X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $7000. drain cleaning

well it was going to be a $7000.00 job if the k-1500 didn't make such a good first impression

a call came in this afternoon from an older couple that has lived in their home for 30 years. the guy from mr. rooter was there and wanted to have them ok a $7000. pipe bursting job for a plugged up drain. he said the line was broken and that he couldn't clear it. yet he was able to run a camera and show the customer the problem

the customer got nervous and called a local realtor friend who recommended me

i told the homeowner to have the guy leave and i'll be there in a few hours. the invoice was billed for $175 to snake the line and camera it. they stated the line was broken.
    the 4'' front cleanout was dry and i ran the hose to fill it up. once filled and overflowing i put my 4'' cutters onto the 1.25'' cable and ran 40' to clear the line with no problem. i continued to 70' to clean the balance. ran the washing machine and hose full blast to test.

the owner was thrilled and thankful for clearing the stoppage. meanwhile they feel that they were deceived by the mr. rooter guy.

he told them that they couldn't use the drains and he had called 2 times before i showed up to get them to approve the work. he never made a videotape or marked anything.

i asked where they got his #from. the yellow pages

moral of the story, you get what you pay for. $175 to snake and camera the line is no deal when you end up with a stoppage and a $7000. estimate.

$145. to snake the line and assure them that a new line is not needed.

they are in their 70's and the last time they had a stoppage was 10 years ago.

at that time they were also taken by a local notorious plumbing co./ george brazil also from the yellow pages.

i know they learned their lesson today after i fixed their drain

no more calling service people in the blind. always get a referral from a friend or neighbor.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: $7000. drain cleaning

tree roots?

K1500 is my only machine. ive always had good results.

Comment

Rick,kiss my *** with your yellow pages **** you pompous ***.

Comment

Originally posted by apf View Post

let me guess, you have a yellow page ad??
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I am new to this city ,don't know a soul ,but am very fair and very good at what I do.How else do I frickin' survive but an ad until the business is built -up.You are keen in observing I have an ad.

Comment

This sort of attitiude isn't going to win you any friends though!

Sure, everyone has to start somewhere, and obviously people who don't know someone to refer them will look at those ads. If you're as good and fair as you say you are, then in time you will likely be in the same position as Rick and also be warning people away from the random experience of picking from the yellow pages!

Comment

haha... a little touchy on the yellow pages comment. We need yellow pages with reviews. That would take care of the problem.

APF... I agree it could be a problem being in a new town and not having a reputation yet. Gotta start word of mouth somehow. You do a few good jobs and the word starts spreading. Just like roto rooter gets a bad name from trying to take that couple for 7k

Originally posted by apf View Post

Comment

Rick,at least I have the balls to open shop in a city I"ve never lived in before.Me thinks you would crap your pants in the same situation.I pull permits for everything,inspectors don"t bother me,most work is guaranteed between 90 days for faucet repairs and such to 1 year for new fixtures,service lines,etc.I send thank-you notes after each job listing my other services and state that they should feel free to call if there are any questions concerning work I've performed or new work they are considering.Oh Lord Rick,what else can a humble yellow pages/internert advertising contractor do to prove himself???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Weasel,you don't know my history with Rick on this subject.If you don't wanty to talk to me,no sweat !

Comment

Fair enough. I don't. And if Rick means his comments, however subtly, as a jab at you specifically then I suppose you have a right to be mad but I don't think anyone here would have taken it that way until you posted.

I tend to believe that regardless of your existance, his advice is still valid. Picking someone from the yellow pages is a crap shoot and while you could be very good, the ad next to yours could be for someone like what this thread is about. There's just no telling.

That being the case, as mentioned, once you've worked for a while and built up your reputation, the people you've worked for will be referring you to others and eventually, you won't need those ads anymore.

In the meantime though, what else can you do, eh?

Comment

Here's My take , some won't like it,so be it. Rick is a caring human,as most of You are !
                      The LORD sent Rick to help these Good older Folks. Looks like The Devil isn't The only Guy in The Underground Buss. $7000 ?
                      A.P.F. Remember,Anger is fear ! I have tons of it , I don't do so well with it Myself! Good luck,and think about this
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Me thinks that APF and Rick have a howling contest going on here.

Comment

Fear is also a motivator.I have 4 kids,I have a wife,I have people who depend on me.I need to take care of them.There are important people that come to this site and I don't like to be catoragized .I respect Rick in a lot of ways,but this here we differ.I have never publicly said don't use a tradesman because he does things a certain way or uses a certain form of advertising.It's just not fair,and when something is not fair I speak my mind.Many good people here,Robert,/WC,dirty hands,Garager,Mark[toutah],drain medic,many more seem nice but I don't really know them,and I have no problem with them.Later,maybe.

Comment

He is not bashing anyone who has a yellow pages add...Simply stated that you cant trust everyone with a yellow pages add...I 100% agree...word of mouth referrals are the best advertising....They had your service and like it, so they are going to recommend you...I have a yellow pages add....but i need it right now, i dont get enough business from word of mouth yet, but ive only been on my own for just over a year...Hopefully in the yrs to come i can get alot of word of mouth referrals, then i can stop advertising in the YP and save a ton of money and update equipment

Greg
                            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Hmm for some reason editing wont let me edit, i wanted to add the APF your right on , family is 1st and foremost...If your just starting out or in still new in the buisness by yourself, yes you need to advertise in the YP...i have to do the same thing...Im sure you will be able to rely on word of mouth advertising in the future like i hope to do...Main thing is just to believe in your work, offer better and more caring service then the next guy....which it sounds like you do...

Rick, good job on the drain line
                              The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Working...
                              X