Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The use of a Plumb Bob?!

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    I am seriously interested in learning the advatages and techniques of the folding rule.A senior tradesman told me to get one.
    Oh ****,I just thought of one after you got me using my head after all these years of not having one.
    Up on the six footer and you gotta find out how much to cut off your hockey stick to make an offset from the hole to the pipe below...unfold 6 inches and stick it up in place...one hand.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      Up on the six footer and you gotta find out how much to cut off your hockey stick to make an offset from the hole to the pipe below...unfold 6 inches and stick it up in place...one hand.
      O.K.I'm ignornt,what's a hockey stick.I cannot find it anywhere in the UPC.Oh,it must be in you jurisdictions code

No really,I have no idea what you are trying to teach me.

Comment

Gunner, find that in UPC.

Hockey stick, must be a local term.
        When you have copper in a tight spot, like around a PVC drain and ya don't feel like messin' with heat shields, you prefab a "Hockey stick" and slide it in place.
        Get it?

Gunner is slang for a piece of pipe either dry-fitted or put in place to size/measure, in case you guys don't use that term either.

Comment

Duck, do you also have pop in your icebox?

Thanks for the East coast-to-English dictionary.
          Last edited by MrsSeatDown; 10-16-2007, 12:40 AM.
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            Gunner, find that in UPC.

Hockey stick, must be a local term.
            When you have copper in a tight spot, like around a PVC drain and ya don't feel like messin' with heat shields, you prefab a "Hockey stick" and slide it in place.
            Get it?

Gunner is slang for a piece of pipe either dry-fitted or put in place to size/measure, in case you guys don't use that term either.
            Gunner?,as soon as you cross the mississippi you can call it a shooter.
            Just kidding,I have only heard myself call em that.
            Hockey stick,dunno.I'm lost,but you guys are used to that by now,all it takes is for me to think about it

Comment

Learn the art of using a plumb bob, then put it away next to the old star bits.

Get a self leveling laser to become a quick an accurate professional...

The best time saving invention since the boom lift...

Comment

Originally posted by gfezz View Post
                Learn the art of using a plumb bob, then put it away next to the old star bits.

Get a self leveling laser to become a quick an accurate professional...

The best time saving invention since the boom lift...
                Unless your working off a boom lift.
                You better have a plumb-bob to work off snap lines.I don't want to pay a guy to up and down all day moving his laser.
                I do like having both.

Just figured it out.Let err rip gfezz.
                Plumb-bob is now for ground work only
                Last edited by drtyhands; 10-22-2007, 11:21 PM. Reason: I blew it

Comment

ita a great way to make sure the jambs on prehung doors are plumb. just hang it from head jamb and adjust vertical jambs untill all distances to jambs are equal. saw norm and tom sikva do this on TOH. it works very well.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                    ita a great way to make sure the jambs on prehung doors are plumb. just hang it from head jamb and adjust vertical jambs untill all distances to jambs are equal. saw norm and tom sikva do this on TOH. it works very well.
                    That's what I'm saying.It always makes me laugh when a plumber tries and come up with references how his plumb-bob has it's origin based on the plumbing industry.

Comment

Learn to use a builder's square, a folding rule will come to you. You can layout any plumbing angle with a square. Educate yourselves.
                      the dog

Comment

you can also chuck it at your apprentices's head when he pisses you off Seriously though, use one all the time for lining up the vertical stack penetation through the roof. Also need to attach it to the tansit so the transit gets set over the bench mark. Don't use a transit? If you're doing any under slab at all a medium priced transit or builders level and a quick read of the manual will save all kinds of time. Hate most of the cheaper lazer levels, the beam gets lost in bright sunlight
                        sigpic

Comment

Welcome to the forum NHMaster.

Comment

Working...
                          X