X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.O. Smith flame rollout question

I looked at a A.O. Smith GVR 30 earlier for a friend. She said the pilot keeps going out. I get there, light the pilot, turn on the main gas, and notice the main burner flame is really dancing around. It will burn for a few minutes before shutting off. I assume the TCO is tripping from the flame rollout, as it will light back up again a few minutes later.

The flue is wide open. I pulled the baffle all the way out to check for restrictions and found nothing.

Theres adequate combustion air in the room, and the plastic grates at the bottom of the heater were clean.

I pulled the burner assembly out and checked for cracks in the burner, and manifold. Everything appeared to be in great shape.

The only thing I found that was out of spec was manifold gas pressure. The sticker on the gas valve stated 4.0 inches. I had 5.75 inches as checked with my Yellow Jacket gas pressure test kit.

Would this be enough to cause the main burner flame to dance around, or is there something else I am overlooking?

Thanks

Re: A.O. Smith flame rollout question

Where is the water heater located? How old is the house? Does she have a attic fan?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

It is a single story slab home. The furnace and water heater are located in a little area just off the hallway. An attic fan was definately not running when I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
        The only thing I found that was out of spec was manifold gas pressure. The sticker on the gas valve stated 4.0 inches. I had 5.75 inches as checked with my Yellow Jacket gas pressure test kit.

Would this be enough to cause the main burner flame to dance around, or is there something else I am overlooking?

Thanks
        Absolutely!
        5.75 is way too high for that water heater. You didn't post it but I'm sure you know what the incoming pressure was right?

If incoming was within specs for the heater then bad gas valve.

Comment

Thanks PC.

I didnt have the right fittings with me to check the incoming pressure. Its not possible for the gas meter to be frozen, and the furnace was running just fine, so I'm real sure incoming pressure will be about 7 inches. I'll check it though just to make sure.

At first it almost seemed like the dancing flame would be the opposite of what you would expect with high manifold pressure. But after I really thought about the direction the gas was traveling after it left the orifice, it kinda makes sense that it would shoot out further from the burner, and not straight up.

Comment

Working...
          X