X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial job

Here are a few pictures of a project we started a few weeks ago. This is some of the work we did the week, its just the rainwater but there is more to come if anyone is interested or wants to critique our work. Before anyone says anything I know I should have cleaned up before I snapped the pictures.

The two pictures on the right are 12" cast iron that we finished yesterday. We could not get them to hold pressure and had to dig up the entire line, half of which had already been tested and now lies under 4' of concrete.

General info about this project can be found at
    http://www.uga.edu/campuslife/facili...eek1/index.htm

-Will
    Attached Files

Re: Commercial job

Originally posted by BayleyBrown View Post
    Here are a few pictures of a project we started a few weeks ago. This is some of the work we did the week, its just the rainwater but there is more to come if anyone is interested or wants to critique our work. Before anyone says anything I know I should have cleaned up before I snapped the pictures.

The two pictures on the right are 12" cast iron that we finished yesterday. We could not get them to hold pressure and had to dig up the entire line, half of which had already been tested and now lies under 4' of concrete.

General info about this project can be found at
    http://www.uga.edu/campuslife/facili...eek1/index.htm

-Will

When I do long runs and have to backfill before I am complete, I terminate where I have cover, run my test before I backfill to make sure that later I don't have to dig up the line, especially if I have to pour concrete.

I ask the inspector to come and check the line that is complete, the inspectors are really good about making partial inspection when a trench is concerned because of the liability and danger of open trenches.

I am curious, why was the trench covered before that section was tested? Or was it tested and passed, then when you guy's re-tested the complete line, it failed at that point? Did the additional head cause the covered section to fail??
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

in the middle picture, what did you coat the top half of the pipe with?

why?

why bell and spigot and not no-hub?

just curiosity.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I tried to edit and add a question, but it didn't work, so I will post another question.

I don't do too much rainwater, none for new construction, but your drain looks more then 2%, does your code regulate fall on rainwater? I would think that rainwater is like waste lines to a point, when the drain is graded to much the solids are left behind?? In this case it would be dirt, rocks, leaves etc.

Please advise on this as I will learn something new today
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

why?

just curiosity.

rick.

I'm not sure the top of the pipe was coated with anything, it may have been shaded at one time with dirt causing a dirt line on the bottom pipe.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

[QUOTE=PLUMBER RICK;98581]in the middle picture, what did you coat the top half of the pipe with?

why?

just curiosity.

rick.[/QUOTE

Rick,

He appears to be working on a College, so I assume it was in his specs.

I'm with westcoast, the line should be tested before backfill and concrete. If it is running inside of the building a test would be required prior to backfill in California. If it is a storm sewer located outside of the puilding it normally does not require a test, although some juristictions require it. Grade on a large storm sewer is normally set by the civil engineer who provides invert elevations at various points, such as manholes, catch basins and lateral tie-ins.
            the dog

Comment

my problem is with the OSHA approved ladder
              how do you get away with that
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

For my state, there would be either a ten foot riser connected vertically and filled to the top with water (ten ft head, .434 psi), or a test guage set at 5psi without the riser.
                Maybe I'm not seeing it, but it looks like the soil under the pipe isn't backfill - hard to tell.
                Here, we'd need to have the pipe backfilled and just exposed enough to view what fittings/offsets were made for inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                  For my state, there would be either a ten foot riser connected vertically and filled to the top with water (ten ft head, .434 psi), or a test guage set at 5psi without the riser.
                  Maybe I'm not seeing it, but it looks like the soil under the pipe isn't backfill - hard to tell.
                  Here, we'd need to have the pipe backfilled and just exposed enough to view what fittings/offsets were made for inspection.

Same here ducky, it's called shading, the inspector wants to see clean spoil
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Now thats a good looking ditch,nice to run pipe on something that's dug properly.

Can you elaborate on the leak,maybe when you find it
                    Something like that would ruin my month

Some nice looking pipe though,how's your back

good luck on the leak.

Welcome to the forum

Comment

Yea, 12" Bell and Spigot...what a ball buster

I'll bet next time you water test the line before you backill

It is a nice looking ditchline but looks a little fast to me.

It's been awhile since I've seen a backhoe operator grade a good ditch.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                        I am curious, why was the trench covered before that section was tested? Or was it tested and passed, then when you guy's re-tested the complete line, it failed at that point? Did the additional head cause the covered section to fail??
                        We tested then back filled then added more and retested the complete line. Space is so tight in the area we are working we have to do everything in baby steps.

Not sure what caused the failure at this point, its up to the General Contractor when we get under the footer.

Comment

I wonder if it separated while backfilling.Looks like it's time for someone to do a Spielberg.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

why?

just curiosity.

rick.
                            Not sure what is on top of the pipe, some pieces come that way but we don't apply anything. Its a new supplier of pipe for us by the way and we are having mixed reviews

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                              I tried to edit and add a question, but it didn't work, so I will post another question.

I don't do too much rainwater, none for new construction, but your drain looks more then 2%, does your code regulate fall on rainwater? I would think that rainwater is like waste lines to a point, when the drain is graded to much the solids are left behind?? In this case it would be dirt, rocks, leaves etc.

Please advise on this as I will learn something new today

From my understanding you can have as much or as little fall as you need on rainwater.

Comment

Working...
                              X