X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No wax ring; just caulk the toilet

Me and the wife were sitting eating lunch at the house when we heard a water being poured into the bathroom. Shocked to see my bathroom ceiling had caved in and water was pouring out. I call maintance and they open the upstairs apt and when we pulled the toilet, there was no sign of a wax ring. Clean flange, underside was clean from wax too. They set and caulked the toilet and that's it. It worked like this for a long time. It looked like the toilet had shifted and that's why it finally leaked.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: No wax ring; just caulk the toilet

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Me and the wife were sitting eating lunch at the house when we heard a water being poured into the bathroom. Shocked to see my bathroom ceiling had caved in and water was pouring out. I call maintance and they open the upstairs apt and when we pulled the toilet, there was no sign of a wax ring. Clean flange, underside was clean from wax too. They set and caulked the toilet and that's it. It worked like this for a long time. It looked like the toilet had shifted and that's why it finally leaked.
    I wonder if it was because they finally had a stoppage.

Comment

The water was leaking past the flapper and causing the toilet to continuiosly run.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Oh Man ,Those UNION plumbers have been here again !
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

OOPS , Almost forgot , what are wax rings?????
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            OOPS , Almost forgot , what are wax rings?????

your kidding right? please for the love of god tell me you are kidding, i mean come on now even my 16 year old knows what a wax ring is.
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              The water was leaking past the flapper and causing the toilet to continuiosly run.
              ben, can't say that i've come across a missing wax ring, but many, many wax rings that leaked due to not being thick enough.

believe it or not a running/ dripping toilet has a good chance of leaking as the water and toilet create cohesion and the water will cling to the china causing it to get past the open flange. whereas a toilet flushing will typically spill into the flange just a pitcher of water being poured into a glass.

hope i've got the proper terms.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Could this be a prime example of caulking a toilet, can create a bigger mess. I know its code, but if you cannot get some kind of warning before its too late, the person below the toilet could be eating wallboard for dinner. Also a running toilet should be creating a lot of condensation dripping on the floor as well. Apparently they chose to ignore this, or it was never leaking. Now there will be a sh!t load of mold in the sub floor and ceiling.
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Garager,

I agree with you 100% on all statements.

Regards,

Comment

Chevy,You are slow, I'm old. That was a YOKE ,as Hans says

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      Chevy,You are slow, I'm old. That was a YOKE ,as Hans says
                      hey i was hoping that was "yoke" but you know as well as i do people never cease to amaze me with there complete lack of knowelge in the trades that they work in
                      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I'd appreciate some professional advice, as a homeowner I've changed maybe seven or eight wax rings and now they have the ones with the plastic sleeve which makes even more sense. A couple of years ago I watched a plumber trace the base of the toilet bowl onto the floor and before he put the toilet in place he poured a real small line of plaster of paris on the line. Then he seated the bowl and put a level on the seat area, as he pushed down and got it level he finished by cleaning a smoothline of the plaster along the base of the bowl. Is this a good idea to keep the bowl from rocking and to give it a finished look, or could it mask a leak and cause more problems? Thanks.

Comment

OOO that's where your supposed to put those 'sticky rings'?!

****!

Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            I'd appreciate some professional advice, as a homeowner I've changed maybe seven or eight wax rings and now they have the ones with the plastic sleeve which makes even more sense. A couple of years ago I watched a plumber trace the base of the toilet bowl onto the floor and before he put the toilet in place he poured a real small line of plaster of paris on the line. Then he seated the bowl and put a level on the seat area, as he pushed down and got it level he finished by cleaning a smoothline of the plaster along the base of the bowl. Is this a good idea to keep the bowl from rocking and to give it a finished look, or could it mask a leak and cause more problems? Thanks.
                            actually, caulking/ dap is used for this purpose and is an approved method. the plaster of paris is not only more work, but not an approved water tight seal. that's why grout is not an approved material, but is used very commonly. the seal has to be water tight and also flexible to keep from cracking.

the caulking is there for sanitary reasons to not allow dirt/ liquids under the toilet where it can't be cleaned up. it also does help in securing the toilet from rocking as you tool/ push the caulk into the joint.

typically you test flush the toilet a few times to check for leaks prior to caulking. the caulking was not intended to prevent leaks or mask leaks from the toilet or ring.

rick.

ps. caulking is required on all fixtures that come into contact with other surfaces.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Thank you, caulking it will be!

Comment

Working...
                              X