Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kohler Junk

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
    I think it's my area.....it's just not a popular brand. You're right about Grohe, difficult.

Are Kohler parts common in hardware stores, big box, supply houses in your area?

I think that would do the name justice greatly in my area if they would at least make it possible to obtain repair products. Hard water is to blame for I bet half of it.

I can either get kohler parts from my local fergusons or a specialty store called Rebacks Plumbing and Things, if anyone makes a part, they have it or can get it, no matter how old the faucet or fixture is.

Grohe on the other hand, hard as hell and if they need to order it, it takes 6 weeks, never good.

Alot of the problems many of us are talking about, go for alot of other fixture and faucet companies out there, kohler isn't the only one that has problems, every manufacturer does.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
      HeHe, plain as view, thanks Tracy, I was searching their site by part number and for some reason it wasn't working, maybe it was me doing something wrong, we'll I got the info I needed, thanks again
      No prob Rob . My cost was about $19 each. Yours should be cheaper because they only have to truck it to your supplier. They gotta cross the deep blue ocean to get to me.

I've found that sometimes using the "K" prefix for a search yields zero results. I did a search on "valvet" and got lucky.

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
      Kohler Parts are hard to find ?

Try Grohe parts I had a problem finding American Standard the other day, not a problem finding kohler, atleast yet.
      Kohler isn't a problem here also. I usually go online to research the part number before ordering it locally if they don't stock it.

I guess I'm lucky that we have a local supplier who only sells mainly repair parts and stocks quite a few.
      Such as the Price Pfister Flomatic Cartridge, or the American Standard "Colony series" stems & seats. A bunch of Repcal & Crane items too.

Our local Grohe Rep. is the Daughter of a Mom & Pops plumbing store. She knows all the popular part numbers and descriptions as well as stocking them.

Tracy

Comment

Same here, if it's a Kohler toilet or faucet it is usually two trips. Glad I'm not the only one who has issues with them. If they would standardize their parts it would be so much easier.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

True............but this is

A Kohler thread about product problems.

Don't even get me started on #($#(%&#%&(#$()#(%$ moen faucets.

Delta is cursed with their 3 tube torment.

Price Pfister, put it back in the box to save yourself the agony. Comes with 231 parts for 8"-16" widespreads?
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Re: True............but this is

Price Pfister, put it back in the box to save yourself the agony. Comes with 231 parts for 8"-16" widespreads?

Two trips?? I go, get what I need and come back and install it, never had to make two trips on a repair.

I have had to make two trips for price pfister ceramic stems, one was messed up inside the stem, and the other one was for a grohe cartridge.

Thank You Dunbar for bring to light the other manufacturers shortcomings.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

I was unable to edit my last post, it wouldn't go through, but good point Tyman, yes, kohler and many others should standardize their parts, like price pfister has done.

But then again, it would be a perfect life then, and we all know a perfect life, is a boring life.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

This is why we are Plumbers.

Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                  Same here, if it's a Kohler toilet or faucet it is usually two trips. Glad I'm not the only one who has issues with them. If they would standardize their parts it would be so much easier.
                  I hate making 2 trips.

This is the reason why I stock 2 or more of all the popular faucet & toilet parts.
                  • Kohler flappers, float & flush valves for one piece toilets. Toto flappers.
                  • Ceramic stems (most brands)
                  • pressure balance unit/cartridges for Am. Std., Delta, Moen, Kohler, Grohe.
                  • Toto & Eljer side mounted trip levers. Kohler Wellworth angled side lever.
                  • Kohler & Am. Std. pressure assisted tank cartridge by Sloan
                  It seems like a lot of money tied up in inventory but saving time on several extra unnecessary trips makes it all worth it.

Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by yasudaplumbing View Post
                    This is why we are Plumbers.

Tracy

Ahh tis true.

Have you reached burnout stage yet? That's where I'm at. Don't get me wrong......I still love my trade but I can't go any higher in what I'm doing and I'd like to do something more with the profession like be a teacher/instructor for the new breed of plumbers coming into the profession.

