Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flush broke CI, 4' concrete, Historic

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Flush broke CI, 4' concrete, Historic

    Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    Macguyvering is not my specialty

    I would like to see you make your customer happy and still put something in that's going to work properly and at the same time last more than a year or two.
    I'm a Seabee so Maguyvering is my specialty (I once made a honda mud pump work with bamboo, saran wrap and tie wire in PI) but even I say this is a job to be done right or not at all. I think Dog's advice was the best.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Flush broke CI, 4' concrete, Historic

      u guys that say do it right technically are right
      but,
      doing it right would completely shut down men's bathroom which would mean cancelling soon huge concerts - no bathroom - no shows
      jackhammering the 4' floor due to its degraded state could cause the building to be condemned, which could also shut down the connected Paramount Theater & soon upcoming huge shows
      so instead of fixing the leak for a couple hundred - let's do it right & possibly cost millions in repairs, replacements, engineers, cancelled concerts & shows & even possibly damaging one of the biggest Historic buildings on the Jersey Shore to the extent it will be deemed inhabitable
      guess thats why my dad's been in business over 50 yrs. & has decided on the couple hundred temporary fix
      Last edited by ericwagner4; 10-23-2007, 07:37 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Flush broke CI, 4' concrete, Historic

        Well,
        Sooner or later it's going to have to be done right.I hope you get the opportunity to submit a bid.

        So do I have the wrong picture in my mind.The three inch cast was broken off at the underside of the concrete.Why could you not chip it out?

        Just curious.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Flush broke CI, 4' concrete, Historic

          yea
          sooner or later it will have 2 be fixed right - as w/ a lot of other stuff in this building
          the CI is broke off underneath bottom of floor
          bottom of floor is exposed beach area & in bad shape
          8 floor drain urinals all tie in to this (all tied in in the 4' thick concrete floor)
          in order to open enough concrete to do a proper repair could be a nightmare
          not to mention, where the pipe is broke its about 2' above sand
          not too much head room
          the CI is in such bad shape, it probably all has to be replaced

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Flush broke CI, 4' concrete, Historic

            Well when you do it will be nice working in the sand,it's a breeze to move around.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Flush broke CI, 4' concrete, Historic

              Eric, can you post some pictures? I can't figure out what it the problem looks like. Could you do pipe relining until the winter when you can permantley fix the problem.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Flush broke CI, 4' concrete, Historic

                Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                Well when you do it will be nice working in the sand,it's a breeze to move around.
                actually
                if those 8 urinals werent draining peoples beer urine from concerts on the sand 4 god knows how long - it would be ok if u like chipping concrete lying on your back in the sand w/ 2' head room for hours on end
                not too sure about pipe relining?
                does it work if pipe is broke off flush w/ concrete ceiling?
                oh & there are concerts/plays/shows all year long in this building

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Flush broke CI, 4' concrete, Historic

                  Eric, check your PM.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Flush broke CI, 4' concrete, Historic

                    LEASE PORTABLE TOILETS, DO IT ONCE ,DO IT RIGHT! Beware of customers that want shortcuts . No matter what They say up front , You'll be the fall guy!
                    Are They thinking crumbling concrete and rusted out cast iron has some historical value?
                    Get real! This isn't the roman ruins .
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Flush broke CI, 4' concrete, Historic

                      Originally posted by ericwagner4 View Post
                      actually
                      if those 8 urinals werent draining peoples beer urine from concerts on the sand 4 god knows how long - it would be ok if u like chipping concrete lying on your back in the sand w/ 2' head room for hours on end
                      not too sure about pipe relining?
                      does it work if pipe is broke off flush w/ concrete ceiling?
                      oh & there are concerts/plays/shows all year long in this building
                      That's why you make the BIG BUCKS son

                      Just teasing.......I'll let it go

                      Keep posting,I like hearing about your interesting jobs.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Flush broke CI, 4' concrete, Historic

                        As a Temporary fix:
                        1. Drill a series of 1/2" holes around the pipe approx. 1" apart and minimum 2" deep. This is a must.
                        2. Make sure the drill bit is at least 1/4" away from the pipe.
                        3. Use a 5" grinder with a diamond blade to connect the outer edges of the holes.
                        4. Hand chisel the cement away from the pipe.
                        5. Drill and demo a larger area to accomodate screws from a worm gear clamp for a 3" husky no hub coupling and a 1/4" drive ratchet w/ a 5/16" short socket.
                        6. Or demo a larger area to to accomodate a 3" C.I. Bell with a Ty Seal Gasket.
                        Or get a Target Saw with a diamond blade, turn it upside down, make a series of cuts, and hand chisel it out.

                        Instead of hand chiseling, I probably would use a small chipping gun that uses SDS Plus bits. The blow from a SDS Plus gun is so soft that it wouldn't jar anything loose, especially on a four foot thick floor.
                        This is after perforating the cement with a blade first though.

                        Make sure you drill a series of holes first. This will be your relief area while you are chipping away. If you don't have these, the impact energy will be directed straight to the pipe and may damage it in the process.
                        sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Flush broke CI, 4' concrete, Historic

                          Very nice Yasuda.
                          Welcome to the forum

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Flush broke CI, 4' concrete, Historic

                            Yasuda, nice post.

                            I would recommend the same, or to core drill, then slide in a new section. I wish we had better pictures then just one of the beach.

                            On a different note, same subject, the deterioration of the cast iron is due to the salt water, so don't forget to add painting the pipe in your bid
                            sigpic

                            Robert

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Flush broke CI, 4' concrete, Historic

                              sry guys - didnt have my camera when i looked at job
                              picture on post was taken from internet
                              if anyone knows how to turn a scanned sketch file into a picture file, i could make a rough drawing, scan it, transfer into My Pictures & post that
                              at least then you would see what im up against
                              but, like i stated in previous posts:
                              there is about 2' height between sand & underside of this 4' concrete floor
                              (i guess i could spend a day digging it out to do repairs suggested)
                              but, inside of CI is so deteriorated it looks as if all sewer pipe/fittings to all 8 urinals would need to be changed to do a proper "done right " repair
                              all pipe fittings are buried in this 4' concrete floor below 8 floor outlet urinals
                              maybe a relining co. could do something w/out tearing out/apart building?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Flush broke CI, 4' concrete, Historic

                                Originally posted by ericwagner4 View Post
                                sry guys - didnt have my camera when i looked at job
                                picture on post was taken from internet
                                if anyone knows how to turn a scanned sketch file into a picture file, i could make a rough drawing, scan it, transfer into My Pictures & post that
                                at least then you would see what im up against
                                but, like i stated in previous posts:
                                there is about 2' height between sand & underside of this 4' concrete floor
                                (i guess i could spend a day digging it out to do repairs suggested)
                                but, inside of CI is so deteriorated it looks as if all sewer pipe/fittings to all 8 urinals would need to be changed to do a proper "done right " repair
                                all pipe fittings are buried in this 4' concrete floor below 8 floor outlet urinals
                                maybe a relining co. could do something w/out tearing out/apart building?

                                Why would anyone place a main and a trunk line picking up 8 urinals in the concrete, especially 4' thick?

                                Have you considered a a re-route? maybe on the exterior, hidden? Liner companies are great, the only problem is you need to cut out the tie ins, and if the tie in's are imbedded in concrete, then you are in the same bucket.

                                I would say re-route looks really good right now, a complete re-drain.

                                Lines imbedded in concrete need to stay imbedded
                                sigpic

                                Robert

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X