X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remote thermostats

I have a 4 family house in which each tenant has a thermostat in their apt. and can call for heat independent of each other. I am trying to find a way to control heating costs in an relatively inexpensive way would this be a viable option? Any help would be appreciated.

jt

Re: remote thermostats

What kind of climate control system do you have?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

hot water/gas furnace

Comment

Have you thought about insulation? I did a heat load calc today for my office space and presently we would need a 5 ton unit. By adding r-30 insulation to the attic, we would only need a 3 ton. Makes a big difference.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

it's not practical at this point....I'm certain that the house isn't adequately insulated....but if you know anything about tenants (especially ones with children) they are always cold, especially when they don't have to pay for the heat so even if the house was propertly insulated they would still run the heat 24/7.

jt

Comment

Your ultimate objective is a way for you to control the temperature in each apt? If this is your goal. Why not rerun the thermostats to a locked location that has the same conditioned air as the apt.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Scratch the previous statement. Why not install tamperproof thermostats? You will often see these in commercial applications.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

How about a locking thremostat guard (cage) for the thermostats you fear will be set too high? You can use your current T-stats but keep fingers away. Please see the key lock on the end. I bet this is what G J had in mind. You can find them in several sizes and styles. The one shown is 3-1/2 square by 2-1/4 deep and fits the popular Honeywell T87F round thremostat.

In addition there are T-stats that require a small hex key (Allen wrench) or other tool to adjust them.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Woussko; 10-31-2007, 09:59 AM. Reason: Wording was a mess

Comment

Couple of options availible. Install a Honeywell FocusPro t-stat in each unit. You can program it to limit heat/cool settings (min and max. temps). Can be pricey though.

Personally I think an outdoor reset control works best in this situation.

Comment

Those are both excellent suggestions, PC.

My only idea would require new tennants with a new lease agreement, or a new lease for the existing tennants. You could have electric meters installed between the thermostats and zone valves that monitor how much time the zone valves are open. After reading these meters monthly, you could charge them their percentage of the gas bill.

Grasslin makes meters that will work for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
                      Those are both excellent suggestions, PC.

My only idea would require new tennants with a new lease agreement, or a new lease for the existing tennants. You could have electric meters installed between the thermostats and zone valves that monitor how much time the zone valves are open. After reading these meters monthly, you could charge them their percentage of the gas bill.

Grasslin makes meters that will work for this.
                      A low voltage electric meter?

I don't think I've ever seen one. That's a great idea Ruudguy.

Now I have to Google it

Comment

Look into Proliphix theromostats. They have a web interface, logging, remote control and access control features that seem applicable for the situation

Comment

use the focus pro t-stats. you can find them for 50 buck even @ the depot, set your het limits. i hope all 4 dont go to the same furnaceor your in a shitload. i see this allot when a single dwelling is rented to a few diff. people. the furnace breaks down allot when you do this. you could just set the fan to circulate then put dummy stats in each unit if there is only1 heat source.
                          how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Run Time Hour Meters

Take a look at item HRM1248ADRSS which I think should work on 24 Volts AC. I would call them up to be sure and also they may give a better deal if you buy several at one time. I picked this style as it mounts in a 2 inch round hole like automotive gauges. Think of having 4 of them in a row mounted to the front of a steel wiring box and then mount that in the furnace room in a handy location.
                            http://www.ingramproducts.com/rss.html and also http://www.ingramproducts.com/pdf/ho...20HRMxxRSS.pdf

The above are used to log run time for many types of machinery. The HRM90230ACRSS works with 120-230 Volts AC and would be nice for logging the run time of pumps and more.

This is a catalog of a better known brand of hour meters, but I don't see any for 24 Volt AC operation.
                            http://content.honeywell.com/sensing...f/cat_hour.pdf

Ruudacguy, Are these at all like what you mean?
                            Last edited by Woussko; 11-01-2007, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              A low voltage electric meter?

I don't think I've ever seen one. That's a great idea Ruudguy.

Now I have to Google it
                              I have used them and they actually work pretty good. There are still a few in use at the building my shop is in. I lease about 5 thousand square feet of a 140 thousand square feet building. These meters have worked out real good to monitor the gas usage of 3 other tennants. I didnt have enough time to re-pipe the entire building when I was installing heat, but I do get a little more done every year. We are slowly phasing these meters out, and getting tennants in with their own name on the gas bill. The 3 units next to me have 2 Reznor TR150-50's. We take the meter reading, multiply it by 1.5, then multiply by what gas is per therm. We round the number down to account for the 15 second pre-purge cycle. Its not perfect, but its close.

Comment

Working...
                              X