Maybe sell instructional packets to help test out for the master's/journeyman's license in my area. I believe product knowledge is crucial whether you're a new construction or service plumber and this isn't taught in a code book.....this is a see-it-as-you-go process.

I really think that a plumber's license should be a combination of both service and new construction. You should be able to set a pipe plumb and level without a level, you should be able to replace a faucet blindfolded. Isometric drawings of a 5 story buildings with acid waste system knowing size of vents and total DFU count, sizing your main drain correctly. Understanding that you can't clear a drain by accessing the cleanout on the bottom floor when only one fixture is affected by the incident. (You'd be surprised how many plumbers/drain cleaners will hit that main first and THEN head to the problem area. Maybe the onset charge?)
                    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-18-2007, 04:44 PM.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

If anybody has any luck with the Kohler website for looking up parts, I'd like to know the secret. I've hunted there for parts and it just says that it can't find anything. Doesn't seem to matter if I put in a part number or a model name.

When I repair a Delta or Peerless faucet, I have everything I need on the truck - one kit will repair either type of ball, and with the SS plates on the two-handle cartridges I can usually clean them up and replace seals and springs.

The only repair part I don't regularly carry is the Rite-Temp cartridge because there are so few of them here.

I get a lot of Price Pfister tub yokes, both regular and trailer house versions, and some of them are interchangeable. I carry stems, trim kits, seats, and repair kits for those.

American Standard is rare here. And why do they call themselves 'Standard' while nothing they have is standardized?

I'd really like to find a problem-free, long-lasting faucet that I felt comfortable recommending. I repair a lot of Moen faucets. The problem with their replacement cartridge program on their "lifetime" guaranteed faucets is that we become the free service force for Moen. If we stand behind our faucets, we have to work for free, though they supply the parts. Now, they want to supply to the consumer only and some of the supply houses are giving up the replacement program.

I still think the Moen Posi-Temp is the most dependable and easiest to repair pressure-balancing tub valves on the market.

Comment

Ahh tis true.

Have you reached burnout stage yet? That's where I'm at. Don't get me wrong......I still love my trade but I can't go any higher in what I'm doing and I'd like to do something more with the profession like be a teacher/instructor for the new breed of plumbers coming into the profession.

Maybe sell instructional packets to help test out for the master's/journeyman's license in my area. I believe product knowledge is crucial whether you're a new construction or service plumber and this isn't taught in a code book.....this is a see-it-as-you-go process.

I really think that a plumber's license should be a combination of both service and new construction. You should be able to set a pipe plumb and level without a level, you should be able to replace a faucet blindfolded. Isometric drawings of a 5 story buildings with acid waste system knowing size of vents and total DFU count, sizing your main drain correctly. Understanding that you can't clear a drain by accessing the cleanout on the bottom floor when only one fixture is affected by the incident. (You'd be surprised how many plumbers/drain cleaners will hit that main first and THEN head to the problem area. Maybe the onset charge?)
                        No, I'm not burned out yet.........but I am reaching the point where I start to think about what kind of non-labor Plumbing field I could do that would also pay well. I really think about it when my knees, elbows, wrists, etc. start to hurt ocasionally.

Maybe a TV show? Like "Ed the Plumber" on DIY network.
                        Or an instructional video on repairs and service work?

We already have an independent company selling classes on licensing for all the Contractor fields. They must have a lock on it with the State and the Unions. I took both of their classes, once in '91 for my Journeymans and back in 2005 for my Masters. It was definitely worth the $400 each time.

Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
                          If anybody has any luck with the Kohler website for looking up parts, I'd like to know the secret. I've hunted there for parts and it just says that it can't find anything. Doesn't seem to matter if I put in a part number or a model name.
                          I've had that problem too. It takes a lot of patience and clicking to find what you need. Sometimes I just Google the make & model name and use the info that pops up to search at Kohler.

Originally posted by Herk
                          I'd really like to find a problem-free, long-lasting faucet that I felt comfortable recommending. I repair a lot of Moen faucets. The problem with their replacement cartridge program on their "lifetime" guaranteed faucets is that we become the free service force for Moen. If we stand behind our faucets, we have to work for free, though they supply the parts. Now, they want to supply to the consumer only and some of the supply houses are giving up the replacement program.

