Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating a 2" waste line

Aloha from Hawaii guys,

I'm a newbie to this site so go easy on me.

My problem:

A good friend calls me because of a clogged shower drain. I say "no biggie, should take about 20 minutes".

I head over there with my ole' K-38 with a 3/8 cable and several bulb heads. After 2 tries, I couldn't get into the main 3" line. After running about 4 feet of cable it stops....I ended up pulling out mud both times. Worst case scenario, broken pipe.

This house is on a slab. Originally there was a typical 5'x30" tub which was renovated 2 years ago. Now the new shower drain is centered with a new PVC trap and arm. Just from the feel of it, I'm assuming the new plastic pipe is approx. 3 feet long to where it connects to the existing no hub C.I. pipe.

Does any one make a camera that will negotiate a 2" PVC P-trap?

I would like to locate the pipe to determine whether or not the shower needs to be torn out.

I guess I could cut the plumbing wall open where the shower valves are located to see if the shower vent pipe is there. But if it isn't.....I'm just trying to see what other options are out there.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Locating a 2" waste line

Mini seenake. From a local boy who grew up in Wahiawa.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ridgid Micro sea snake with 2 extensions. Scroll down and read the storys. Also good deals on them. My 87 year old grandmother is walking again!
      Seriously great tool and cheap around $250
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Yasuda, First of all Welcome to the forum. I would recommend the see snake mini as well. It should handle 2" fine.

as far as the micro... have any of you guys negotiated a 2" trap with the micro yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
          Yasuda, First of all Welcome to the forum. I would recommend the see snake mini as well. It should handle 2" fine.

as far as the micro... have any of you guys negotiated a 2" trap with the micro yet?
          the mini is the answer. josh do you remember the setups you had at the older trade shows? this was a mock up of 2'' traps and 1/4 bends/ waste 90's.

it worked there, and it should work in his situation. on a no hub trap/ cast iron, it will not work or not as easy.

as far as the micro goes, don't do it it is not flexible enough to negotiate the tight radius of a trap. it also doesn't have the spring leader.

remember the last ring i pulled out of the shower? it barley made it past the vertical tail piece and that was with pre bending the lead.

if you try, you will break it

rick.

the mini seesnake is the answer. but at only 4 ' in you will be digging. did you try the roof vent to see if you could bypass the trap?
          phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for saving my new MINI from certain death.I was going to try it on a 2" trap this morning to see what would happen.

I did find a coolant leak with it a few weeks ago.Could not have found it without dismantling the exhaust on my truck.

It was nice knowing what the diagnoses was before paying the machanic to fix it.

Thanks Ridgid

Comment

Thanks' Rick ,now its' 3 steaks
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                Thanks for saving my new MINI from certain death.I was going to try it on a 2" trap this morning to see what would happen.

Thanks Ridgid
                Is it possible you meant your Micro SeeSnake? The Mini SeeSnake is a sewer camera.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I never try to force my mini seesnake through a trap, to much of a beating.

My recommendation is to locate the vent, sounds like you know where it is already, cut it and go down the vent.

If you go down the trap, you might get stuck, break the camera, then where will you be?? without a camera, chances are.

I like to go in the vents, no traps to deal with, the other thing about going down a vent is the camera will be away from where you have to locate most of the time, gives you a accurate location, better then when you are 12" from the reel and monitor when you are trying to locate.

Good luck and let us know what happens. Any chance of a re-location?? rather then tear up the slab?
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Much Mahalo (Thank You) guys for the replies.

From the sounds of it I need to locate the vent pipe, cut it, and go from there. I'm just hoping the vent doesn't take off further downstream from the problem area.

If I do use the Mini See Snake. Is it possible to use a locator to locate the problem area from above floor?

I am trying to determine if the problem is under the shower or outside the shower. Being that this Marble/Tile shower is only 2 years old, the last thing I wanna do is demo it if the problem is under the walkway.

Comment

the mini comes standard with a 512hz. built in sonde. this will locate through cast iron, clay and plastic.

if you need help or a mini all i need is 2 economy tickets from los angeles to hawaii and back joey needs a vacation too

act quick or i'll be in costa rica

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        the mini comes standard with a 512hz. built in sonde. this will locate through cast iron, clay and plastic.

if you need help or a mini all i need is 2 economy tickets from los angeles to hawaii and back joey needs a vacation too

act quick or i'll be in costa rica

rick.

Do I have to throw in hula dancers and a Luau too? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          Is it possible you meant your Micro SeeSnake? The Mini SeeSnake is a sewer camera.

Mark
                          So embarassing

Comment

I use my micro to locate vents in the walls, a hole in the wall is easier to patch then a bunch of cut out sections. Once the vent is located, pop it open, heck, you might be lucky, if the plumber was nice, you might have a c/o buried in the wall

Here, c/o's are required for drains under slabs, you might just have one in that vent for the tub.

Good luck, let us know what happens.
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                            X