Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Working 4 Family - Ahhhhhhhh!

if you like the size & shape of the dewalt, youll love the super hawg
    persoanlly i own a Super Hawg & love it (big price tag though) i like the long design - good for leverage & movement of drill bit for large/hard to drill holes
    i think it's like 13 amps (most powerful in class) & fastest RPM's (i have to have most powerful/fastest/lightest power tools - Makita 13 amp sawzall, paslode nailgun, Milwaukee circular saw, cordless milwaukee 28 volt set, etc.)
    especially for myself when i'm not working hourly
    the super hawg's power is perfect for big Lenox 1 tooth bits & large hole saws to make beautiful holes for 3 or 4" pipe/hubs
    its speed is perfect for flying through water holes 1 after another
    i can't stand drilling taking longer than it has to (especially at the top of an 8') it gets pretty old after about 8 hrs.
    the super hawg's speed/power hides the fact that a used-to-be-new bit gets a little dull
    it also hides the power loss running off a 5000 watt generator over 150 ' of cord
    I think the RIDGID is a little heavy/stubby/slow (even in 3rd gear) for all day drilling - good as any other for once in a while drilling - i think its pretty affordable also - probably my pick for moderate/low use
    I grew up w/ the Hole Hawg & i think it's power & speed is superior to RIDGID's (i know for a fact they last a long time for their price) - probably my pick for moderate use
    i think really each drill's power/speed/shape/price fits good for a certain body/strength/use
    some people like to drill slower, more controlled holes & others faster
    some use them every day & others once in a blue moon
    from my experience when in doubt buy Milwaukee power tools- u will not be dissatisfied
    Last edited by ericwagner4; 10-29-2007, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Thanks Eric,
      Nice post.
      Yeah,If all a guy was doing was blasting through plates I'd put a hawg in their hands.

Unfortunately,like I said,the hawg is too fast to do all the special drillwork needed for clean and safe,multi-hole drill notching,honing triples for 45degree offsets and all the other wierd positions and uses that would scare the S#!T out of someone who does not no how to use them.

Sometimes the hawg moves the bit so fast the bit looses it's pilot bit bite.Especially on rake wall plates.Also when a nail gets hit it takes too many rotations to come to a complete stop,thereby doing that much more damage to a bit.

I was checking to see what Ridgid was bringing to the table for construction.

Thanks
      Last edited by drtyhands; 10-29-2007, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I use a milwaukee right angle to do my water boring and my hole drilling.

When I was boring on my most recent remodel I was knocked off the ladder when I hit a nail and cut my lip, with just the right angle, when I used a hole hog I nearly broke my jaw.

I have no problems with my right angle and have drilled many holes and ran many water services under driveways and sidewalks.

Maybe ridgid can come out with a powerful right angle without the bite when one hits a nail.

For some reason, I guess with my luck, It always hits me in the jaw
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

ok eric since no one else has said this, why don't you sit down one day with your dad like a man and put your cards on the table with him and ask him what the deal is. tell him you thank him for all he has done and all he contiues to do, tell him how you feel and where your mind is at. but do not argue with him or throw his drill in the street.(kinda childish) find out what he wants from you and do not be surprized if he says for you to move out, after all he is in his 60s and he did not think his 33 yo son would still be at home and i am sure that is a part of it. not trying to rub you the wrong way and he is doing you one hell of a favor, even you admit that. with what ever happens stay calm and respectful, and i wish you the best of luck
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

What's water boring with the right angle drill?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Hydro Drill

The Perfecto Hydro Drill easily bores under sidewalks and driveways. You can bore up to 200' for pipe from 1/2" to 8" diameter!
              This very versatile boring tool eliminates the need for excavating when putting in utility services under existing driveways, sidewalks or landscaping.
              Constructed of Cast Aluminum, stainless steel, and high-strength alloy steel.
              The Perfecto Hydro Drill is available in a variety of configurations. The #1 Hydro Drill is assembled with a 5/8" shaft, and a 1/2" Drill Chuck Adapter, the #3 Hydro Drill is assembled with a 7/8" shaft and your choice of 1/2", 5/8" or 3/4" Drill Chuck Adapter.

