Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Residential Roughing/Finish Preferences

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Residential Roughing/Finish Preferences

    When you rough/finish a new home/renovation:
    What do you like/use?
    (i had this post set up chart like (so it was easier to read) - but spaces were erased)

    Item: My Answers No Budget

    Drainage type PVC CI verticals
    Water pipe type Copper M Copper L
    Gas Pipe type Wardflex ?
    Tub/Shwr valves Moen Posi-Temp ? Grohe
    Body sprays /volume controls/ Hand held sprayers Ondine Rohl
    Shower pans Musty ? Fiberglass
    1/2/3 Pc. fiberglass tub/shwr Sterling ?
    Tubs Americast Cast Iron wide
    Tub drains Kindred PVC tip toe PVC cable drain
    Whirlpool ? Kohler ?
    Water heater Takagi Mobius ? indirect w/h
    wash. mach. pan or flr. drn. floor drain ? fiberglass flr. drn.
    Boiler Weil McClain ? a new wall hung
    Toilets Gerber Toto w/ $1000 seat
    Pedestals ? American Standard ? Kohler
    Faucets Symmons ? Grohe
    Stainless Steel kitchen sink ? 8" deep Elkay
    Basket Strainer Duo Specification ? Kohler
    Hose bib B&G 1/4 turn Moen H & C model
    Finishes Chrome Oil Rubbed Bronze
    Last edited by ericwagner4; 10-24-2007, 07:05 PM.

  • #2
    Re: Residential Roughing/Finish Preferences

    Originally posted by ericwagner4 View Post
    When you rough/finish a new home/renovation:
    What do you like/use?
    (i had this post set up chart like (so it was easier to read) - but spaces were erased)

    Item: My Answers No Budget

    Drainage type PVC CI verticals ABS, cast on second stories if customer pays for it
    Water pipe type Copper M Copper L type L copper only
    Gas Pipe type Wardflex ? Galv steel or tracpipe
    Tub/Shwr valves Moen Posi-Temp ? Grohe Kohler/ symmons/kallista
    Body sprays /volume controls/ Hand held sprayers Ondine Rohl Speakman
    Shower pans Musty ? Fiberglass hot mop/ tile is best
    1/2/3 Pc. fiberglass tub/shwr Sterling ?
    Tubs Americast Cast Iron wide Americast or kohler cast iron
    Tub drains Kindred PVC tip toe PVC cable drain ABS tip toe
    Whirlpool ? Kohler ? Kohler
    Water heater Takagi Mobius ? indirect w/h Bradford white/ rinnai tankless
    wash. mach. pan or flr. drn. floor drain ? fiberglass flr. drn.
    Boiler Weil McClain ? a new wall hung
    Toilets Gerber Toto w/ $1000 seat Kohler cimarron
    Pedestals ? American Standard ? Kohler Kohler fixtures
    Faucets Symmons ? Grohe Kohler
    Stainless Steel kitchen sink ? 8" deep Elkay Franke
    Basket Strainer Duo Specification ? Kohler Pro Flow or kohler
    Hose bib B&G 1/4 turn Moen H & C model
    Finishes Chrome Oil Rubbed Bronze
    Chrome/ brushed nickle


    My answers are all in red
    Last edited by westcoastplumber; 10-24-2007, 08:26 PM.
    sigpic

    Robert

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Residential Roughing/Finish Preferences

      Pretty much what Robert said except for the tip toe drain (YUCK)

      Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

      I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Residential Roughing/Finish Preferences

        I like PVC waste better than ABS.Cast overhead.

        Ive never done a job where I picked out the fixtures and I don't fix'm.