I still think the Moen Posi-Temp is the most dependable and easiest to repair pressure-balancing tub valves on the market.
                          I usually recommend Delta or Kohler to my customers. To me, they are the most problem free with parts readily available, especially Delta, all you need in your truck for Delta is:
                          1. RP3614 repair kit for single handle faucets
                          2. RP1740 cartridge for 2 handle faucets
                          3. RP4993 seat & springs for 2 handle faucets
                          To me, no faucet will last long. After all, aren't all the seals made of rubber regardless of the brand? I tell my customers "you change your tires don't you?".
                          I've also seen ceramic stems go at 3 years.

If my customers want a long lasting faucet, I recommend a Grohe. Their cartridges usually last for 10 years or more here. I've never seen them fail in less time.

Tracy

Comment

It seems that the newer American Standard faucets, particularly the basin faucets with the solid brass bodies, hold up pretty well. I've not seen a failure yet, except from freezing. Ceramic cartridges don't freeze well. But again, they want the consumer to order the parts rather than supply them to stores or supply houses. The plumber is being taken out of the loop.

My Gerber kitchen pullout has been in for a long time and I've changed the standard pullout spout once or twice - about every three years. Some faucets do seem to last longer than others. But then, I've had customers with the same faucet and they seem to find ways to trash it quickly.

The problem with Delta/Peerless here is that we have very hard water and I've seen the seals quit in about two years. Usually, parts of the seal are impacted on the ball/stem and it can be cleaned or replaced. The Delta stainless seal cups work a lot better than the Valley with plain brass - those get eaten away and can't be repaired. I still run into older Deltas that are pre-stainless with the old style seals and springs.

I also fix a lot of Price Pfister kitchen and basin faucets and the washerless type stem works pretty well, but the newer ceramics have problems, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by yasudaplumbing View Post
                              I've had that problem too. It takes a lot of patience and clicking to find what you need. Sometimes I just Google the make & model name and use the info that pops up to search at Kohler.

I usually recommend Delta or Kohler to my customers. To me, they are the most problem free with parts readily available, especially Delta, all you need in your truck for Delta is:
                              1. RP3614 repair kit for single handle faucets
                              2. RP1740 cartridge for 2 handle faucets
                              3. RP4993 seat & springs for 2 handle faucets
                              To me, no faucet will last long. After all, aren't all the seals made of rubber regardless of the brand? I tell my customers "you change your tires don't you?".
                              I've also seen ceramic stems go at 3 years.

If my customers want a long lasting faucet, I recommend a Grohe. Their cartridges usually last for 10 years or more here. I've never seen them fail in less time.

Tracy

You are very correct about Delta, I carry all the delta parts, and it's only a few for repairs. for grohe, I had one 2 weeks ago, the cartridge was dripping, newly remodeled, only 2 years old, had to replace the cartridge. Not the first time this has happened.
                              Last edited by westcoastplumber; 11-18-2007, 07:17 PM.
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

100% agreed on the Delta faucet parts, not at all a fan of the shower valves, but I always suggest the faucets on install for the one reason talked about so much on this thread - future servicing.
                                I keep them on my truck too, along with my Symmons parts and the other basics.
                                When parts aren't readily available I immediately envision myself on hold with MFG's getting more and more annoyed as I hear "Press 2 for the service department", "Press 6 for the technical support and parts dept"...then after successfully getting through the labyrinth of voice prompts..."We value you as a customer, expected hold time is 15 hours", then you get to listen to an elaborate list of alphanumeric model numbers that "might" be the right part.

Oh and then there are the MFG's that require the customer to call in and have the parts under warranty shipped to their home...that really makes me look like a pro, thanks.
                                Hint, I might not be installing your fixtures in the future.
                                I'm not even gonna start with flappers, there was a thread on that a few months back...those dreaded words on the phone.."I can't see what the name is on the toilet", just bring a Korky and hope fer the best.

Comment

Working...
                                X