X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Plumbing Code

I have been studying the international code since I was hearing that the whole country was going to adapt it. I heard there was going to be a national license "Like the Truck Drivers Have" has anyone heard any more about that ?
    Life is Good, OleTom
    http://ConstructionWorkers.US

Re: International Plumbing Code

And the inspectors will come in black Helos.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

IAPMO was suppose to merge with the ICC which would have eliminated the Uniform Plumbing and Mechanical Codes. They never quite pulled it off so now in California, Arizona and Nevada we use the International Building and Residential Code for a building code but we use the Uniform Plumbing and Mechanical Codes for plumbing and Mechanical. Utah on the other hand adopted the International Codes for Plumbing and Mechanical and got rid of the UPC and UMC.

So far what do you think of the IPC?

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        So far what do you think of the IPC?

Mark
        The IPC assigns 5 DFU's to a bathroom group. I've read that the UPC is less? This will change stack sizing...right?

What is the CPC?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          The IPC assigns 5 DFU's to a bathroom group. I've read that the UPC is less? This will change stack sizing...right?

What is the CPC?
          The UPC does not have bathroom groups it requires you count each fixture. Under the UPC an IPC bathroom group could be rated as high as 8 DFU. At the same time a 4" waste line under the UPC is rated higher than it is under the IPC. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out but this might be why they never came to an agreement.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            The UPC does not have bathroom groups it requires you count each fixture. Under the UPC an IPC bathroom group could be rated as high as 8 DFU. At the same time a 4" waste line under the UPC is rated higher than it is under the IPC. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out but this might be why they never came to an agreement.

Mark
            No bathroom group sizing in the UPC? I thought every code would have thiis. If I had a copy of the UPC I might call you out on this. You certainly would know better than me.

Comment

No bathroom group sizing in the UPC? I thought every code would have thiis. If I had a copy of the UPC I might call you out on this. You certainly would know better than me.
              No problem I have the UPC from 1947 through 2006 but I only have the IPC from 1995 through 2006.

Mark

Comment

UPC Appendix L, Alternate Plumbing Systems:

UPC Appendix L includes sections on engineered plumbing systems,
                single-wall heat exchangers, fixture unit values for bathroom groups,
                vacuum drainage systems, battery venting, and wet venting in
                single and double bathroom groups.

Comment

UPC Appendix L, Alternate Plumbing Systems:

UPC Appendix L includes sections on engineered plumbing systems,
                  single-wall heat exchangers, fixture unit values for bathroom groups,
                  vacuum drainage systems, battery venting, and wet venting in

single and double bathroom groups.
                  I guess technically you are right but you have to understand what Appendix L is all about. Unlike the IPC where the plumber can use "bathroom groups" Appendix L is for engineered systems approved as an "alternate plumbing system". In other words the system has to be designed by a design professional including the materials used and then the engineers must make regular inspections on any work larger than a duplex. So if an engineer draws it and assuming the Plan Check approves it (they don't have to) a plumber can install it under the engineers supervision. You cannot design-build the system on your own and the engineer you hire must send it to plan check for approval so it really is not something a plumber could afford to do on single family residential.

Mark

Comment

Here in "NON UPC" land, a bathroom amounts to 7 F.U.'s, we count a 3 piece bath group as 6.
                    The threads title certainly brings to mind some wishful thinking in reference to talking code with you guys...man wouldn't it be nice.
                    Last edited by DuckButter; 12-09-2007, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I'm with Utah here. The UPC allows for "engineered systems" which I'm sure the other codes do as well. But the standard code is based on single fixture calculations.
                      the dog

Comment

So as long as we all are in agreement... I was right

I was surprised to find out there are some major difference between UPC and IPC. I thought they paralleled each other.

No gas addressed in IPC
                        IPC allows garbage disposals to discharge into grease interceptors (this seems stupid but what do I know?)
                        No air admittance valves allowed in UPC...too bad for you guys

Has the UPC addressed waterless urinals?

Comment

There are a ton of differences between the two Codes. That is why the 2006 UPC has 460 pages compared to the 2006 IPC which has 148 pages. As far as waterless urinals they are only addressed under "water-conserving" fixtures so if they are IAMPO approved they can be installed.

Mark

Comment

Well how in the hell are they going to be able to consolidate these 2 codes by 2009? Isn't that the plan?

Comment

Last I had heard all talks were suspended but that may have changed by now. Last year they were really close and then ICC wanted to change a bunch of stuff which had already been agreed to so IAPMO stopped the talks. This whole mess has been hard on everyone so I wish they would figure something out.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X