Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: International Plumbing Code

Originally posted by Plumberscrack
    IPC allows garbage disposals to discharge into grease interceptors (this seems stupid but what do I know?)
    No air admittance valves allowed in UPC...too bad for you guys
    I don't think disposals should discharge into grease traps, either. But then, there's often a lot of grease in scraped-off plates . . .

I actually use an air admittance valve occasionally. Adding a washing machine on a back porch with no attic to speak of and shingles that are so brittle that they'll break if you look at them discourages vents through the roof. I've always bristled that the string of mobile homes they brought in across the street from me can legally use them and I can't. Either they work or they don't.

This is a small community, and if the sewer gas was particularly dangerous, half of them would be dead already.

Comment

Some jurisdictions under the UPC allow AAVs

Comment

Seems like The UPC has kept our family safe for a lot of years,why should we dillute it???
        Is this political?
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The adoption of the IPC in the state of New Hampshire is single handedly responsible for the further dumbing down of the profession and just another way to make it easier for the home owners and hacks to do their own thing. Really now Aav's? savage at best. How about wet venting with 1 1/2"? or better yet 1 1/2 under a slab. What a load of crap. Yes lets all put disposal waste into the grease trap, that works just super, unless you're the one with his arm up to the elbows in the muck cleaning it out. For that matter, lets just hook up the whole damned house with radiator hose cause its fast and flexible. Who cared what it looks like.
          However just because you can, does'nt mean you should.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            The adoption of the IPC in the state of New Hampshire is single handedly responsible for the further dumbing down of the profession and just another way to make it easier for the home owners and hacks to do their own thing. Really now Aav's? savage at best. How about wet venting with 1 1/2"? or better yet 1 1/2 under a slab. What a load of crap. Yes lets all put disposal waste into the grease trap, that works just super, unless you're the one with his arm up to the elbows in the muck cleaning it out. For that matter, lets just hook up the whole damned house with radiator hose cause its fast and flexible. Who cared what it looks like.
            However just because you can, does'nt mean you should.
            ROFLMAO, I hear ya. The biggest problem is we have nobody coming up behind us. How many guys in your I and II classes ? Twenty some odd years ago there were hundreds of apprentices , now what do we have. The other problem is the donkeys who weasel their way in on the code review board and squash needed amendments because it could hurt their bottom line( that problem come from your neck of the wood, Portsmouth)

Comment

I have 7 in the year two apprentice class. Plumbing I has 8, Plumbing III has 12 and IV 8

You are correct about the weasles. We are letting our trade be driven by marketers asales people. The OH well attitude is going to kill us all
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                I have 7 in the year two apprentice class. Plumbing I has 8, Plumbing III has 12 and IV 8
                That's all the apprentices you have?. Year 1 had to be held in a gymnasium, year 2 had more people than desks. By year 4 down to around 40. Does anyone see a problem here? Might have benefited with a smaller class though.

Although I disagree about your statement that AAV's are quote: "savage at best" I am onboard about the code changes becoming too lax. I tie my vents back in wherever possible but if I'm bidding on a new bath and I tell the customer I have to open up the walls upstairs to tie it back in or just add a AAV under the lavy. The choice is always the lavy.

Comment

AAv's have their uses, remodel work is a prime example. So is venting an island sink. Unfortunatly I have seen far too many installed just because the plumber was too damned lazy to run the proper vent pipe on new construction
                  sigpic

Comment

When I did new construction I would upsize the kitchen sink drain to 2" to achieve the longer arm to 5' which would work out on most open area sinks close to the wall, within reason.

Ones sitting in the middle of the kitchen though required the loop vent, 2" drain with the vent returning to the drain right under the floor, 3 access points to clear the drain in the event of a clog. Garbage disposals should be banned on island sink installs.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Dunbar,why do you not like to have gerbage disposals on your loop vents?I've installed many over the years and still have contact with some of the homeowners and have heard nothing yet.

Comment

The loop vent was and is the best anyone could come up as a solution at the time. Main drawback is that the vent can become plugged (and a disposal will only speed the process) and most likely no one will ever clean it out. Here's one place where I actually prefer an aav, no so much because its easier and faster to install, but in my opinion is far less likely to fail.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                          When I did new construction I would upsize the kitchen sink drain to 2" to achieve the longer arm to 5' which would work out on most open area sinks close to the wall, within reason.

Ones sitting in the middle of the kitchen though required the loop vent, 2" drain with the vent returning to the drain right under the floor, 3 access points to clear the drain in the event of a clog. Garbage disposals should be banned on island sink installs.
                          Running a 2" arm on an outside wall is fine when working with 6" studs. Most of our framing is 2x4's and sinks are centered under windows. No way can we drill through these.

Island sinks are crowded enough with pullout sprayers, water filters and insta-hots and garbage disposals now you want to add loop vents with 3 cleanouts? You'de never be able to reach them.

Comment

Our UBC won't let us drill 2 9/16 2X6 king stud on a bearing wall.We have to loop vent when they have 2 dishwashers or trash compactor on either side of sink.
                            Last edited by drtyhands; 12-15-2007, 10:18 PM.

Comment

I just thought of another difference between the two codes which is worth noting. This week I renewed my Inspector Certificates for both IAPMO and the ICC. With my IAPMO certificates I was required to pass a test and pay a fee. With the ICC certificates I was required to show 1.5 CEU per classification and pay a fee. The CEU are not required to be related to the trade you are renewing.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark,
                                Whatsa CEU?

Comment

Working...
                                X