Pressure testing residential gas systems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pressure testing residential gas systems

Bottom line: Here in the Great State of California we are required by the building department (by way of the UPC) to test our rough gas piping, and final gas piping at 10 psi. Us old timers traditionally test at 15 psi because that is the way we were taught. When the gas supplier comes out and connects they test at line pressure which in residential would be .50 psi or less.

Thats the way its done in the great west, you eastcoasters should shut-up and learn.

To save the reams of hate mail, I'm joking on that last line.
    the dog

Comment

You guys on the East coast need to understand we have been using 10 psig to test our gas for 61-years already (1946 UPC Section 1504). It seems to have worked for us so far so we may just keep using it.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Its 15 psi for us down here and must be on for a minimum of 24 hours before inspection.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          ben, we are referring to testing a new installation. typically the gauges sit on the line for days waiting for the inspector to show.

your digital is great for testing the regulator, but not practical for a ruff inspection test.

rick.
          Got it. We get inspected every day on Navy projects so it's a little different for me.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'm it the office now so on the east coast here's the deal.

National Fuel Gas Code:

8.4.1 Test pressure shall be measured with a a manometer or a pressure measuring device designed and calibrated to read, record or indicate pressure loss due to leakage during the test preiod. Tfhe source of pressure shall be isolated before pressure tests are made. Mechanical gauges used to measure the test pressures shall have a range such that the higest end of the scale is not greater than 5 times the test pressure.

8.1.4.2 The test pressure to be used shall not be less that 1 1/2 times the proposed maximum working pressure, but not less than 3 psi. irrespective of design pressure. Where the test pressure exceeds 125lbs. the test pressure shall not exceed the value that produces a hoop stress in the piping greater thatn 50% of the specified minimum yeald strenght of the pipe
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post

National Fuel Gas Code:

8.4.1 Test pressure shall be measured with a a manometer or a pressure measuring device designed and calibrated to read, record or indicate pressure loss due to leakage during the test preiod. Tfhe source of pressure shall be isolated before pressure tests are made. Mechanical gauges used to measure the test pressures shall have a range such that the higest end of the scale is not greater than 5 times the test pressure.

8.1.4.2 The test pressure to be used shall not be less that 1 1/2 times the proposed maximum working pressure, but not less than 3 psi. irrespective of design pressure. Where the test pressure exceeds 125lbs. the test pressure shall not exceed the value that produces a hoop stress in the piping greater thatn 50% of the specified minimum yeald strenght of the pipe

You are correct in what the fuel gas code says, but when job specifications call for something more, that is what must be done. Most of the engineers in our area call for a 15 psi test so that is just what we do on all projects.

Also worth noting to students is the fact that most cities have their own rules to go above and beyone the IBC.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post

National Fuel Gas Code:

8.4.1 Mechanical gauges used to measure the test pressures shall have a range such that the higest end of the scale is not greater than 5 times the test pressure.

8.1.4.2 The test pressure to be used shall not be less that 1 1/2 times the proposed maximum working pressure, but not less than 3 psi.
                we too have to use a gauge with a max scale of 15#. this is so it will show a drop as the segments are easier to read than the traditional 30# gauge we use to use.

so if you code allows for a min. of 3# and a gauge of not greater than 5x the test pressure. then you can use a 15# gauge just like us

the gauge being the same, why not put some pressure in it. our test is a minimum of 10# and i would fill a little higher. if the inspector wanted to, they would lower them all to 10# and check them. we did go through temperature changes here too.

remember when i did gas test, it wasn't 1 test. it was typically 20-60 at a time. the gauges would typically sit from ruff inspection to final inspection.

i was thrilled when the ball valve style gas valves came out. these would allow me to test against them and still have the appliances connected.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

The local mech inspectors might let us get away with testing at higher pressures, but the utility company won't accept the test at anything higher that 5lbs. And since they have to sign off on it before they set the meter, they call the shots. I have no problem with higher test pressures, hell wrap it up to 100lbs if you can.
                  sigpic

Comment

When I was in my apprenticeship I was told not to over pressurize my gas systems.It can cause leaks.20lbs has always been good to me for a newly installed system.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      When I was in my apprenticeship I was told not to over pressurize my gas systems.It can cause leaks.20lbs has always been good to me for a newly installed system.
                      Over pressuring a system by how much? A standard system using sch. 40 pipe and standard 150# fittings should easily handle a 150# air system. Now if the joints aren't threaded correctly etc. It might not hold that pressure, so there is the danger of leaks on that kind of pressure, but 10-20psi over the 10psi required is nothing.
                      the dog

Comment

Why would overpressurrizing cause leaks? If the gas line is gal or black iron, the same material which used to be subject to 40-60 psi when used on water lines, why would 20 or 30lbs make a difference?
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Why would overpressurrizing cause leaks? If the gas line is gal or black iron, the same material which used to be subject to 40-60 psi when used on water lines, why would 20 or 30lbs make a difference?

It wont make a difference, if you performed a proper install.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                            To save the reams of hate mail, I'm joking on that last line.

See, ya ruined it.
                            It's funny till ya have to explain it...now go get a low pressure guage and start doing it right.

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post
                              It wont make a difference, if you performed a proper install.
                              Sorry all you guys,I install the system to consistently hold 20-25 lbs of air.

Ben,water does not leak as bad as air.

The system is designed for a half a pound of pressure.I'm not going to waste my money changing out material that won't hold the manufacturers 300lb rating.That is where we are heading with the pressure issue isn't it
                              Last edited by drtyhands; 12-18-2007, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Guess if it holds it's good, yes. I tell my students if the water leaks you've got a mess to clean up. If the waste leaks you've got a stinkey mess to clean up. If the gas leaks you've got dead people to clean up. Just for grins google Amelia's law and have a read. See the F@#$%ing mess that leak caused.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X