X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure testing residential gas systems

I've bein getting quite a few residential calls lately to pressure test the gas lines for buyers.Average appliances [4],and I am bidding them around $325.00.This is 4 hours total ,which includes dis-connecting the appliances and capping,bumping up the line to 15psi,$21.00 inspection,and come back and re-connect appliances,and fire everything up,and leak testing.I'm noy getting a lot of call backs on this.I don"t think I'm really out of the ball-park here.What"s your opinions if any?

Re: Pressure testing residential gas systems

I don't know what the plumbing market is in your area.

$325 for 4 hours labor and 2 trips that would be a bargain here.

I would think that it could be done in less time though unless part of that time is waiting for an inspector to show up.

Comment

That's just covering my butt like flat rate.I tell them it could go quicker and therefore would be less. The price is low because my business is just starting in this city.Southern people are leary of yankees but they soften when money is involved.

Comment

why all of a sudden a lot of calls to pressure test the gas lines?

i only get this when there is a leak and the gas co. shuts them off.

just curious.

325 is right where i would be for 4 hours

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Hey,You're on to something here! Do the whole hood ,each call. Kinda like painting address #s on curbs. Come back next night to see Who puts the envelope out!
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I'm not sure why the rash of gas calls,and maybe this question is geared more for the flat-raters.I"m just trying to incorporate some flat-rate into the business .This is pretty much a cut and dry type call with few possibilities for surprises,I wanted to put out a fair number for this type of job.What would a flat-rater charge for testing the system,kerep in mind 2 trips because you'll never get an inspector over the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by apf View Post
              I'm not sure why the rash of gas calls.
              There's probably a new guy in town! Or maybe the old guy learned some new stuff. Or maybe the gas company is performing some updates on meters or regulators.

Last year, I had a rash of gas leak calls where the gas company shut-down the systems on homes in a couple of neighborhoods next to each other -- each being about forty to fifty years old with the gas meters inside of the houses. The gas company leaves tags with the technicians signature on it, describing the problem, and I noticed that every tag had the same signature.

What I found-out was, the gas company was replacing their line regulators if they weren't the current standard, and they were either changing meters or retrofitting them with transmitters for remote reading. While this one particular technician was in the houses, he would check for leaks on exposed pipe with his new leak detector and he would check for "proper draft" at the water heater with a lit match. He found several decades-old leaks and burned a lot of matches to determine (mostly inaccurately) improper draft. He would then tag the system and shut it down. Then my neighbors would call me.

Many of my customers had no problems whatsoever, but had to pay me to write this on a ticket to get their gas turned back on. However, many ended-up with me breaking-down their entire system and putting it back together.

Bruce

Comment

These have actually bein scattered through-out 4 or 5 cities,but I agree it could certainly be even an ambitious gas tech.Still trying to get a idea of folks averages for a pressure test with the scenario I was providing.Thanks to those who replied.

Comment

I just ran an add in my local newspaper under an alias,trying to scare the people into thinking their house could explode if they don't get the gas checked.

Next week I'll mail out flyers for inspection services

I'm also currently offering a 20% discount on sasquatch repellent to all first time customers.
                  Last edited by drtyhands; 10-19-2007, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    I just ran an add in my local newspaper under an alias,trying to scare the people into thinking their house could explode if they don't get the gas checked.

Next week I'll mail out flyers for inspection services

I'm also currently offering a 20% discount on sasquatch repellent to all first time customers.
                    Right now I dont have a need for "SASQUATCH" repellent as I live in the deep south.

Come to think of it, I dont know that I would want it as us "rednecks" like to have darn near anything mounted to hang on the wall. I think a sasquatch would give me a "1 up" on all my friends at deer and duck camps.

As a result, once a redneck thinks it through (if thats even possible), I dont think you will have much of a market for your product here.

Regards,

Comment

Did you really run an ad like that.

Comment

Originally posted by apf View Post
                        Did you really run an ad like that.
                        NO.....I have seen worse though

(GOT MOLD?)

Your price looks good thogh APF

Comment

Does anyone test with nitrogen like on water lines in new commercial?

You can hear the leaks at a very low low pressure. Shrieking noise that you can hear over all the background noise.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                            Does anyone test with nitrogen like on water lines in new commercial?

You can hear the leaks at a very low low pressure. Shrieking noise that you can hear over all the background noise.

Nitrogen is an excellent way to find leaks, it will whistle for the smallest leak.

As far as 325.00 for 4 hrs......I charge 350.00 for 2 hrs, includes capping the gas fixtures, looking for the leak. Leaks are usually found in the first hr.

I bid the job to make the repair, if the line dosen't hold, and apply these charges toward the overall repair.

Lets do some math here 325.00 for 4 hrs breaks down to 81.25 hr does this include materials?? equipment charges too?? drive time??

I am sure for your market, it is a good wage, but for out here, after overhead and taxes, etc, equipment charges, maint, that breaks out to around $45.00 hr.

A prime example of why the plumbing trade in los angeles is taking a dive, and not many new tradespersons are able to feed their families off what people are willing to pay for services.

Just my opinion.............
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Good idea on the nitro Dunbar,thanks dirty,Robert I gotta start somewhere!I think I'm doing well moving to a city I"ve never worked in and opening shop.The prices will increase as the cust. base does.You boys keep forgetting this is not a major market and not growing up/working this area is a considerable challenge.Move to a small city,less than a million ,and ask for the large flow and see how far the average person gets....bankrupt.I grew up poor as hell ,I don't give my work away,but I look out for the common person.I have a clear conscience.

Comment

Working...
                              X