        Just have your interior designer fax me her selection.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Residential Roughing/Finish Preferences

          Robert,
          i used to like ABS more at 1 time also - thought there was less of a chance for leaks & can fix leaks w/ a hot screwdriver,but dont really like the summer banana effect though
          now im more into PVC - low chance of leaks also as long as every joint primed & glued correctly
          + psychological research states when people see white they think clean (as in why doctors & nurses wear white coats in hospitals)
          i especially cant stand seeing ABS traps in cabinets/vanities
          although, the 10 bath house we're roughing now will be done all in PVC foam core, the roof penetrations will be ABS (transitioned w/ some green glue)
          why do you use galvanized gas pipe in a house?
          does it have a longer life expectancy like L copper compared to M?
          Kallista valves & Franke sinks are nice?
          thanks for responses
          eric

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Residential Roughing/Finish Preferences

            If people were willing to put in access panels trip lever tub waste are nicer.But for now its tip toe.Plus it's easier for Homer to maintain.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Residential Roughing/Finish Preferences

              Originally posted by ericwagner4 View Post
              Robert,
              i used to like ABS more at 1 time also - thought there was less of a chance for leaks & can fix leaks w/ a hot screwdriver,but dont really like the summer banana effect though
              now im more into PVC - low chance of leaks also as long as every joint primed & glued correctly
              + psychological research states when people see white they think clean (as in why doctors & nurses wear white coats in hospitals)
              i especially cant stand seeing ABS traps in cabinets/vanities
              although, the 10 bath house we're roughing now will be done all in PVC foam core, the roof penetrations will be ABS (transitioned w/ some green glue)
              why do you use galvanized gas pipe in a house?
              does it have a longer life expectancy like L copper compared to M?
              Kallista valves & Franke sinks are nice?
              thanks for responses
              eric
              Kallista fixtures and Franke sinks are excellent, as long as the customers wanna pay for the quality. I never go anything less then kohler on residential and symmons on commercial or rental units.

              I love galv for gas because you can use it looks cleaner and is rust resistent, I can use it ouside, above ground and inside also, less fittings and nipples to carry on my van.

              My fellow plumbers back east say it is bad because it flakes, I never have had that problem, it isn't a concern out here, and code approves the use of galv for gas here.

              Between you and me, I think we have better gas here in the west
              sigpic

              Robert

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Residential Roughing/Finish Preferences

                Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                If people were willing to put in access panels trip lever tub waste are nicer.But for now its tip toe.Plus it's easier for Homer to maintain.
                u dont like the cable drains as opposed to the trip levers?
                some r pretty nice

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Residential Roughing/Finish Preferences

                  Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  If people were willing to put in access panels trip lever tub waste are nicer.But for now its tip toe.Plus it's easier for Homer to maintain.


                  Excellent point Adam, an access panel is needed for slip joint w/o's, I think tip toe is nice, they have to be adjusted right
                  sigpic

                  Robert

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Residential Roughing/Finish Preferences

                    I don't think you can use it Eric.You got bad gas.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Residential Roughing/Finish Preferences

                      Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      If people were willing to put in access panels trip lever tub waste are nicer.But for now its tip toe.Plus it's easier for Homer to maintain.
                      Of course if you use brass ferrules on the W&O instead of slip-joint washers you don't need access panels.

                      Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                      I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Residential Roughing/Finish Preferences

                        Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                        Excellent point Adam, an access panel is needed for slip joint w/o's, I think tip toe is nice, they have to be adjusted right
                        Right...They have to be adjusted

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Residential Roughing/Finish Preferences

                          Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          Of course if you use brass ferrules on the W&O instead of slip-joint washers you don't need access panels.

                          Mark
                          All seriousness why have I never heard this before.I thought it was due to mechanical joints.Why would the brass ferrule alter the application.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Residential Roughing/Finish Preferences

                            Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            All seriousness why have I never heard this before.I thought it was due to mechanical joints.Why would the brass ferrule alter the application.
                            They are consider a permanent joint which never need maintanance unlike rubber or plastic slip-joint washers which need to be replaced on occassion.

                            Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Residential Roughing/Finish Preferences

                              Mark,
                              That is a very large piece of information,I thank you very much.Ferrules are so easy to be had.

                              I do appreciate this Mark

                              I'll buy your ammo for the trap festival

                              Adam

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X