• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: International Plumbing Code

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    Mark,
    Whatsa CEU?
    CEU = Continuing Education Units

Basically it means you have attended classes or seminars.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      CEU = Continuing Education Units

Basically it means you have attended classes or seminars.

Mark
      DOH! and all this time I thought it stood for Canadian Electrical Units, their equivalent of a volt
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It looks like the UPC will be including language under a new 2006 UPC amendment which is very similar to the IPC as it relates to "Bathroom Groups".

The IAPMO Standards Council has handed down a decision on a Tentative Interim Amendment (TIA) to the 2006 Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC).
        The council issued TIA UPC-021-06 to better clarify a method of horizontal wet venting installation and more clearly define what constitutes a bathroom group.
        In the TIA, a bathroom group is now categorized as “A group of fixtures consisting of a water closet, one or two lavatories, and either a bathtub, a combination bath/shower, or a shower and may include a bidet and emergency floor drain.”
        This section about wet venting installation was amended to specifically define the fixtures permitted to discharge into this type of configuration, such as “Water closets, bathtubs, showers and floor drains.”
        “Unless the code language is clearly written and precise, it’s very difficult for inspectors in the field to enforce it,” said Lynne Simnick, IAPMO director of Code Development. “The changes made have answered those concerns.”
        This is the third TIA approved for the 2006 UPC. TIA UPC-012-06 was approved on Feb. 7, 2006, and TIA UPC-016-06 on Aug. 28, 2006.
        To examine TIA UPC-021-06 in its entirety, please direct your Web browser to
        www.iapmo.org/Pages/TIADecisions.aspx

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'm glad you brought this up Mark

The IPC says: Any combination of fixtures within two bathroom groups are permited to be vented by a wet vent. This would allow up to 10 fixtures vented off one wet vent. A wet vent system may serve 2 water closets, 2 lavies, 2 bidets, 2 emerg. floor drains, 2 bathtubs or showers or any combination of these fixtures types and quantities.

So my question is: Why was my rough in inspection turned down because I wet vented 1 toilet 2 lavies 1 bathtub 1 shower? All of these fixtures were in one bath.
          Last edited by plumberscrack; 12-20-2007, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Probably because the inspector had'nt read or understood the provisions of the code. Ain't it wonderfool that you can vent 10 fixtures with a single 2" vent. In fact if you read on, you can now under the IPC wet vent with 1 1/2, and to top it all off IN ANY ORDER. Plumbing for idiots and home owners. Hell you can put 1 1/2 under the slab and you only need a single vent, 1/2 the size of the building drain through the roof. Everything else can have an AAV stuck on top of it. Sheer madness I say, Bring back BOCA.
            sigpic

Comment

that rant out of the way. What were your trap to vent distances?. He may have failed you on that.
              sigpic

Comment

Distances were fine. He said code didn't allow a soaking tub and a separate shower in the same bathroom to be on the same wet vent. Because the tub and shower do not meet the definition of a bathroom group. It's either or.

Cocky bastard may have been right

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  To examine TIA UPC-021-06 in its entirety, please direct your Web browser to
                  www.iapmo.org/Pages/TIADecisions.aspx

Mark
                  Assuming a "DFU" is somewhat the equivalence to a Fixture unit in my code, I say wow...3" wet vents for a bath group (4 DFU +).
                  I like it, the builder might not, but I do.

Comment

technically he's right, but splitting hairs. When the code allows this kind of wet venting who gives a S@#t if it's a shower or a tub.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      Distances were fine. He said code didn't allow a soaking tub and a separate shower in the same bathroom to be on the same wet vent. Because the tub and shower do not meet the definition of a bathroom group. It's either or.

Cocky bastard may have been right
                      Crack,

Utah is referring to changes in the UPC which are similar to IPC requirements. You need to be familiar with IPC requirements, and the amendments added by your local jurisdiction.
                      the dog

Comment

NSPC seems consistent with the others on the definition of a bathroom group:

Bathroom Group:A group of fixtures in a dwelling unit bathroom consisting of one water closet, one or two lavatories, and either one bathtub, one combination bath/shower or one shower stall. Other fixtures within the bathing facility shall be counted separately when determining the water supply and drainage fixture unit loads.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X