Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why is pex bad?

Originally posted by Jones Mechanicals View Post
    If this is the same pipe I think you are describing, that system had a major fitting recall and had yet to offer a new approved fitting. They poured a lot of it in concrete around here for infloor heat.
    It sounds like he is describing Kitec PEX-AL-PEX. There was not a fitting recall but there was limited areas of the country where the "yellow" brass fittings were failing due to the incompatible water. As soon as the problem was found, Kitec manufactured bronze fittings and swapped them out for the "yellow" brass fittings. Shortly after they started manufacturing plastic fittings. Since then IPEX closed down the Kitec brand.

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 10-21-2011, 08:16 PM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I remember when i moved to fla about 15 yrs ago and they were using pex with copper fittings. Hydrostatic tests wer done up to 250 psi and everything held. The lawsuit wasn't about the pipe but the plastic (nytrile - i think is what they called them) fittings. Me personally i don't like it. Makes anybody think they can be a plumber. While you can do a nice looking installation just not my cup of tea

Comment

My plumber uses the Upnor (sp?) brand. Any of you guys use it? There is a huge Upnor plant/warehouse about 4 miles from my house.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          It sounds like he is describing Kitec PEX-AL-PEX. There was not a fitting recall but there was limited areas of the country where the "yellow" brass fittings were failing due to the compatible water. As soon as the problem was found, Kitec manufactured B
          bronze fittings and swapped them out for the "yellow" brass fittings. Shortly after they started manufacturing plastic fittings. Since then IPEX closed down the Kitec brand.

Mark
          The fittings had an issue with the metal mixture and began sealing closed.
          Kitec Plumbing System Products Liability Litigation
          http://kitecplumbing.com/

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            Rodents would be another problem, but I hear that the rodents won't go after clear pex, so I guess that solves that problem.
            Whoever told you that, is sorely mistaken. Those little b******s flooded my office and brought down an entire ceiling.

Comment

Yes I am fairly familiar with the lawsuit. I was the Expert representing Kitec. I spent several years doing inspections and looking at metallurgical reports. One of the sites you posted is a repipe plumber who is doing repipes and the other is a site that gets paid for everyone they sigh up for the real Attorneys. Obviously the HO is better off going to one of the Attorneys of record. The case was in Las Vegas and all of the "yellow" brass has problems in Las Vegas.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                My plumber uses the Upnor (sp?) brand. Any of you guys use it? There is a huge Upnor plant/warehouse about 4 miles from my house.

Nothing wrong with Wirsbo, now Uponor. I'm certified to install it but decided not to anymore. A few reasons and mostly before they started selling the red and blue pex. The clear Uponor after being installed for a while turns dark brown or even green depending on your specific water conditions. Hard water and it turns brown. We've all seen what happens to the inside of copper pipes when you cut them open.
                The town next to ours it turns green because of the conditions of their water. It ended up being a big turn off for customers. I know they addressed this with the newer colored Uponor pex but still.
                Also it takes me a LOT longer to install vs what I'm using now. Truly just a pain in the azz to make joints imo.

I like using Viega Pureflow. IMO it's a better connection and it's faster. I can do at least five joints in the time it would take to do one Wirsbo. I like Viega's bronze fitting and stainless still cup type sleeves too. Just feels more like a real mechanical joint, that's because it is.

Comment

I really know next to nothing about the topic, but one thing I've noticed since getting lazy and doing my remodel in pex is that a glass of water from my kitchen faucett tastes like plastic. I sing row row row yr boat twice now before filling my glass. Longevity issues aside, for this reason alone I'll never use it again.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I hate the taste of the plastic as well! The only thing I dislike more than the taste of the plastic is the smell of sulfer in water. YEECH! Makes me want to dehydrate and die!
                    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                      I really know next to nothing about the topic, but one thing I've noticed since getting lazy and doing my remodel in pex is that a glass of water from my kitchen faucett tastes like plastic. I sing row row row yr boat twice now before filling my glass. Longevity issues aside, for this reason alone I'll never use it again.
                      Must be brand specific. I've never noticed it before and haven't had any complaints.

Comment

Got to cut drywall and tungue and groove fir out of a four year old house i had plumbed. The nervous feeling of what the hell where is this water coming from. Its been fine for four years it was tested whats going on? Cut open the ceiling in the bottom bathroom to get access to the waterlines then i find the first leak couldnt even see it you turn the pipe and a slow mist would appear on the floor joiist fix it then cut another hole where the drywall appeared wet no go its coming from upstairs rip wayne scotting off and find second leak another small mist barely noticlable. Phone wholesaler stink bugs or cedar bugs are the culprit..... Pex wirsbo any cross linked plastic

Comment

personally, I just don't like what it has done to the trade. I like the sense of accomplishment after walking away from a well done sweat job. I also think that same well done copper job will last longer than the pex job.
                          Originally posted by NHMaster3015
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I must admit some surprise to the failures by bugs and rodents others have experienced. We use PEX in large quantities for infloor radiant heat. There is literally 100s of miles of this stuff in and under floors around here. When the winter season comes in so do many rodents to those houses. In the last 8 years serving this area I have not seen one case that is related to bugs or rodents. Almost every leak I have found in PEX was related to a nail, screw, or screwball with a drill.

Comment

I must admit some surprise to the failures by bugs and rodents others have experienced. We use PEX in large quantities for infloor radiant heat. There is literally 100s of miles of this stuff in and under floors around here. When the winter season comes in so do many rodents to those houses. In the last 8 years serving this area I have not seen one case that is related to bugs or rodents. Almost every leak I have found in PEX was related to a nail, screw, or screwball with a drill.
                              Same here, I've never had a call where a rodent or a bug has caused a leak.

Comment

I really like Wirsbo piped with remote manifolds. It is quiet. I wonder about bacteria build up on well water though. I haven't heard anything negative yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X