Kohler Junk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kohler Junk

Thanks to Kohler I had to replace 3 out of 6 tanks that were cracked around the tank to bowl port.Thank goodness there was no damage.You were right guys Kohler's not what they used to be.

Re: Kohler Junk

Hmmm, are you sure it wasn't installer error?? I have never had any problems with Kohler. Maybe a little to much coffee that day??

Which model was it??

As you all know, I am a huge fan of kohler products.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

I'm not on good terms with Kohler. I've got a tub valve that is being a real pain. I got parts for both balancing spool and cartridge, and the thing squeals like a stuck pig, won't shut off and I had to put the old cartridge back in. Still drips. Been in three years and has dripped enough to plug the drain with lime.

I've seen a lot of crap from Kohler over the years, such as the valvet stems I've got that all had broken plastic rings hanging unopened on the rack. They need to go beyond the high-school level for their engineers.

Who can forget the Kohler/Bradley stems and plastic faucet bodies?

I've had Kohler toilet bowls that were so out of shape that I couldn't get them to seal - something that should have been caught by an inspector. All in all, I'm sure I've had more problems with Kohler than with any other brand.

And I've got about $150 invested in parts for that tub valve so far - I could have bought two Moen Posi's for that much. I'm hoping to recoup on one of the cartridges if it turns out to be faulty and not a misshapen body. It's on a one-piece fiberglas tub and shower unit, and in the middle of a bedroom wall on the other side where an access panel would really be out of place. Now if I could just get the renter to let me back in to fix it . . . it would have been fixed already if the parts had worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
        ....... It's on a one-piece fiberglas tub and shower unit, and in the middle of a bedroom wall on the other side where an access panel would really be out of place. Now if I could just get the renter to let me back in to fix it . . . it would have been fixed already if the parts had worked.

I absolutely hate that, defective materials that make you look bad, you wind up working twice original estimated hours, to the point of mumbling in frustration and all the customer thinks is you did something wrong. period.
        I make a point of telling customers up front that I am NOT liable for defects when they purchase stock or fixtures.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
          Hmmm, are you sure it wasn't installer error?? I have never had any problems with Kohler. Maybe a little to much coffee that day??

Which model was it??

As you all know, I am a huge fan of kohler products.
          You know what Robert,That is a good point.I've never broken a tank(Watch my next one break) I wonder if the plumber broke it.Is that usually where they break when one over tightens.

I wasn't paying attention to the model.The supply house had it on their original invoice and ready to pick up when I got there.I'll get the model on monday.

I just find it to be too much of a coincidence after hearing the talk on the forum.

Comment

Robert, you should go to KOHLER, WI to go for a visit of the Kohler factory and their museum of old toilets, including the rainbow of colors they were once made in. It is a must-see for a true fan like yourself.

I went one summer, believe it or not it was years before I even met Rick.
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
              Robert, you should go to KOHLER, WI to go for a visit of the Kohler factory and their museum of old toilets, including the rainbow of colors they were once made in. It is a must-see for a true fan like yourself.

I went one summer, believe it or not it was years before I even met Rick.
              He will come back home with pink toilet

Comment

Whats funny is I have been using Kohler for many years, and I have never had any problems with fixtures, valves or faucets.

I admit kohler does have many parts and they do experiement to make their products better, but for the cost, kohler is excellent.

They have the quality and look of grohe, without the cost and expense to repair or install.

I have installed nothing but kohler toilets, I did three last week, no problems, clean installs.

Maybe kohler ships their better quality fixtures to california and
                new mexico
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

I've never really had any problems with Kohler toilets. Especially the 2 piece models. I like these toilets because they are of a 3 bolt design (Wellworth model) which makes them very rigid and stable.

I don't really care for the Kohler shower valves because they don't have a volume control. I also had a problem valve several years back that would not stop dripping after replacing the pressure balance unit & cap assembly.
                  The only thing I could think of was that the valve body was warped or something. I call the Kohler tech guy and he couldn't figure it out.

I prefer the Delta 1700 series shower valve with the volume control. The new numbers are R10000 UNWS (valve body w/ stops) and T17430 (Trim Kit). My Dad's house has these going on 10 years and I haven't had to replace the cartridge yet. (1500 series before the 1700 series came out).

