together?
          Is it code or just extra security?

nothing to do with code, just extra security, especially when your running med pressure gas lines
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

I do the same as the above statements
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I use Pro-Dope, then tape, the Teflon paste, then another layer of tape. Then I epoxy the whole mess after I screw it together with a pair of 24s (with cheaters of course) as tight as I can.

If it even looks like its gonna leak I put a couple passes of P5 on there and cap it off with some 7018 rod, flattop it with a 4" grinder, buff it up with some flapper wheels, and add another coat of epoxy paint for good measure and to fill in any porosity.

---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

the only time i use tape and dope is when i have a bad thread or a bad spot to get to .
                on natural gas they do not want us to use tape bit there are times i use a tape that is approved for natural gas .

i say if you have a good pipe dope you do not need tape to .
                and if I'm doing small fittings 1/4 and smaller i will use tape so the dope does not clog the small opening
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

The double up I only use on 1-1/4 and up,espescially C/Out plugs,also use a small amount of beeswax on the female threads of the f.i.p. if the 3" or larger fittings are going under a head test.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    I use Pro-Dope, then tape, the Teflon paste, then another layer of tape. Then I epoxy the whole mess after I screw it together with a pair of 24s (with cheaters of course) as tight as I can.

If it even looks like its gonna leak I put a couple passes of P5 on there and cap it off with some 7018 rod, flattop it with a 4" grinder, buff it up with some flapper wheels, and add another coat of epoxy paint for good measure and to fill in any porosity.

No duct tape!!!!!!
                    I hope your not thinking of calling yourself a pro

Comment

One more vote for tape, then dope. Dope, then tape makes no sense to me. I tape, then dope, on anything that is going to be a pita to take apart.

Comment

Dope, tape, dope.
                        Thats how I was taught, pro-dope is my preference over rectorseal, I like how it spreads.
                        Dope gets brushed into the threads, not just on them.
                        If I have no dope I'm confident with extra tape and some elbow grease.
                        If I have no tape, it's a run to the supplier.

Comment

So this is good.I like different opinions

To those who use Dope first.I was under the impression that the tape doesn't get tight down into the valleys of the male threads.Then the dope fills easier into the female.

Beleive me guys,This is an enigma to me as this discussion has come up many times over the years.I almost am starting to think the difference is not as drastic as I first believed.Although Thousands of fittings(99.75%) have proven themselves not to leak for me with tape first.

Comment

I use tape and then la-co slic tite or maglog, on all my pie connections of ever size, i use a small dab on my finger for 1/4" 3/8" or other small joints,
                            it always works!!! good on compression angle stops

JERRYMAC MASTERPLUMBER
                            JERRYMAC
                            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I never use dope on compression fittings. That is the idea of compression fittings.

Interesting, does anyone else use dope on compression fittings?

to me, thats like using dope on water heater flexes, which already have a washer

Good thought on if you dope before you tape, the tape will not get into the threads like if you tape before you dope.

Tape, then dope
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X