X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• highrise hanger question

working on a job to repair some 4" type L used for a heating riser (heat pumps) in a very tall building when the wall was cut open we found no support at the 90 so we cut holes into the next 4 floors above and didn't find any riser clamps

I'am aware that the code states max support every 7.5m or 2 storeys and at the base!

When I questioned the thought behind no clamps I was told that there were some kind of high rise jacks used to support this (but on which floor no one knows) The scary thing is that is looks like the whole building is done like this and it is starting to create stress cracks on the solder joints

Does anyone have any insight on the method for highrise

Re: highrise hanger question

Originally posted by silly View Post
    working on a job to repair some 4" type L used for a heating riser (heat pumps) in a very tall building when the wall was cut open we found no support at the 90 so we cut holes into the next 4 floors above and didn't find any riser clamps

I'am aware that the code states max support every 7.5m or 2 storeys and at the base!

When I questioned the thought behind no clamps I was told that there were some kind of high rise jacks used to support this (but on which floor no one knows) The scary thing is that is looks like the whole building is done like this and it is starting to create stress cracks on the solder joints

Have always seen riser clamps used, usually at least every other floor

Comment

I'm not trying to be too much of a smart a$$,well maybe.Our code book makes it very clear.I'll let you and/or co-worker look it up like I did so many years ago.Kindof lazy tonight

Comment

the code book is for domestic lines not hydronic lines as of right now there is no code for hydronic heating the only thing to fall back on is the manuf install specs

Comment

Where are the drawings? How old is the building? Some serious weight in 4"
          Where were the inspectors???
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Where are the drawings? How old is the building? Some serious weight in 4"
            Where were the inspectors???

the drawings are at the law office (go figure)
            the building is less then 3 yrs
            I'am sure the inspectors were there but we all now how that works

Comment

the code book is for domestic lines not hydronic lines as of right now there is no code for hydronic heating
              Section 3.4. of the 1995 NPC or ( Section 2.3.4 of the 2005 NPC) Support of piping. This applies to all piping whether it’s DWV, potable water systems or non-potable water systems (hydronics)

The following clauses apply to your situation.

Piping shall be provided with support that is capable of keeping the pipe in alignment and bearing the weight of the pipe and its contents.

Where a hanger or support for copper tube or brass or copper pipe is of a material other than brass or copper, it shall be suitably separated and electrically insulated from the pipe.

Vertical piping shall be support at its base and at the floor level of alternate storeys by rests, each of which can bear the weight of pipe that is between it and the rest above it.

The maximum spacing of vertical supports shall be 7.5M.

Nominally horizontal piping shall be braced to prevent swaying and buckling and to control the effects of thrust.

Nominally horizontal piping shall be supported as stated in table 2.3.4.5.

Alberta has a code for hydronic heating, CSA B214-01 Installation Code for Hydronic Heating Systems. The code is a starting point in the regulation of the industry.
              You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Maybe I'm kinda off base here, but are you saying that you were hired to alter a 4" heating pipe, then ripped open walls on each of four floors above looking for proper supports? This has to be a joke, your title says it all.

My original opinion is that it was a joke, still is. But when quality guys like dyrty respond, so do I.
                the dog

Comment

Working...
                X