X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: some of jobs picts

[quote=drtyhands;106803]
    Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    Why do you want me to buy you a union when the next heater is going to have the line reconfigured anyway(chances are)
    the same reason why he has a union at the circulating line to tank.

heaters are suppose to have a union type connection for all connections. this includes prv's.

the only time i don't install a union is when it's an outdoor install with just a 4' straight drop. no offsets or anything to keep me from unscrewing the drop.

i actually use a 3/4'' compression x mip adapter on the connection. this gives me the union connection without having to solder next to the prv or tank.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I Was not aware that it was required by our code.Thousands of heaters and I've never seen a union on the prv.Time to hit the book.
      My hat is of to you Rick.

I think I'm starting to rub a bald spot

Comment

[QUOTE=PLUMBER RICK;106874]
        Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

heaters are suppose to have a union type connection for all connections. this includes prv's.
        Is this IPC?
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I use Watt's N55's with sweat double unions for PRV's.

Why does the T&P require a union connection? In my area it should be solid and within 2" of the finished floor.

I use 3/4" DUF's on water heaters even though there are dielectric nipples sticking out of them.

I absolutely do not agree with any copper female adaptor to galvanized whether dielectric or not.

I've removed too many connections that leaked a considerable amount in that fashion.

That's not to say I've ever removed a dielectric union that wasn't completely clogged either......they suck and they are flow restricting.

Somebody quick! Make them in brass and get rich!
          Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-30-2007, 09:48 PM.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

[quote=PLUMBER RICK;106874]
            Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

the only time i don't install a union is when it's an outdoor install with just a 4' straight drop. no offsets or anything to keep me from unscrewing the drop.

i actually use a 3/4'' compression x mip adapter on the connection. this gives me the union connection without having to solder next to the prv or tank.

rick.

Ummmm, I want a code section please.....by what you are saying, even the outdoor 4' drops for the t&p on top of the unit would need a union also

I will only believe it when I see a code section....
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

hey,fireball

Can you edit the last post for me it looks like I posted it

Comment

I believe if you take a closer look at the code book it will reveal the water supply lines are required to have unions within 12" of the water heater. As the T&P drain line is not a water supply line it is not required to have a union.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Robert,

Nice!

It might be handy to have a line going from sink cabinet( water filter ) to the refrigerator. 3/8" polypropolyene or 1/2" wirsbo. Maybe refer is next to the sink cabinet??

wookie

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post
                    Robert,

Nice!

It might be handy to have a line going from sink cabinet( water filter ) to the refrigerator. 3/8" polypropolyene or 1/2" wirsbo. Maybe refer is next to the sink cabinet??

wookie

The refer is on the other side of the kitchen and it is a sub zero, without a water dispenser or ice maker, there will be a ice dispenser in the bar fridge which will be in the island.

those lines are for the filter, faucet and the dishwasher
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

[quote=westcoastplumber;106898]

Ummmm, I want a code section please.....by what you are saying, even the outdoor 4' drops for the t&p on top of the unit would need a union also

I will only believe it when I see a code section....
                      I have never seen this in the UPC either.
                      The only thing I know of is, that the end of the pipe cannot be threaded and must be reamed to the full bore, secondly, the pipe cannot terminate more than 6" above the floor/ground.
                      __________________________________________________ _______________

You guys are confusing me by using "PRV". I guess it must be a mainland thing.

I'm used to:
                      • T&P for Temperature & Pressure Relief Valve
                      • PRV for Pressure Reducing Valve (or Regulator)
                      Doesn't blueprints reflect this Acronym info as well?

Tracy

Comment

Hey Robert,

I understand the copper you have plumbed up for the H/C, dishwasher and filter. I was refering the the refer ice/water line which there is no need for but how about the ice maker in the island? I realize this is a raised foundation and the line can be run after the fact. When installing a reverse osmosis system its always a bummer when I can't get a line to the icemaker from the sink area. Slab on grade is usually where this occurs.I just think its easier and cleaner to run the line ahead of time thats all! Looks like we're going to have a dry Saturday!!...... unless those sharkbites start leaking

wookie

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          I believe if you take a closer look at the code book it will reveal the water supply lines are required to have unions within 12" of the water heater. As the T&P drain line is not a water supply line it is not required to have a union.

Mark
                          609.5 "unions shall be installed in the water supply piping within 12'' of regulating equipment, water heating, conditioning tanks, and similar equipment that may require service by removal or replacement in a manner that will facilitate it's ready removal."

this is the best i can find.

the city of santa monica inspector required this. he not only enforced the code, he taught it at our u.a. apprenticeship school 30 years ago.

it's up to interpretation and i've done it on all installations that are not a straight drop piece.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

609.5 "unions shall be installed in the water supply piping within 12'' of regulating equipment, water heating, conditioning tanks, and similar equipment that may require service by removal or replacement in a manner that will facilitate it's ready removal."

this is the best i can find.

the city of santa monica inspector required this. he not only enforced the code, he taught it at our u.a. apprenticeship school 30 years ago.

it's up to interpretation and i've done it on all installations that are not a straight drop piece.

rick.
                            You found the right section but the only water supply lines on the water heater are the hot and the cold water lines. Santa Monica may have an amendment which requires a union on the T&P drain line but I doubt they interpret the drain line to be a water supply line.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

so if the hot and cold can be disconnected without cutting the piping. then the only thing that needs to be reworked is the relief valve. doesn't really make sense.

609.5 "unions shall be installed in the water supplypiping within 12'' of regulating equipment, water heating, conditioning tanks, and similar equipment that may require service by removal or replacement in a manner that will facilitate it's ready removal."

if the relief valve needs replacement, then you would need to cut piping to remove and reconnect. a union would allow for "ready removal"

a compression fitting or a shark bite fitting is a great choice as both are considered a union and are much less costly than a typical cxc union or
                              mip x c union. and they don't require soldering

the water, hot and cold, possible circulating line, gas line all have a form of a union. the only thing keeping the heater from being removed without cutting would be the relief valve.

still up to interpretation.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

so if the hot and cold can be disconnected without cutting the piping. then the only thing that needs to be reworked is the relief valve. doesn't really make sense.

609.5 "unions shall be installed in the water supplypiping within 12'' of regulating equipment, water heating, conditioning tanks, and similar equipment that may require service by removal or replacement in a manner that will facilitate it's ready removal."

if the relief valve needs replacement, then you would need to cut piping to remove and reconnect. a union would allow for "ready removal"

a compression fitting or a shark bite fitting is a great choice as both are considered a union and are much less costly than a typical cxc union or
                                mip x c union. and they don't require soldering

the water, hot and cold, possible circulating line, gas line all have a form of a union. the only thing keeping the heater from being removed without cutting would be the relief valve.

still up to interpretation.

rick.
                                Good point Rick. I see what you are trying to say.

Tracy

Comment

Working...
                                X