Part Numbers and Descriptions:
              • 1501 - #1 Hydro Drill with 1" Auger and 1/2" Drill Chuck Adapter
              • 1502 - #1 Hydro Drill with 2" Auger and 1/2" Drill Chuck Adapter
              • 1503 - #3 Hydro Drill with 2" Auger, specify 1/2", 5/8", or 3/4" Drill Chuck Adapter
              Excellent for going under sidewalks and driveways, solder on copper and hook this up to it, turn the drill on, water on, and it slides real easy. Only problem, you hit a rock and the thing will dive one way or the other, sometimes a pain, but better then cutting custom driveways, or sidewalks.

This is the one I use, it is excellent in my book.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Seeing toys like this is why the wif hates me looking at the forum. She already has it in for Rick. New toy on the list.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                  I use a milwaukee right angle to do my water boring and my hole drilling.

When I was boring on my most recent remodel I was knocked off the ladder when I hit a nail and cut my lip, with just the right angle, when I used a hole hog I nearly broke my jaw.

I have no problems with my right angle and have drilled many holes and ran many water services under driveways and sidewalks.

Maybe ridgid can come out with a powerful right angle without the bite when one hits a nail.

For some reason, I guess with my luck, It always hits me in the jaw
                  The DeWalt has a clutch on low speed as does the Super Hawg I think.High speed won't hurt you if your paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    The DeWalt has a clutch on low speed as does the Super Hawg I think.High speed won't hurt you if your paying attention.

Yeah, thats the key phrase "Paying Attention" I get bored and my mind kinda wonders off on other things and before I know it .........BAM!!!!!
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                      Hydro Drill

The Perfecto Hydro Drill easily bores under sidewalks and driveways. You can bore up to 200' for pipe from 1/2" to 8" diameter!
                      This very versatile boring tool eliminates the need for excavating when putting in utility services under existing driveways, sidewalks or landscaping.
                      Constructed of Cast Aluminum, stainless steel, and high-strength alloy steel.
                      The Perfecto Hydro Drill is available in a variety of configurations. The #1 Hydro Drill is assembled with a 5/8" shaft, and a 1/2" Drill Chuck Adapter, the #3 Hydro Drill is assembled with a 7/8" shaft and your choice of 1/2", 5/8" or 3/4" Drill Chuck Adapter.

Part Numbers and Descriptions:
                      • 1501 - #1 Hydro Drill with 1" Auger and 1/2" Drill Chuck Adapter
                      • 1502 - #1 Hydro Drill with 2" Auger and 1/2" Drill Chuck Adapter
                      • 1503 - #3 Hydro Drill with 2" Auger, specify 1/2", 5/8", or 3/4" Drill Chuck Adapter
                      Excellent for going under sidewalks and driveways, solder on copper and hook this up to it, turn the drill on, water on, and it slides real easy. Only problem, you hit a rock and the thing will dive one way or the other, sometimes a pain, but better then cutting custom driveways, or sidewalks.

This is the one I use, it is excellent in my book.
                      I have one as well and it works great. I know of companies who core the curb and install complete mains using theirs.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

http://www.borzit.com/
                        Attached Files
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

i have a few of these drills and they do work good until they bite

got 9 stitches over the eye when the but jammed on a footing and the hole hawg came around with a 3' 3/4'' cheater on it

i also use my jetter with a special boring set up.

then for the big stuff i have a hydraulic powered pipe pusher and puller with 100' of rod. this is not the trenchless pipe burster.

i feel that the jetter is the safest as it doesn't cut any other utilities. it is very fast with a good jetter and i've even installed 4'' piping under the sidewalk and curb with it.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                          X