Clear All

• something interesting

Name:  1e626121600422589c3abc491bfe8cc0.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  65.5 KB

Name:  4b7243e487e6e2bea0c1db5cd2f490c5.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  68.0 KB

I went to a job today to clear a mainline stoppage, appears that the "Resident Plumber" cleared it himself with a 3/8" cable.

I was speaking to the owner of the property because it is a row of 5 houses, no mainline c/o and stoppages every month or so. I explained to him that he needed a camera to locate where the problems are and too find a prime place to install a mainline c/o.

While speaking to him, the resident plumber was present and in his broken english explaining how he can do plumbing and so on and so fourth. I asked the owner who had repiped portions of his building, he had stated that his tenant had, the resident plumber. We'll, long story short, He lost my quality work and I lost the job to the resident plumber who said he is "going to dig a hole and stick a tee in the sewer"

I figured it would be a good time to post his prior work on the property.

I am so tired of losing work to these hack's, we need to send them all back.

What works in mexico, doesn't work here.......or does it.
    Last edited by westcoastplumber; 10-30-2007, 08:59 PM.
    sigpic

Robert

Re: something interesting

Me and Robert had the same day. I was contacted to fix 2 leaks that a LICENSED PLUMBER did. He sweated this elbow and others and when they leaked, his idea was to put this 2 part epoxy on the fitting. The homeowner has already contacted the state board and BBB on his actions. He also forgot to put a p-trap for the shower, he missed installing a cleanout in 3 different places. The best was the water supply for the dishwasher. He ran 2 SS hoses coupled with a 90 straight through the floor into the crawlspace and contected it to the hot side with a saddle tap. And the cost of this workmanship? $600.00!
    Attached Files
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Don't worry Robert, the cream will always rise to the top. You'll succeed over the hacks in your area.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

see this is why some home onwers get scared and want to try to do there own plumbing because they are just as good if not better then some plumbers....lol

that was a joke.......... awwww comeon now, i thought it was funny lol
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Looks like both of you had quite a "Hack-sperience".

They should make a "Sticky" thread of all the hack jobs we run across.

I was my own Hack today, I turned on the new lav faucet I had just installed only to hear water draining on to my towel in the cabinet. I got sidetracked and forgot to put back the trap after installing the pop-up assy. LOL.

Sidenote:

I don't really care for those plastic pop-up assemblies. I never provide these, usually its what the G.C. or homeowner buys.

Don't you just hate those late '80's - early '90's Merillat cabinets with the vertical center support behind the doors? Makes it a hassle to do repairs, especially when replacing angle stops.

Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
            see this is why some home onwers get scared and want to try to do there own plumbing because they are just as good if not better then some plumbers....lol

that was a joke.......... awwww comeon now, i thought it was funny lol

HAHAHA, you make a valid point. These jackasses are doing it, so why can't I?? Plumbing is easy, why pay someone to do the kind of job I can do for the cost of material?

Sadly, it is true OSC.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Wow. It must be junker day all the way 'round. I already posted on another forum the long story about the job I looked at this morning, in a house plumbed maybe five years ago by a longtime local hack. This guy thumbs his nose at the state and does whatever he wants to, claiming it's his property and he can do what he wants to. He's plumbed a lot of commercial buildings that he owns, and there are always some real laugh riots at some of the things he's done.

In this case, none of the stacks were finished in the basement rough-in. The guy built the house for his son, then the house was sold to someone else. So there are the stubs coming out of the floor, and a 2" vent coming down over the outside concrete wall of the basement. There was a condensate hose going through the duct tape on one of the stubs. There's an unvented floor drain. They want to sell the house and have built two walls to either side of the original crooked 2" x 6" plate on the floor, making it extremely hard to plan cleanouts at the bases of the stacks that can be reached through the wall, and the toilet flange in the concrete is now about 3" away from the rough wall.

I also noticed that there were no dielectrics of any kind on the water heater - just copper piped directly, and the relief valve wasn't piped to the floor. AND IT HAD A FINAL PLUMBING TAG ON IT!

