X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCST associated fires

Comments please on recent news reports about lightning-associated fires due to CCST rupture and subsequent gas leaks.
    Are there fixes to prevent this risk? I know there have been lawsuits and a class action recently filed about this.
    I just bought a new construction house w/ dual zone furnaces (one in the attic has the CCST running from the basement)

Re: CCST associated fires

Ground em

Comment

Search on www.electrical-contractors.net.
      The lightening strikes have caused rare major problems.The N.E.C.,I don't think,covers csst grounding.The mfctr does require it.So I imagine it is beeing looked at closely in the code inforcement circles where lightning occurs frequently.
      Looks like the manufactuerer wants the ground taken off at a black iron pipe location of the system and not the tubing itself,they are saying some talk of perhaps taking a ground off a connector.

I heard talk of a lightning rod on top of the house helping.this is www talk nothing in So. Calif. heard from my ears.
      Last edited by drtyhands; 10-16-2007, 11:57 PM.

Comment

i also saw the abc news episode yesterday am too. according to the manufacturer, they said the line needs proper grounding. apparently the csst/ (corrugated stainless steel tubing) being thin can't handle the voltage spike from a close lightning strike. it has on a few incidents shorted, then blew a small hole in it causing a leak or explosion.

as Adam mentioned, we don't get much lightning here, so i'm not aware of the current requirement or fix they require.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

This stuff is becoming real common in new construction in my area. Between the water lines and gas lines in the basements, looks like someone threw a bowl of spaghetti.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            This stuff is becoming real common in new construction in my area. Between the water lines and gas lines in the basements, looks like someone threw a bowl of spaghetti.
            I would imagine that's what the plumbers were saying when they saw soft copper looped all around and through the framing back in the late sixties
            The house I grew up in had soft in the walls,sounded like my parents should have called a priest.

Comment

Working...
            X