Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Two handle tub/shower valves

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Two handle tub/shower valves

    Our rep informed us a while back that Delta was not going to make the two handle tub/shower faucets because they are not pressure balanced, or thermostatically controlled.

    What brand do you use for replacements for this? I have used the large escutcheon to transition to a single handle but some customers do not like the way it looks.

    I have put in two Sayco (Briggs) which I loathe. I had my first recall yesterday from one I installed two months ago for the valve unscrewing out of the body.

    I see American Standard makes a economical faucet. Which ones do you like to install and trust?
    Last edited by Tyman; 11-17-2007, 03:04 PM.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

  • #2
    Re: Two handle tub/shower valves

    Originally posted by Tyman
    Our rep informed us a while back that Delta was not going to make the two handle tub/shower faucets because they are not pressure balance, or thermostatically controlled.
    So what happened to Delta's Monitor II valve that is pressure balancing? Didn't it work?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Two handle tub/shower valves

      It's funny, depending on where you're from, one mans trash is anothers treasure.
      We use a local MFG called Symmons, they invented the pr. balancing cartridge that Delta, Moen(trol), and so many others now use.
      The irony here is that Delta isn't very popular compared to Symmons, apparently other parts of the country look at ya cross eyed if ya don't use Delta.
      Though Delta IS the most popular mainstream/affordable faucet here, just not the shower valves.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Two handle tub/shower valves

        Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
        It's funny, depending on where you're from, one mans trash is anothers treasure.
        We use a local MFG called Symmons, they invented the pr. balancing cartridge that Delta, Moen(trol), and so many others now use.
        The irony here is that Delta isn't very popular compared to Symmons, apparently other parts of the country look at ya cross eyed if ya don't use Delta.
        Though Delta IS the most popular mainstream/affordable faucet here, just not the shower valves.
        Not sure where you are going with that post. Sayco is a Briggs product not a Symmons. I won't be giving you any cross eyed look. I just installed a Symmons in my shower.

        So, back on topic, what model of two handle tub/shower faucet do install as replacements?
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Two handle tub/shower valves

          When I can't change over to a single Posi, I use the Moen two-handle, though I can't say I particularly like them. I've had customers who were used to seat-and-washer faucets just twist the stems off. Most of the valves I replace are single-handle, though.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Two handle tub/shower valves

            Thanks, I check into Moen. I didn't know if this was going to be a industry wide practice to stop making two handle tub/showers or not.
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Two handle tub/shower valves

              I use whats called a smitty plate, which I believe you refer to as the large escution.

              We are required by code, when doing change outs, the new valves have to be pressure balanced so dependant on the customers taste, I know Kohler makes some inexpensive, excellent shower valves.

              If kohler is to fancy, as it can be for some of the older folks, I recommend Symmons, Symmons is an excellent, low cost, solution, meets or exceeds most customers taste and I have never had a call back.

              A great thing about Symmons is that you can solder with the brass stem inside and it won't effect it like it will other shower valves.
              sigpic

              Robert

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Two handle tub/shower valves

                He was trying to not use the smitty plate.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Two handle tub/shower valves

                  Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  He was trying to not use the smitty plate.

                  I don't see any way around not using a smitty plate. The only way is to call out a tile guy to make a repair. My customers will either use the smitty plate, or call a tile guy, a good tile guy will make an excellent repair.
                  sigpic

                  Robert

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Two handle tub/shower valves

                    The last Moen I got was customer-supplied. Whatta piece of crap. It had brass male ports for the spout & head. They were very weak-looking and I'm not sure where Moen's going with this, except that they keep finding ways to cheapen their valves. Stick with the solid female brass. I was dealing with galvanized pipe in the wall, and had to use couplings, squeeze the riser out of the wall and rethread it, pain in the tukus.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Two handle tub/shower valves

                      Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                      It's funny, depending on where you're from, one mans trash is anothers treasure.
                      We use a local MFG called Symmons, they invented the pr. balancing cartridge that Delta, Moen(trol), and so many others now use.
                      The irony here is that Delta isn't very popular compared to Symmons, apparently other parts of the country look at ya cross eyed if ya don't use Delta.
                      Though Delta IS the most popular mainstream/affordable faucet here, just not the shower valves.
                      Duck,

                      Symmons is used extensively in commercial new construction faucets in California. I know, because this is not based on one company I have worked on, but on the architect's spects. on numerous buildings.
                      the dog

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Two handle tub/shower valves

                        Originally posted by Herk View Post
                        The last Moen I got was customer-supplied. Whatta piece of crap. It had brass male ports for the spout & head. They were very weak-looking and I'm not sure where Moen's going with this, except that they keep finding ways to cheapen their valves. Stick with the solid female brass. I was dealing with galvanized pipe in the wall, and had to use couplings, squeeze the riser out of the wall and rethread it, pain in the tukus.
                        BIG time.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Two handle tub/shower valves

                          Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                          Duck,

                          Symmons is used extensively in commercial new construction faucets in California. I know, because this is not based on one company I have worked on, but on the architect's spects. on numerous buildings.
                          Wow, the MFG is right here in my state, we have a strong affinity for them and the parts are VERY accessible, easily replaced "one size fits all" stem/seats are universal for their valves, unlike Delta, Kohler and most others.
                          I have been told by other guys in different states that they are hard to come by, or virtually unknown.
                          As for moen, they are very flimsy because they are all plastic inside and I don't like installing something a customer could feasibly yank apart, newer Delta's seem to be that way also.
                          On the flip side, I worked for a shop in an area where the water was rediculously corrosive to metal and moens strength turned out to be the plastic internal parts that don't react to highly corrosive mineral content.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Two handle tub/shower valves

                            Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                            Our rep informed us a while back that Delta was not going to make the two handle tub/shower faucets because they are not pressure balanced, or thermostatically controlled.

                            What brand do you use for replacements for this? I have used the large escutcheon to transition to a single handle but some customers do not like the way it looks.

                            I have put in two Sayco (Briggs) which I loathe. I had my first recall yesterday from one I installed two months ago for the valve unscrewing out of the body.

                            I see American Standard makes a economical faucet. Which ones do you like to install and trust?
                            I've used this valve a few times when replacing 2 or 3 handle valves.
                            http://www.pppinc.net/index.php?acti...did=1158700709
                            Brent

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Two handle tub/shower valves

                              Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                              Not sure where you are going with that post. Sayco is a Briggs product not a Symmons. I won't be giving you any cross eyed look. I just installed a Symmons in my shower.

                              So, back on topic, what model of two handle tub/shower faucet do install as replacements?
                              Symmons, thats where I was going.
                              Welcome to the forum, get to know the regulars, pay attention.
                              What the others refer to as a "smitty" plate I call a "goof plate", Symmons makes one, an oval shaped chrome plate that has two screws similar to toggles that secure it to the wall and the plate is made to fit under the valves trim, it works with other valves, but you may need to cut some material from the center to conform around their trim.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X