I can't imagine a plumber doing a house who wouldn't finish the stacks on the basement rough, and I always plumbed the copper for the future bath back when I was using copper. When I switched to plastic, I put the future water lines in, too.

I turned down the job since I don't do remodels anymore. And in this case, if I did remodels, I would insist on doing the entire job - not just a trap for the washer and pipe to the washer box like the owner wanted. The only reason the HO wanted the washer in the basement plumbed is so they could rock and tape the walls so that they could get another $18,000 out of the house, which is what the real estate agent told them. And they'd pass the plumbing problems on to the next owner AGAIN.

Comment

Morons, plain and simple. I get called on jobs thet there "weldor" fixed and sometimes have to laugh, or yell at them for using the repair risking life and limb. I am no pro plumber, but damm that is some hackmaster delux work right there.

Comment

There's a million of those. Would have been a heartache customer, anyway!

Be happy He showed His cards early. A good customer always replaces these jerks !
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Gday Im a Plumber from Sydney Australia.
                    So from the posts on this topic am I correct in assuming that when people do work on their own house they are not requiered to be the holder of a Plumbing Licence ?
                    Thanks Shane

Comment

Well I sure as hell don't have a license and have only nearly burned my house down once.

Comment

Originally posted by Bondibouy
                        So from the posts on this topic am I correct in assuming that when people do work on their own house they are not requiered to be the holder of a Plumbing Licence ?
                        It depends on the state. Here, they can work on their own home, but have to pass code and take a permit. In some states, the cities require some licensing and the counties outside the cities are a free-for-all. In some places, the requirements in the city are more stringent than the county.

As an added confusion here, there is a "manufacturing" clause that allows just about anything, including work on a farmhouse, meaning that there's the wrong way, the right way, and the farm way. The farm way is usually bailing wire and duct tape.

Comment

I figure people can DIY all they want...save that $$$$$ put it in the bank....because they will need it when the hack's work catches fire...or for plumers floods the house...apprtment what ever.

I love people trying to fix their AC unit before calling me...nothing makes my little furry hart sing a happy song than walking up to a nice condensor and seeing a pannel off....humm oh my neighbor's brother twice removed knows all about air conditioners and he come over and worked on it.....hummm cool he's a lot cheaper than company I work for...oh by the way if he fixed it why did u call? Lonely? had extra beer? just wanted to pay me to drive up to your house? Ohhhhh its not working...hummm welp let me look....welp u see this fuse here? or Capacator? or burt wire....what ever...yep welp IF u would have called us ..or another company...it would ahve cost u $100 to fix it.....but ur buddy's friend how worked on this....welp he blew the transformer...the compressor....and since he's changed the wireing around...its going to cost $XXXX for me to rewire the unit.

Most likely same with this case....once sewer backs up...puts raw sewage in a few units....then they will call u back to "fix" the cheap repair....

I seen a sign at a auto repair shop... Labor rate $25 per hour, If u watch $50, if u help $75 per hour, if u tried to repair it yourself first $150 per hour

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Gopher View Post
                            I figure people can DIY all they want...save that $$$$$ put it in the bank....because they will need it when the hack's work catches fire...or for plumers floods the house...apprtment what ever.
                            Gopher not trying to pick on you hear but I feel this has become a common sentiment floating around here. DIY are lowly folks, how dare they try to fix there own house? The audacity, trying to save money. They should always call professionals. Of course I'm being dramatic and sarcastic. We were poor growing up and I can't remember a time when a professional was called to do a job. My dad would get a book from the library and figure out how to solder or do whatever. We always did the job right to the best of our abilities. Of course there's a need for us in the field. But let's slow our roll in thinking that DIY are idiots who can't do anything but call a guy from the yellow pages. This includes me. We need to focus our attention on the hacks like me, robert and everyone has encountered because we (A) either lost business to them or (B) had to fix their screwup. Those are the people hurting the trade and our reputation. Most DIY are self reliant people who need a little guidance on when they can do a job and when they need to call a professional.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

gear,

that is a great post and i could not agree more
                              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Working...
                              X