X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing Inspector Qualifications

It seems that many us question the usefulness of inspectors for various reasons. That begs the question, what qualifications does one need to become an inspector? Are they retired master plumbers, young kid who just finished college, etc? Have you found them to be helpful in construction aspect or a hinderance?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Plumbing Inspector Qualifications

All of the above. In addition, they usually have to pass a Civil Service test and hold an Insprctors Certificate with the agency for which code they are working under.

Just like trades persons some are okay and some need more experience.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Inspectors are a unique aspect of any project.They are a necessity to protect the community from the hoards of non-professionals.Sometimes it is a challenge to help the newbie inspector understand his job.
      Discrepancies this year alone.
      1.10' head on a sewer replacement
      2.vents ran with no rise
      3.residence's potable water connected to munincipality,inspector requested guage.

What I did appreciate was in the city of Santa Monica the inspector had me pull solder joints to check for ream and city of L.A. asking if my helper had a journeymans card.Helper did not have card but the inspector let me know that I need to have him get one.So I know they are as frustrated as the tradesmen who see others cutting corners.

I have had quite a bit of fun with them over the years.
      I deliberately flooded a downstairs bathroom of a two story once when an inspector told me my waste system did not have water in it,hope his wife didn't buy those loafers

I don't care who he is,COME ON DOWN!!!

Comment

Inspectors for the most part are ok, I guess we just need more of them.

One thing though, some of them shouldn't be so lazy Crawl under the house and check my job out, see how clean and straight it is, come on, crawl under there, I did it just for you!.......................
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

it is not just plumbing inspectors.. i remember in maryland a few years back i framed up a victorain style house 3 floors with a full atic and with a widows leap on the roof(45 ft above ground) he sat in his car shacking and sweating looking up there(late january...lol) and said "looks nice.... you passed" handed me the sticker and drove away....... still think he should have gone up there and looked after all i spent a week out there building it for him to look at.
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

It seems like in my area if you can spell inspector, you can be an inspector.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
              I spend a fair amount of my time working in Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson, Laughlin, Sparks and Reno. Are you in any of those areas?

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post

cool i can spell inspector, it is every other word in the world i have problems with
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                  Inspectors for the most part are ok, I guess we just need more of them.

One thing though, some of them shouldn't be so lazy Crawl under the house and check my job out, see how clean and straight it is, come on, crawl under there, I did it just for you!.......................
                  Again I'm with westcoast. More inspectors are needed. I work in so many cities today that have one or two inspectors for the entire city. How can they adequately inspect if they are overloaded?

Westcoast is making real sense on his posts.
                  the dog

Comment

No, I am not in any of those areas. I am in southern Nevada, but outside of Las Vegas. We are still pretty rural out here. To give you an idea, we did not get a building department until 2000. You should see some of the homes built before then. Pretty scary stuff.

Comment

i've been complaining about the inspector situation for years now. on a residential 2 units and less in the city of los angeles, you get a combination inspector and not a true plumbing inspector.

i have yet to see 1 inspector crawl under a house/ building to look.

i do a lot of private inspections as a owners rep. i have yet to find 1 that would actually pass a real plumbing inspection. just a few days ago i crawled under the new remodel to find the coper not strapped and the 2'' shower line connected into a 1.5'' riser from the existing waste. the tub and shower valves were ruffed in too deep and the toilet ruff was at 15''. the shower head was capped off with a black cap and the hand held had no divertor installed. sure it's not the inspectors job to call them on most of the items i listed. but if he could see what i saw, he should know they were not qualified to install plumbing. he should question their work.

not sure if they even put water in the waste to test?

i know for a fact that the commercial inspectors are qualified. typically retired plumbers/ contractors.

a few years back there was a radio talk show with the chief building inspector for the city. well i got through and let him have it. of course all he could say was to call him at his office to discuss it in detail. 6 weeks later his assistant called me and basically said it wasn't up to the inspectors to police the contractors it's up to the homeowner to hire qualified contractors.
                      well now you know how frustrated i am with answers like that.
                      (inspector)the inspectors don't have the time to look at everything, i was told.
                      how about the plumbing under the house where all the issues are hiding

well, i would love to go on, but it doesn't get any better.

residential (bmi/ building mechanical inspectors) are a joke.
                      commercial inspectors are fine

rick.

many years ago (19)when i was 25 i took a city test for plumbing inspector. never studied and actually wasn't interested in the job if it was offered. i was even interviewed by the city and civil service. there was a pool of 5 that were interviewed. none were hired as there was a hiring freeze
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                      X