X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A source of water flow meters?

Hi,

I am new to this forum, and have a question:

I am looking for a decent but economical water flow rate meter for a permanent installation in an experimental / showcase hydronic heating + domestic hot water system, ideally satisfying these criteria:

* Cost under $150, ideally under $60
    * Suitable for permanent in-line installation
    * Should display the current rate of water flow through it, in the range of 0 - 7 or 0-10 GPM or thereabouts.
    * Extreme accuracy not required. 5% or the ballpark would be OK
    * Up to 200 deg F water temp.
    * up to 150psi max. pressure
    * reasonably low head loss desired
    * 3/4" or 1" sweat or NPT connections desired, for inline type meters

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Alex

Re: A source of water flow meters?

http://www.omega.com/guides/rotameters.html
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I didn't research Bob's suggested website, but clicked it on and saw it was Omega. I used a lot of their products back in the early 90's when I worked for an engineering company which did a lot of r & d. You can probably get a ball type flow meter in pvc pretty cheap. They are not super accurate, but you said you didn't need that. The temp. rating may be a problem, with pvc.

In any event good luck.

If you don't find what you need contact Harrington, or as a last resort, Santa Fe Plastics. I haven't worked with them in twelve years, so I can't vouch for them, but they used to handle that sort of thing.
      the dog

Comment

Try also Ryan Herco. In a pinch and you have a lot of time, Furguson can get anything you want for a price and wait.
        the dog

Comment

OK Dog, you got my attention....what kinda R&D?

Comment

Thanks Bob.

Unfortunately these are all in the $500 range - which is unfathomable to me given the basic metering principle used. I can get a low-headloss in-line turbine flow meter with a digital readout for prices in that range.

What I look for is a simple meter in a $150 range - do these even exist?

Thanks

Alex

Comment

What do you folks think of these:
              http://www.instrumart.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=10171

Comment

Working...
              X