X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gray water systems

Hi, I've been on the side listening for quite awhile and this is my first post. Reason being, my handle is being used here already...Plumber Rick (Taken) Question is, I'm looking for information on gray water systems. I live in a small mountain community and we have been in draught conditions for several years. Riverside county has not approved gray lines yet, but the local water district is meeting with them next month to try to get them approved. Thanks...Rick
    The Other Rick

Re: Gray water systems

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
    Hi, I've been on the side listening for quite awhile and this is my first post. Reason being, my handle is being used here already...Plumber Rick (Taken) Question is, I'm looking for information on gray water systems. I live in a small mountain community and we have been in draught conditions for several years. Riverside county has not approved gray lines yet, but the local water district is meeting with them next month to try to get them approved. Thanks...Rick
    You are a California plumber, so you should own a copy of the UPC. If you look in the appendix, it gives drawings and specs for grey water systems. The problem is local approval.
    the dog

Comment

Any water that has been used in the home, except water from toilets, is called grey water. Dish, shower, sink, and laundry water comprise 50-80% of residential "waste" water. This may be reused for other purposes, especially landscape irrigation.

Comment

What do you want to know Rick?

Comment

Thanks for your replies....Maybe I didn't phrase my question properly to begin with, which might explain why I got growled at. I'm gathering information for different systems that the water district will propose to the county at their meeting in December. At this time the county does not accept gray water and we have a water shortage here. The only system I have found so far is at www.bracsystem.com from canada but there should be other systems out there. I'm just trying to get them more info to convince the county to accept gray water to help out the community...thanks....Rick
          The Other Rick

Comment

many houses here have gray water cisterns. anywhere from a couple a hundred gallons to tens of thousands of gallons. it is used for landscapping water instead of wasting water from their fresh water cisterns.

we have a gray water system attached to the clothes washer. the water from each cycle goes directly to selected plants or watering zones. very useful if we don't have to a lot of laundry in a single day, or get a bunch of rain

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Sorry, I put the wrong website on it is www.bracsystems.com I,m looking for info on similar systems, this is the only one I have found so far. Something I can give the water district for their proposal to the county. Thanks....Rick
              The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
                Thanks for your replies....Maybe I didn't phrase my question properly to begin with, which might explain why I got growled at. I'm gathering information for different systems that the water district will propose to the county at their meeting in December. At this time the county does not accept gray water and we have a water shortage here. The only system I have found so far is at www.bracsystem.com from canada but there should be other systems out there. I'm just trying to get them more info to convince the county to accept gray water to help out the community...thanks....Rick
                Thanks for the information Rick.There is going to be a growing problem with water here in So Cal. and then there is the possibility of a partial system failure or major drought leaving our desert community high and dry.Remember New York no power no water.Imagine us with no water,people are CRAZY.

I'm glad to see you are working on it.Keep us posted.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  Thanks for the information Rick.There is going to be a growing problem with water here in So Cal. and then there is the possibility of a partial system failure or major drought leaving our desert community high and dry.Remember New York no power no water.Imagine us with no water,people are CRAZY.

Good luck

http://www.oasisdesign.net/greywater/references.htm

All about gray waters systems.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

That is very nice Robert,Thank-you.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

Good luck
                      "going to be a growing problem" an understatement....almost 7 years into a drought up here, all the water companys up here have been in a stage 2 alert for a couple of years and talking about stage three. Riverside county has been dragging its feet on the gray water issue and things aren't getting any better. I'm just looking for alternatives to propose to the county to help things out.....Rick
                      The Other Rick

Comment

So your area is the warning bell.

Hope it wakes everyone up.

People are such a thick headed creature

Comment

with any luck it could be a proving ground for such systems. Idyllwild water district is offering $100 rebates for homeowners changing over to 1.6 toilets, whereas the other water companys up here don't seem to care, and their the ones making the proposal to the county in Dec. So they seem to have a genuine concern for the water issues up here. Homeowners up here have been gray lining up here for years but not legally or effectively, just diverting water outside to the ground. The water district may offer them rebates for doing it the correct way. I'll know more about it next week after the meeting...Rick
                          The Other Rick

Comment

Working...
                          X