Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pro Plumbing Discussion

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12177

Nobody get mad at Josh or Dog about this matter, as far as I know I started this whole discussion. My intent is to create a place where we can talk about things like pricing, business methods, etc. We wouldn't talk about this in front of customers so why talk openly about it on the forum?

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14159

Res057 suggested much the same thing at a later date and the overall response was good. Maybe he said what I was thinking in a better way, who knows, for whatever reason there was a better reception towards his thread which is great. I tried to create a poll to find the interest and couldn't figure it out so Dog helped me by creating a new one.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

When I started the thread mentioned above, it was never my intent to make it a "pro only". The world doesn't need to know what your mark up is or how much you make a year. The ONLY way to keep something secret is to not tell ANYBODY, anywhere, any time.
      It's intent was more along the lines of;
      "What accounting software do you use, or do you use a CPA?"
      "I have an employee with chronic "back problems" that I know are bogus. Have any of you had to deal with this? What was your solution and how'd it turn out?"
      "What kind of advertising do you do? What gives you the best response?"
      "Do you use a payroll company or do you write your own checks?"

Basically the business end of the business. The stuff most people don't want to do, but have to to keep the lights turned on.
      I hope I clarified that a little. Sorry if anyone was mislead as to the intent.

Jack
      Jack

Comment

Originally posted by res057 View Post
        "What kind of advertising do you do? What gives you the best response?"
        Pfft! I'm not even a plumber and I know the answer to this one!

Don't advertise. Any plumber worth his salt will get enough word of mouth referrals to earn a healthy living. If you advertise in the yellow pages, you're an amateur hack who will charge double what you should and probably do more damage than you fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post

Don't advertise. Any plumber worth his salt will get enough word of mouth referrals to earn a healthy living. If you advertise in the yellow pages, you're an amateur hack who will charge double what you should and probably do more damage than you fix.

here we go again lol, this is almost as much fun as flat rate vs t&m....... almost
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Rick and others make a good point about helping customers with simple less dangerous tasks.
            Thats fine, I do it with regulars when it's a job thats too small to justify charging for my time.
            What drives me insane are things like landlords attempting to sneak info from us to save money, the ole stubborn husband that defies his wife and decides to save money by installing his own boiler.
            Last year I did a boiler job, the wife came down mid-day and asked if I could give her my word not to repeat something if she showed it to me.
            On the top floor of the house, her husband had taken it upon himself to demo/remodel two back to back bathrooms.
            Joists and studs were severely scorched, no long sweeps on drainage, The depths on shower valves were too shallow, oversized holes were drilled in the joists...the list goes on.
            She confided that he was obsessed with saving money, to the extent that he'd come home for the last six months just to go right back to work on the bathrooms...she had one foot out the door at that point.
            The guy made a good living, high income.
            She told me that he had been getting his "how to" from both Home Depot & the internet.
            It had taken her an act of congress to convince him to hire out for the boiler.
            Last edited by DuckButter; 12-04-2007, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Weasel, how do the new guys start getting word of mouth if they never get an initial job. The way I view it the first 5-10 years guys new to the trade need to do some advertising. After they have done enough jobs for enough people word of mouth starts kicking in if they built a good name for themselves.

Josh

Comment

heh. If you replace "back to back bathrooms" with "ensuite shower" that could be my wife you're talking about...

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                  Weasel, how do the new guys start getting word of mouth if they never get an initial job. The way I view it the first 5-10 years guys new to the trade need to do some advertising. After they have done enough jobs for enough people word of mouth starts kicking in if they built a good name for themselves.

Josh
                  Come now, Josh! Did that joke go right by you?

Comment

Yes.. yes it did. I should have thought more about who the comment was coming from

Come now, Josh! Did that joke go right by you?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                      Ok dog... sorry to respond to your post and try to help out. I never said the forum is secure. If I were to ever build a "secure forum" I would need to know the information I asked you before ("how do you envision the pro plumbing forum to be secured? I want to keep this as easy as possible for people to figure out. ") Whats to keep joe home owner from gaining access to the pro section? I wanted to state that I would try to keep the Pro Plumbing Forum clean from some of the home owner posts as a simple first step. So somehow along the way I have turned into a NAZI

Once again sorry for responding to your thread.

Josh
                      Josh,

A clarification: I was not accusing you of being a NAZI, I was accusing you of accusing me of being a forum NAZI (ie. wanting a secured forum).

As an American of German decent I should not have used that word lightly. It's a terrible philosophy that I obviously reject.

Not an excuse, but I'm suffering from major tendinitises in my shoulder and the flu. I haven't had a full night of sleep in a week. I'm a little touchy.

Sorry for any ill feelings.
                      the dog

Comment

Dog, sorry you don't feel well. Need anything? Homemade soup? Gatorade? Toilet paper?
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                          Josh,

A clarification: I was not accusing you of being a NAZI, I was accusing you of accusing me of being a forum NAZI (ie. wanting a secured forum).

As an American of German decent I should not have used that word lightly. It's a terrible philosophy that I obviously reject.

Not an excuse, but I'm suffering from major tendinitises in my shoulder and the flu. I haven't had a full night of sleep in a week. I'm a little touchy.

Joe homeowner here, or should I say Frank? Know I don't belong here, but just wanted to see if there were anymore negative comments towards us common folk being helped by the Pros? I'll say this much for the "Dog", if he's a big enough man to apologize he ain't all bad. I'll stay off this section but in leaving, I hope you get better, man to man all the other stuff aside.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                            Dog, sorry you don't feel well. Need anything? Homemade soup? Gatorade? Toilet paper?
                            You mean to say Rick already installed your Toto Washlet? LOL

Tracy

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Dog. I'm still glad your around as always.

I'm sorry you're not feeling well.

Josh,

Comment

As an American of German decent .....
                                AHA!
                                That explains everything.
                                In my early 20's I did 3 years under a German machinist right from the old country, there was no good or bad, only perfect and not perfect.
                                He owned the shop, we made mostly high tolerance military parts.
                                He was a major pain in the keyster when it was time to work.
                                When it was time to play it was 3 weeks paid vaca every year, several paid trips to the ball game each year, and the 2 annual company parties.
                                I never in my life have worked for anyone that took such painstaking pride in their work.

Comment

Working...
                                X