Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Two handle tub/shower valves

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    Symmons, thats where I was going.
    Welcome to the forum, get to know the regulars, pay attention.
    What the others refer to as a "smitty" plate I call a "goof plate", Symmons makes one, an oval shaped chrome plate that has two screws similar to toggles that secure it to the wall and the plate is made to fit under the valves trim, it works with other valves, but you may need to cut some material from the center to conform around their trim.

Hey Duckbutter I live here in Mass. also and I know the term goof plate all too well. We either call it a goof plate or a dummy plate. I always feel uncomfortable going into the supply houses and asking for a dummy or goof plate. I did notice on the packaging on the new ones that are out now that they say Rough in plate.

Have you taken the tour of the symmons plant in Braintree? If so did you get the free valve?

Comment

Tyman, in my state 2, 3 or 4 handle diverters are regarded as dinosaurs, unless you're doing something retro-high end and it has anti-scald built in (not just pressure balancing). I think thats pretty much the rule of thumb anywhere though.
      My "One mans trash...another mans treasure" comment, was intended as a side note of sorts relative to THIS topic in choice of name/model valves.
      The comment: " Not sure where you are going with that post. .....
      So, back on topic, what model of two handle tub/shower faucet do install as replacements? ", gave me the impression I'd "invaded" your thread.
      Adam said it, much gets lost in translation in text without tones.
      I hope you don't assume all threads will remain exactly within tolerances set by title/topic ...we are actually allowed to wander. (and boy do we)
      What I fail to see is how you intend to get a multiple handle tub/shower faucet into the wall without using a plate if your not planning to have it retiled....unless you're going in from the opposite side. (or were you meaning to just replace stems?)
      If thats the case and this customer is that fussy, hell...roll out the stops and see what Grohe, Dornbracht, Jado, maybe even Rohl have in their catalogues.
      As for installing one without an anti-scald...I don't want the liability regardless what code allows.
      Picture the neighbor stopping by with her 3 yr old who wanders in and plays with the shiney knobs.

Comment

Originally posted by rmurf69 View Post
        Hey Duckbutter I live here in Mass. also and I know the term goof plate all too well. We either call it a goof plate or a dummy plate. I always feel uncomfortable going into the supply houses and asking for a dummy or goof plate. I did notice on the packaging on the new ones that are out now that they say Rough in plate.

Have you taken the tour of the symmons plant in Braintree? If so did you get the free valve?
        YEAH!!!
        Ya gotta stick around...I'm too outnumbered by these wacked left coasters (just kiddin' guys)...pleasure to have a fellow Mass guy here.
        And no, I have been yackin 'bout gettin over to Braintree for years but never gotten around to it...anything for a free valve bro.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
          I am not sure if they still make them, but Price Pfister used to have a two and a three handle pressure balancing vale. It was the 02 and the 04 series. The website is very difficult to find things on, but here are some links that should help.

https://pricepfister.custhelp.com/cg...i=&p_topview=1

https://pricepfister.custhelp.com/rn...14548_1971.jpg

http://www.pricepfister.com/website/...r/0X4-110A.jpg

https://pricepfister.custhelp.com/rn...14563_1986.jpg

The link for a parts explosion book for tub and shower valves. Look at pages 6, 7, 12, and 13.
          http://www.pricepfister.com/website/...&%20Shower.pdf

There is also a company called Danze that makes the valves. I like to stick to more well known names myself, but this is an option. Scroll down near the bottom of this page.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/danze-sheridan.html

A large home improvement chain in Canada called Canadian Tire exclusively sells Danze Taps and shower faucets. Unless you're getting a different line if Danze down south than we are here, I would stay away from these. It's more of a homeowner/slumlord oriented line.
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

I'm curious as to why the customer wants to stick with the two handle-system and what advantage there might be to it? My guess is that they just like the way it looks.

I can imagine thinking that if you replace it with same, you won't need to break open the wall and then have to repair it... but won't you have to do this anyway to replace the valve between the handles?

Can you carefully break it apart without destroying the tiles? I suppose then you could put the same tiles back in place so they match what's already there. I suppose there's value to that if you can't get replacements.

Just sort of thinking out loud here...

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel
              I can imagine thinking that if you replace it with same, you won't need to break open the wall and then have to repair it... but won't you have to do this anyway to replace the valve between the handles?
              It's not uncommon for tubs to have an access panel on the other side of the wall. If they don't have one, you can add one. It's far less expensive than ruining a tile job or trying to work with a one-piece fiberglas unit.

FMHA used to have a rule that there must be access from behind or beneath the tub, though it was seldom done in FMHA houses. I had one once and the plumber had forgotten to tighten the unions on the tub valve. They had to make a panel to get into the wall.

Not only is the panel a good access to the valve, it allows access to the drain parts as well.

Comment

Ah. The plumbing for the shower I'm building (which had a two handle system, incidentally) is on an exterior wall so there would have been no access from behind. It obviously makes sense to do it that way given the option!

And now I understand how one might do it without breaking up the tile. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X