Don't get me started on the Kohler valvets, When I buy the K-30002 or K-30004 valvets with the included plastic plungers, I always make sure to also buy the K-42299/K-42300 brass plungers. I always discard the plastic plungers. However, they do make an all in one kit K-30135-BC/K-30134-BC which contains the complete valvet assembly and the brass plunger.

I feel that Kohler makes the best quality American faucets. Good heavier brass with good chrome. Just don't buy the Lav faucets from Home Depot though. These come with the plastic pop-ups, not the metals ones.

Tracy

Comment

Hi Tracy,

I am trying to research your kohler numbers: kit K-30135-BC and K-30134-BC

The complete kits, I am having trouble, did these numbers come straight from kohler??

Thanks Tracy
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Kohler faucets, not toilets in my area are a two trip trick.

When I explain what it'll cost them to rebuild one, including my time on a manhunt to find only what maybe 1 or 2 supply houses have in a 150 mile radius have, they usually back down or head out to buy another brand faucet that can be easily worked on/parts available practically anywhere.

That's where Delta takes the helm in my area because people don't want a faucet that's nearly impossible to find the parts.

And the renegade DIY'rs that go to Kohler's website to buy the parts? Either get lost in the land of PDF's or somehow their part has been discontinued in that particular model.

Hopefully other areas have it better than my area because I can't tell you how many Kohler faucets I've removed that were less than 3 years old, the customer got sick and tired of calling 1-800 numbers and either getting the right parts that still ended up leaking or the wrong parts that just added to the frustration.

On the www front, anytime I get forum questions regarding kohler the OP has usually already went to Kohler's website and either got flustered trying to find parts or they get to the parts explosion and find out the part is no longer there for them to buy.

In a professional opinion,

Product owners/consumers of any particular brand are usually loyal to the product they buy, otherwise they wouldn't of bought it to begin with, whether it followed looks or the name, quality.

From my years dealing with countless products it almost seems like Kohler doesn't care about making money on the back end of business, meaning the serviceability of their own product. It's like they'd rather see you buy another than work on your old because we now have something better for you!

I get miffed when I have problems even with the brand new, OEM parts straight from Kohler. For the most part you cannot retrofit flappers on Kohler toilets.....they have to be the OEM's or they just won't work, even if it looks practically identical in style.

Good for Kohler, keeps them employed. I personally own a Kohler Cimmarron with the only complaint of lackluster bowl wash. Other than that I have no complaints with the majority of their toilets.

But as a forewarning to all my customers before I install their product (Kohler) I let them know that the ability to get parts in my area are non-existent on a small hardware, big box, majority of plumbing supply house spectrum in keeping parts for your faucet whether now or years from now.

I did work for a Kohler rep years ago installing a water softener and he tried to pawn off some discontinued faucets that he did on a reset at HD that wasn't purposely destroyed to keep from reentering the liability pool.

I told him that it would be bad enough to buy them with them NOT being discontinued, let alone buying them knowing that in a few short years, they won't supply the back end.

He agreed. Bring a "former" Kohler rep to this forum without an axe to grind and they'll readily stand up to admit that repair parts is not what Kohler is about..........at least in my area it isn't.

Kohler Bidet, What you don't know until years later <<< Click on PDF
                      Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-18-2007, 03:48 PM.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                        Hi Tracy,

I am trying to research your kohler numbers: kit K-30135-BC and K-30134-BC

The complete kits, I am having trouble, did these numbers come straight from kohler??

Thanks Tracy
                        Here is the link to the Kohler parts page:

http://www.kohlerserviceparts.kohler...ryid=&SortBy=0

Scroll down to the 6th row, look for only 30134 & 30135 Without BC. The website info is screwed up.
                        My Genuine Kohler blue & white plastic bag specifically says "30134/30135-BC" on it.

Tracy

Comment

HeHe, plain as view, thanks Tracy, I was searching their site by part number and for some reason it wasn't working, maybe it was me doing something wrong, we'll I got the info I needed, thanks again
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Kohler Parts are hard to find ?

Try Grohe parts I had a problem finding American Standard the other day, not a problem finding kohler, atleast yet.
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

I think it's my area.....it's just not a popular brand. You're right about Grohe, difficult.

Are Kohler parts common in hardware stores, big box, supply houses in your area?

I think that would do the name justice greatly in my area if they would at least make it possible to obtain repair products. Hard water is to blame for I bet half of it.

I can see where they would spend more money on target areas, like yours if the product preference is more the norm than the exception.
                              Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-18-2007, 03:57 PM.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X