Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: something interesting

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Gopher not trying to pick on you hear but I feel this has become a common sentiment floating around here. DIY are lowly folks, how dare they try to fix there own house? The audacity, trying to save money. They should always call professionals. Of course I'm being dramatic and sarcastic. We were poor growing up and I can't remember a time when a professional was called to do a job. My dad would get a book from the library and figure out how to solder or do whatever. We always did the job right to the best of our abilities. Of course there's a need for us in the field. But let's slow our roll in thinking that DIY are idiots who can't do anything but call a guy from the yellow pages. This includes me. We need to focus our attention on the hacks like me, robert and everyone has encountered because we (A) either lost business to them or (B) had to fix their screwup. Those are the people hurting the trade and our reputation. Most DIY are self reliant people who need a little guidance on when they can do a job and when they need to call a professional.

Good job Ben, that is an excellent way to put it!!!
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

you have a very vaild point Gear...I will have to review the way I look at DIY's.

Comment

Robert, what a PERFECT thread for me to walk into at this particular point.....
        I've been all out busy day & night working.
        Went to look at a pool heater relocation job last week, a 300K btu heater connected with 80 feet of 1/2" CSST from the meter on the other side of the house, instead of cutting into the nearby gas main.
        I don't care what state you're from, thats WRONG.
        It had apparently just been installed by their "certified pool guy" a few years ago.
        I showed the inspector today what I'd replaced and I though he was gonna fall over laughing.
        I wound up running steele hard pipe underground to the new location in 1-1/4" diameter and sleeved with pvc with tracer - as we chatted about on the phone one night Robert.
        Dude, I'm right with you on the hacks stealing work....if that guy charged for that work he should face the consequences.
        As for the "farmhouse" mentality, sure it's understandable a lower income family can't afford a plumber for smaller, less dangerous tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          Robert, what a PERFECT thread for me to walk into at this particular point.....
          I've been all out busy day & night working.
          Went to look at a pool heater relocation job last week, a 300K btu heater connected with 80 feet of 1/2" CSST from the meter on the other side of the house, instead of cutting into the nearby gas main.
          I don't care what state you're from, thats WRONG.
          It had apparently just been installed by their "certified pool guy" a few years ago.
          I showed the inspector today what I'd replaced and I though he was gonna fall over laughing.
          I wound up running steele hard pipe underground to the new location in 1-1/4" diameter and sleeved with pvc with tracer - as we chatted about on the phone one night Robert.
          Dude, I'm right with you on the hacks stealing work....if that guy charged for that work he should face the consequences.
          As for the "farmhouse" mentality, sure it's understandable a lower income family can't afford a plumber for smaller, less dangerous tasks.

You know whats funny Ducky, I have been sniffing around my competion lately, I have located multiple contractors advertising drain cleaning for $40.00, some from the roof for $50.00, I even ran into one guy that say's he will beat any written estimate by 50%

I wonder what these jobs look like? Are they clean, and plumb? How does one survive charging these rates? Are they insured?

I am going to change my moto to:

If They Can Do It, I can Do It Cheaper.... or....

If They Can Do It, I Can Do It Cheaper And Better.......

Sadly, I refuse to hurt the trade anymore then it already is, so I would rather leave the state and move to one that isn't so over run with hacks and where plumbing is still a respectable trade, where people don't have the "anyone can do it" attitude cause they see all these clowns in plumbing vans.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Right, makes me wanna scream hearing Herks stories in particular.

Comment

Duck,

300,000 btu with a 80' run of 1/2" CSST????

Was that a 2 pound system with regulator at heater??

I dont see how that was possible at 4oz. (7" W.C.).

Just Curious???

Comment

Scouts honor Biscuit...and it actually worked (I'd bet it took five times as long to run)
                At .25 psi, 7-8" WC...thats right...tied right into an available tee at the meter instead of 13' away at the gas main.

Comment

There is no way he was getting the capacity out of it, thats for sure.

I bet you will be the hero now when teh weather gets a little cooler.

regards,

Comment

Keep in mind, it isn't even steel pipe, it was CSST, pull out the size chart, csst is sized differently then steel, I am very suprised it worked, they were probable getting around 25,000 btu's out of it
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Whats funny is both of you just repeated almost exactly what I told the homeowner regarding the csst sizing as well as the heater not functioning at nearly it's capacity.
                      To her I sound like I'm trying to "sell" more work...to us it's unbeleivable it actually worked.

Comment

Working...
                      X