X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Truck/Van opinion

Thanks for the good advice from everyone. As far as a bigger vehicle being a gas guzzler; my stance is(and tell me if this is wrong) that a smaller vehicle is the gas guzzler because you don't have everything on your small truck so you have to run back to the supply house to get it. You can't charge the customer for time wasted because you didn't have the part so it's lost money for you.

So the general consensus is buy newer and take care of it to last a long time?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      ben, i have pretty much the same truck. it's a gmc w4500. 14,050# gvw.

the gas 350ci. engine is 6 mpg fully loaded

i have the 12' body with the outside doors only on the passenger side and shelving interior. the truck can steer circles around anything thanks to it's cab forward design and the 109'' wheel base.

the insurance , motor vehicle requirements and chp requirements require me to have a minimum $750,000 liability.

ben,i wouldn't buy such a truck until your in business and know what your game plan is. no need to make all the payments if this is just a part time thing. for me it's great. in the 7 years i've had it, i have 42,000 miles and it's been reliable my body is the 5/8'' thick frp and i have worked from on top of the 9' high box.

call me for more info.

rick.

Rick ,

why don't you post a real pict of it? Mark showed us his,drain showed his,rob showed his....I would like to see it...hmmm i think i did on google maps....lol..you cannot miss it

Comment

Ben,

They don't make a truck large enough to carry everything. That is why you need to decide what is important enough to pay to haul around as a just in case and that will tell you what size to get.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Ben,

They don't make a truck large enough to carry everything. That is why you need to decide what is important enough to pay to haul around as a just in case and that will tell you what size to get.

Mark
          Mark

you are right.

Robert would love to have the truck you have or the one rick has.

1)the one rick has wouldn't apply with our HOA policy and it definatly wouldnt fit into our complex

2)he loves your van mark,but it is too expensive for starting out..we already have a new truck plus a new van..our car loans would be $1000 a month with the truck we have now..not including insurance and all the things that go along just for the cars..

Rob got a used van and we don't have the van payment..so thank god for that...I tell you if we did...let's just keep it on we don't..

Now if we were renting and had no plans to have children in the future then we would definatly buy the van you or rick have.

Plus the van rob has now is ok....he doesn't has to come back all the time cause he forgot something...

It is about current needs and future plans and i think on that you decide what suits for you the best...No one can tell you get it if they don't know you,your family and your budget

Hope you get what is right in your heart and mind
          Last edited by mrs. westcoast; 11-05-2007, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Gear I was thinking about this today...

dont know about the plumbing side...but around here 1 hour HVAC comes to mind...they use a van for service calls and then use a trailer when the do change outs and installs......since ur kindof sort of doing this part time-ish...why not use a simaler set up...truck or van with a trailer for the bigger jobs....would be lower insurance...trailer tags here in Florida are cheap..

U could also use a larger trailer...load it up for everything...then just use it when u actualy go out on jobs...use your truck/van what ever for too from work...get a ac or plumbing job..hook up trailer...tools parts ect inside the trailer and go...

just a thought...

Comment

Later on you might add a second trailer so you have one for type A jobs and the other for type B jobs. Then if you really get busy pickup a third open trailer to haul junk to the dump. By then more than likely you'll have a dump truck.

Comment

Just got off the phone with Rick and he said the same thing about a trailer. This is not an immediate purchase. I plan for big purchases like this wayyy down the road. A realistic timeline for my van would be around 2 years. I'm just trying to prior plan. You guys and ladies have given me alot of good info to think about.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'm startin to feel low about this New Truck Fever . I'm thinkin to throw 5 big ones in the kitty for our Boy.I figger MARK IS THE ONE WITH ALL THE BREAD, Rick is a close second , Josh is next all Clear follows up. Now pass the HAT. HOLD IT ,CAN We get WHATZ HIS NAME BACK
                  IN? Gear will have a custom HUMMER VAN !
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

My stepvan (ups type body) is the perfect truck for me. Aluminum body, 14' cargo, easy access front and rear, 4 cylinder cummins diesel ( 15mpg). Everything is out of sight/weather. I also pull a 5x12 enclosed trailer as needed for large jobs. Go for a used one. Once you know what you want it sounds like you have the time to wait for one to come your way.

wookie

Comment

Working...
                    X