Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing toilet

Hi, can anyone help,

We are knocking through an old coal shed and outside toilet thats attatched to our house to make our kitchen bigger, I need to know how to make the drains/pipes safe after we remove the toilet as we wish to put floor tiles over the site it will be removed from.

Re: removing toilet

Depends on the type of material you have.

If you have cast iron, cut it on the closet bend, right from where the toilet goes from verticle horizontal, put on a cast iron end cap and a no hub.

If you have ABS or PVC pipe, cut it in the same place, or on the pipe itself and solvent weld a cap on.

Pictures would be great if you can take one. Really depends on the material and the set up of the waste .
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Thanks, Im not sure what material it is, Ill have to find out, I just know its really old as they dont build outside toilets in england anymore,

Thanks for the advice

Comment

If it's over a hundred years old might be clay pipe. Sort of an ocher in colour and about 2 cm. thickness? Just stuff tightly wound up newpapers in the drain. Break the clay off just below floor level and pour a couple inches if hydraulic cement flush with floor.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          If it's over a hundred years old might be clay pipe. Sort of an ocher in colour and about 2 cm. thickness? Just stuff tightly wound up newpapers in the drain. Break the clay off just below floor level and pour a couple inches if hydraulic cement flush with floor.

I am not sure how they do it there, but here, we are not allowed to use clay pipe within the footings due to the sewer leaching, it must be cast iron or ABS, or another approved material that will not leach sewage into the soil.

The hydraulic cement is a good idea, I would just be scared with the paper stuffed in over time, but I am a bit of an over kill type person.

If you snap a few pics, I am sure we can identify the material used.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            The hydraulic cement is a good idea, I would just be scared with the paper stuffed in over time, but I am a bit of an over kill type person.
            Me too, I would not use paper because it will cause a plug over time when it gets wet and goes down the line
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Thanks, We are taking toilet out soon I will post some pictures on then,

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                but I am a bit of an over kill type person.
                You?...No way!

Comment

Working...
                X