Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pull a Permit or not Pull a Permit that is the ????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pull a Permit or not Pull a Permit that is the ????

Thank You , Everyone. I told the guy no. I appreciate the feedback . I didn't like the sound of it from the begining.

I'm Praying for rain for the folks in Cali.

Finster

Comment

Originally posted by Finster View Post
      Thank You , Everyone. I told the guy no. I appreciate the feedback . I didn't like the sound of it from the begining.

I'm Praying for rain for the folks in Cali.

Finster

Thanks, we need it Finster, less the lightening.

Good luck and hang in there, things will be great!!!

You made the right decision.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

finster,

Over the years I have known more than one contractor who lost more than just their license for doing exactly what you were considering. You worked hard for your license and now you need to protect it at all cost.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i just turned down a very large job due to the fact the building didn't want to have a permit pulled on the project.

it was a combination waste and vent system for a country club bar area. 6 floor sinks and 4 floor drains. this was not a repair to the exisiting system, but a complete reroute of the system.

they said they would get a plumber that used to work there to do it. if it's like any of the old stuff i've come across there, it will be a mess done wrong.

now i don't have to loose sleep over the fact of boot legging in a job that requires prior approval by the plumbing inspector to install a combination system.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I went to a remodel today, they have demo'ed out the kitchen, living room, dinner area, no permits, want to run an island vent, tankless, replace the complete gas system, add hot pot filler over stove, move drain, vent for k/s area.

The house is 2 blocks from the beach, 3 bathroom, the guy doesn't want permits pulled.

I can hear it now......Judge: Did you pull permits?
            Plumber: No, customer didn't want them pulled
            Judge: You are the professional, you
            know better then that.
            Judge: Guilty stupid ***!
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

You got that right, If you are the professional and responsible for the permits, it has to be done.

I am not sure how different jurisdictions look at this, but just yesterday I had a situation arise.

I do a lot of design build work for many smaller builders (commercial). The contract states that they are responsible for permits etc...

Needless to say, on this one job in Madison, MS (where a damn McDonalds must look like a small Palace etc..) only had a gas water heater to hook up. I did the job as a favor at no cost about a month ago( I do over 4 million a year with this one builder so job like this at no cost will be made up later).

Anyway, he calls me yesterday and tells me to get the certificate of occupancy that we need to get a permit. Problem is that the owner took posession of the building last week.

I laughed and told him good luck, but he knows that we have a "IN" with the cities around here and they hired a new inspector who is giving him trouble.

The problem lies in the fact that he did not want to pay the permit fee for such a small item and be inconvienced. I will let him sweat it out for a few days but I have already taken care of the problem for him.

Sorry to ramble on, but I guess what I am saying is always pull the permits, its part of the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Finster View Post
                I have just recently started a State Certified plumbing company in Florida . I was recently approached to pull a permit for a guy to install sub water meters for a MHP. Unfortunately, he will have his guy do the work . All I have to do is pull the permit. It has been a little slow start and the start up cost is killing my pocket book, and a Baby on the way doesn't help matters any. I like doing things the right way and by the book . But ,I dont want this to bite me on my a@@ later on.

What could happen if I take this guys offer?
                Should I do it?
                What would you guys do and have you had this happen to you??

Thanks
                Finster
                Sounds to me like someone else will enjoy all the profit while you get to "enjoy" all the liability. If the work is done incorrectly guess who gets to fix it free of charge?

Comment

Working...
                X