Advantages of a folding wooden ruler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantages of a folding wooden ruler

Someone mentioned these once before and other than doing masonary, I've never had a need for one. Am I missing something or are these tools of a by gone era? If you like them, please post how you use them for those of us not in the know.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Advantages of a folding wooden ruler

The old timer I started with as a helper made me use a 6' wooden ruler.

He kept hiding my tape measures from me.

The numbers always wore off before I broke it.

I would use it to hold my copper pipe level when I soldered.

Comment

Lets see, The advantages of a wooden folding rule.....
      1. Its wood
      2. It folds
      3. No one seems to want to steal/borrow it
      On a more serious note, I actually use one a lot (that has the brass extension in it) ITs good for getting inside measurements in tight spaces where you really cant see that well.

Other than that, I dont really know why I use them.

Comment

When I first started in commercial apprenticeship, I wasn't allowed to use anything but a folding rule. I do believe I've managed to forget just about everything I learned regarding them. But if you were to look in the old Pipe Fitter's and Pipe Welder's manual, you'll see that you can use the 6' folding rule to lay out various angles. e.g.:
        For a 45 degree angle, bend the rule at the first and second joints, setting the end on the marking for the angle, namely, 22-31/32 given in the table. The desired angle will be formed as shown in fig. 20.

I remember testing the rule by grasping the two ends while folded and pulling them around and together - if the rule broke, it was just no damned good.

I was told that you cannot mark a distance accurately with a tape measure. Hmmph.

Comment

if u duct tape 2 of them end to end, u can tighten up a greenfield hanger screw 12' away

Comment

Back in 1962 Thats' all we had. The best was the 8' lufkin. We used grafite on the swivels
            We would stand togeather and race opening them. I was fast. Poor Richie O Brian broke a brand new one and near cried. We had kids and little money. Somehow We got buy.
            Thanks' for the memory.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

See my post on plumb-bobs.
              the dog

Comment

READ It Dog , I agree.
                As a young carpenter [45 yrs ago] I learned the square. I was a builder back East.
                I can lay out , on the ground, all My commons valley jacks,hip jacks.And they'll all fit.
                Also as a welder [ cert,stick, and wire] I can fit pipe,Thats' what I did,Local 34 Oakland Ca.
                Who knows the hines 57 layout trick? I'll wait. If no one answers I explain something beautiful.
                Ask any pipe fitter , Tool
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Wow never thought I'd get soo much feed back from My B.S. HE HE

Hines 57 neat trick from a fitter. Draw a 57" Dia circle with soap stone on pavement.

Each inch on the circumference is 1 degree. I did the radius [28 1/2 " on plywood ] .I was welding a total of 450ft of 3 ft. I beams with steel stifiner plates at various angles .
                  Jig helped a lot. Hope it helps the next Guy

Comment

and i thought it had something to do with my 3 steaks and fries i've got coming

interesting trick. now if i can figure out how to draw a 57'' circle

maybe a yardstick with 2 holes placed 28.5'' apart. 1 with a nail and 1 with a china marker/ sharpie

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick. on asphalt, drive in a teco or ram set pin. Hool the end of tape on the head.
                      Been seen out at cosco parking lot doing largre radiuses. They were ready to call cops on crazy old ball Man. I have no shame!

Comment

Working...
                      X