X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Plumbing Discussion

What happened to the: Pro Plumbing Discussion Forum?
    the dog

Re: Pro Plumbing Discussion

What do you mean Dog, isn't your Q 9this thread) posted in the Pro Plumbing Discussion forum? Was/Is there something else in the works?
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Plumbdog... how do you envision the pro plumbing forum to be secured? I want to keep this as easy as possible for people to figure out. Right now I would say the vast majority of topics are pro plumbing in this forum. There are a few home owners every once in a while though.

If you can think of something that wouldn't exclude actual pro plumbers than I may try something for ya.

Josh

Comment

The weird thing is that you guys will respond to joe home owner, the one that doesn't want to hire you. You will lead his butt through any plumbing problem for free, because your ego tells you to respond. "Look at me, I have the answer". It's unbelievable to me.

I don't work on that side of the industry, but I know a sheep when I see it. Get rid of your egos and preserve you trade. I don't respond to thos posts anymore, but when I did I used to ask the poster: "What expert advice do you give on the internet?" Not one poster ever indicated they gave free expert advice.
        the dog

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          What do you mean Dog, isn't your Q 9this thread) posted in the Pro Plumbing Discussion forum? Was/Is there something else in the works?
          Bob,

I don't understand you post, please dumb it down.
          the dog

Comment

Dog... theres always going to be someone that responds. What I may start doing is start moving homeowner posts out of this forum into the "Ask the plumbing experts" Would this help to at least keep this forum clear for serious plumbing discussion?

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
            The weird thing is that you guys will respond to joe home owner, the one that doesn't want to hire you. You will lead his butt through any plumbing problem for free, because your ego tells you to respond. "Look at me, I have the answer". It's unbelievable to me.

I don't work on that side of the industry, but I know a sheep when I see it. Get rid of your egos and preserve you trade. I don't respond to thos posts anymore, but when I did I used to ask the poster: "What expert advice do you give on the internet?" Not one poster ever indicated they gave free expert advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
              Plumbdog... how do you envision the pro plumbing forum to be secured? I want to keep this as easy as possible for people to figure out. Right now I would say the vast majority of topics are pro plumbing in this forum. There are a few home owners every once in a while though.

If you can think of something that wouldn't exclude actual pro plumbers than I may try something for ya.

Josh
              No I don't view this forum as secure, I voted against it. I also lobbied against removing members. So don't put some NAZI trip on me.

My post was directed towards plumbers who can choose to respond or not respond to any post.
              the dog

Comment

Sorry to be curt, but dog you really aren't one to be attacking other peoples egos.
                West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Dog,I can assure you Josh has your interests,as well as others,in mind when contemplating what to do with getting something together that may provide some privacy without alienating cherished members who are obviously qualified to join us yet have not the pedigree to do so.

I understand wholeheartedly your concerns.Over on another board I posted a thread that may seem unorthodox as far as this board is concerned and I am wondering if it will fly as it stands.There are issues that are on the edge of being too much info for an open forum where things are kept on the lighter side.I was testing the water.

I feel this is one heck of a coincidence,or you already know this and are looking out for the interests of others by bringing this to our attention.

I don't understand your gnarly NAZI statement.I hope it can be past off as a bad state of current affairs.I have some pretty heavy respect for you because I work with so many of the same variables in the industry,but I have felt this bond strained,nothing broke.May I also say I don't think my current tensil strength could handle much more than that.

Adam
                  Last edited by drtyhands; 12-03-2007, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Dog,

My next venture after I retire:

Dial-a-Plumber.

Call me at 1-900-Fix-Leak at $2.99 a minute I'll give you all the Pro advice.

Tracy
                    sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

LOL, Dog, you'll always be you.
                      I don't respond to the frequent requests for info, here's why...
                      I got a call last week for a leaky shower valve, over 30 years old and I had to call the MFG to narrow down the model, then call suppliers to find the parts..all of 45 minutes later I get the info I need.
                      I call the home owner back and he starts asking me what model it is, where I get the parts, and how I get them in.
                      I ask him bluntly when he wants me to do the repair, he then beats around the question by asking what model it is.
                      I ask him if he really wants a plumber, he then comes clean and says he already has the parts for a more recent model and wanted to know if he had the right one.
                      I deal directly with frugal homeowners constantly, and as we all know, plumbers are overpaid so it's not unethical to try to glean all the free info you can.
                      On the other side of the spectrum, there are those who are less fortunate and can't afford a plumber.
                      I won't judge anyone elses way of doing things, I personally don't respond.
                      Last edited by DuckButter; 12-03-2007, 02:50 AM.

Comment

i am simple for the most part, if a fawcet is leaking i replace it, now it a shower devierter is leaking i tend to call a plumber, at one time i would have replaced one but now there is so much plastice in most of the i am not sure of my sodering enough to atemp putting one in with out causing damage.

i do not repair plumbing fixures i just replace them when they go bad, i have found in the long run it is just cheaper to do this versus repairing something 2,3,4 or more times. i understand that sometimes the samething can have different problems like a 3 stem deverter, 1 stem can go bad you call the plumber out to fixit then a few days later another stem goes bad, by the end of the second call it would have cost the same or less to have put new in. i hope that is understandable since it is 4:00am and my eyes are not quite awake yet.
                        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

FWIW, I give out advice on the Internet all the time. Much of it has to do with cars. Heck, I got sick of answering the same questions over and over so I even went about setting up a website with lots of info on it. http://www.wildweasel.ca/j-body/HowTo/ For much of what's there, I consider myself an expert and save people lots of money.

So yes... I'm one of those homeowners you're talking about, but I try to give as well as I get.

Comment

Ok dog... sorry to respond to your post and try to help out. I never said the forum is secure. If I were to ever build a "secure forum" I would need to know the information I asked you before ("how do you envision the pro plumbing forum to be secured? I want to keep this as easy as possible for people to figure out. ") Whats to keep joe home owner from gaining access to the pro section? I wanted to state that I would try to keep the Pro Plumbing Forum clean from some of the home owner posts as a simple first step. So somehow along the way I have turned into a NAZI

Once again sorry for responding to your thread.

Josh

No I don't view this forum as secure, I voted against it. I also lobbied against removing members. So don't put some NAZI trip on me.

My post was directed towards plumbers who can choose to respond or not respond to any post.

Comment

To the newer guys what you may be missing is the idea of this forum was for pros to talk to each other about the trade. There is another forum where DIY and others can ask their questions. Perhaps the problem is where the two are located on the board. It is not unusual for new people to post in the top forum on a new site.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X