Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pull a Permit or not Pull a Permit that is the ????

I have just recently started a State Certified plumbing company in Florida . I was recently approached to pull a permit for a guy to install sub water meters for a MHP. Unfortunately, he will have his guy do the work . All I have to do is pull the permit. It has been a little slow start and the start up cost is killing my pocket book, and a Baby on the way doesn't help matters any. I like doing things the right way and by the book . But ,I dont want this to bite me on my a@@ later on.

What could happen if I take this guys offer?
    Should I do it?
    What would you guys do and have you had this happen to you??

Thanks
    Finster

Re: Pull a Permit or not Pull a Permit that is the ????

i am all about helping some one but some one you have never met,...hummmmmm. if this guy has a problem will he call you and pay you for your help or just say it is your fault? also in florida when i was looking into getting my lic. there were 6 guys waiting to pay fines for doing just what you are saying. i would not do it. i would how ever try to work out something so you can get the work and get your name out there, you might eat alittle profit now but it should pay off later. one last thing i wish you the best of luck becuase in my area of florida there is only 2 houses and a court building going on, and nothing else, but that is just in my town
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

sounds like the guy needs to get his own license and not yours.

as osc said, he is a complete stranger. don't do it. instead give him a price to do it for him with your license.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

What's the problem,Let him use your license # to pull permits.That way he can use it on future jobs if he thinks he needs to.Let him do a substandard instalation that the community can see you name on if they check the books.He does not finish the job so your bond will be applied then the bonding company will dump you and mark your record.The structure owner will sue you,and report you to the state license board for a complaint,they will suspend your license for illegal activity.Then a 1" solder joint blows out 2 years later and you get to get sued again.Meanwhile he's gotten the money he wants,bye-bye.

You always were good at the crap tables,go for it.Put everything you own on RED.

p.s. It's not totally like your gambling.He's going to give you $300.00
        Last edited by drtyhands; 10-22-2007, 12:26 PM.

Comment

AGREE WITH Rick,I'd knock off a liquor first!!!
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

plus, if the inspector finds out or sees crappy work he will have a permanent hard-on for you. tons of fun for everyone.......NOT.

Comment

Originally posted by BILLG View Post
              plus, if the inspector finds out or sees crappy work he will have a permanent hard-on for you. tons of fun for everyone.......NOT.
              That's what I mean when he goes back to the office and sees that it's your name and number on the permit.....FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                That's what I mean when he goes back to the office and sees that it's your name and number on the permit.....FOREVER
                it can't be over emphasized, plus i just like adding a little color

Comment

Yeah, what everyone else has said. This is just asking for trouble that you dont ever-ever need , especially just starting out.

Later,

Comment

Id advise aginst it....for the same reasons people said above....like a HVAC guy doing side work wearing a company uniform....he porks up the job...guess who they blame?? yep the company not the goofball....seen Big boss get a few calls from pissed off "customers"....dude got fired but company ended up spending $$ to make it right.

Same with this situation....IF all goes well...no problem..no one knows.....but IF this guy cant get his own lic why???? Does he realy know how to do it "to code"...just seems to me IF he does anything wrong....lawyers, and code enforecment is goign to see YUOR lic # and come after u....not that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Finster View Post
                      I have just recently started a State Certified plumbing company in Florida . I was recently approached to pull a permit for a guy to install sub water meters for a MHP. Unfortunately, he will have his guy do the work . All I have to do is pull the permit. It has been a little slow start and the start up cost is killing my pocket book, and a Baby on the way doesn't help matters any. I like doing things the right way and by the book . But ,I dont want this to bite me on my a@@ later on.

What could happen if I take this guys offer?
                      Should I do it?
                      What would you guys do and have you had this happen to you??

Thanks
                      Finster

I have many people come and ask me to pull permits for them, I always say NO!

The permit will be pulled under your license, so any problems, it's your fault

Long term, we are liable for 10 years here in california, with you not doing the work, how do you know it is good for 10 years, do you trust his guy's? If something happens, your name is on it.

Thats just one thing to think about, there are many others.

I know things may be slow right now, but in the future, say in 5 years, your company is strong and you are set up financially, this job comes back to bite you in the butt with a lawsuit, you will lose everything.

That permit links you and your company to this job.

Remember, not all money is good money

Good luck and hang in there
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

So what you guys are saying is that even though I work for Home Depot you wouldn't pull permits as a favor to me. I mean c'mon I've learned so much there I could practically open up my own shop. You should trust my work, I've soldered over 5 whole joints in my life. That one leak was just a fluke.

Comment

Originally posted by cellardoor View Post
                          So what you guys are saying is that even though I work for Home Depot you wouldn't pull permits as a favor to me. I mean c'mon I've learned so much there I could practically open up my own shop. You should trust my work, I've soldered over 5 whole joints in my life. That one leak was just a fluke.

HAHAHAHAHA, thats exactly what we are saying
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

in some states the home owner can pull there own permits though i never checked with florida,
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                              in some states the home owner can pull there own permits though i never checked with florida,
                              Many states allow that, but think about it. The permit is pulled by the homeowner for work being performed on the homeowners property. When things go wrong, the homeowner cant file suit against himself.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                              X