Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the trade and looking for some advice

Hi all,

I have been reading the post here for the past couple of days and have found some real good advice on this forum as well as the drain cleaning forum.

I work for a drain co. that requires its techs to purchase the vans, pay for the ins. on said van and gas as well... I knew this going into it, and have no problems with it. After being with the co. for a year they have made me a plumbing apprentice and have been having a plumber ride w/me every other week. But other than that I have not had any schooling. When I talk to the other plumbers in the company that have come up through the ranks they all say the samething... If I were you once you get your card I would find a real plumbing co. to work for. I want to know should I wait that long? Is this normal for a co. in this field... All of our work is repair work, no remodels, no new construction... and I have done a lot since coming to this co. I have cabled, jetted, cameraed, est. for outside digs, excavations, and am now a certified field trainer for cable techs. I cable mostly and get some plumbing work when my journeymen rides with me but I don't want to get a card and be the guy who knows only faucets and waterheaters.

Any advice?

Billytwohatz
    Last edited by billytwohatz; 12-09-2007, 09:45 PM.

Re: New to the trade and looking for some advice

I dont know if finding a new plumbing co would be the right answer for you...then you would have to start off fresh in a new co...Does your company treat you fairly now??? Getting your card will only benefit you in every way possible in this business....Being the only guy there knowing and doing the faucets and waterheaters can benefit you alot...More pay at your company now??? Being able to train others in that aspect??? Being able to one day go on your own if you wanted to???? Sky is the limite...Choose wisely on what you do...but your sake, take in all the knowledge you can...

Greg
    Last edited by Drain Medic; 12-09-2007, 10:18 PM.
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Billy...GET THAT TICKET!
      Having your license is nothing but leverage, your looking at it the wrong way.
      At that outfit it could become more complications, but you'd have a world of options...self employment to name one.
      You're right about the fact that your current employer would likely capitalize on your license...just take a look in the classifieds daily.
      Thats called options.

Comment

Is this company a flate rate commission based company? This company wants you to buy their van, gas and insurance?????? Did I read this right?

Soak up any knowledge that you can. Never refuse any type of schooling that is offered. Get your journeyman's asap. Then if you just want to do drain cleaning, then just do drain cleaning or whatever suits you.
        Last edited by gear junkie; 12-09-2007, 11:49 PM.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          Is this company a flate rate commission based company? This company wants you to buy their van, gas and insurance?????? Did I read this right?

Soak up any knowledge that you can. Never refuse any type of schooling that is offered. Get your journeyman's asap. Then if you just want to do drain cleaning, then just do drain cleaning or whatever suits you.
          Yes the company is semi flat rated in that we charge x$ for an hour and half of work anything over that is x$ pro rated per hour. I am commissioned so that if I don't sell the job I don't get anything other than the tax write off on the gas every week at turn in. I am in the St. Louis region and the company has rules that differ from what the state says... such as MO say's you can have senior apprentice after 2 1/2 years in but the company say's there is no such thing. I am trying to soak in everything that I can, and I feel like I can't learn it fast enough. I am planning to go to school on my own since the company has failed to provide any of said schooling since I started the apprentice ship in April of this year. I have done several repair jobs on Laundry lines, Kitchen stacks, and even a couple of Soil Stack replacements all of course with a Journeymen... and I have replaced countless faucets, and garbage disposers... but other than little bits and pieces of info that I asked the journeyman while doing said job have very little knowledge of the reason why we do things the way we do, other than it is the way the code was written. One journeyman even told me that he goes to the supply house and tells them what he removed and asks them for the parts he needs to fix it. I just feel that I may not be getting the right training, but then again I have 5 years till I can test for my card so I have plenty of time to learn. I saw some negative things posted about companies like the one I work for... and I see it the more I work for them, but I have made more money doing this than I have anything else, I like my job and never wake up dreading going to work, so in short I guess I am happy with the company and the managers I work for but just don't agree with how they do everything. I do appreciate all your answers and have came to the same conclusions myself... stick with the devil you know, then once I get my card go from there.

Thank you all.

Billytwohatz

Comment

The best thing about plumbing is the opportunity to see and work on a whole bunch of different plumbing and heating systems. You get to meet new people. Get involved in the trade. See and install new materials. Variety is the spice of life. Drain cleaning is a job. Plumbing is a profession. Get the ticket, you will never regret it.
            sigpic

Comment

Get your ticket. It will help take you whereever you want to go. When times are lean it'll keep you employed and fed. My steamfitters licence is best move I've ever made employment wise.

Comment

Get far away from this company. I just left one like this myself. Everything seemed great when I first got there. Slowly but surely, I started to see the company for what they truly were and left. I was making 1000 a week and that's only working 3 long days(40 hours). My turning point was when I got a call from one of our "victim's" neighbor who called on her behalf as she was 86. One of our hacks had charged her 5 g's for a 40 gall water heater. My last conversation with my service manager entailed him making comments as "someone else is going to rip them off, why don't we do it first" and my favorite "I'm going to tap this well till it runs dry".

Here's the best one; I called another company to put a job application in and told them I was working for another company and was leaving because they were rip offs. The owner laughs and says "You must work for XX-XXXX, they're the biggest scam artists I know". I was speechless and for anyone who has talked to me, knows that doesn't happen very often. You're conscience will slowly take over and how much you make won't matter any more.

Do you have to carry insurance? When everything got panned out, the company I was at was dispatch and advertising. They got 70% for doing that. Don't get blinded by the short term money.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

hummmm have you ever heard the term....

thats a nice place to visit, but i wouldn't want to live there.

seems to sum it up quite nicely
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Can't agree more with the folks telling you to 'get that ticket' and I can tell you why from the other side of the coin as I don't have one. I just clean drains, and occaisionally do repairs that don't require pulling a permit. Thus far I've been able to get liability insurance and all the work I can handle despite the lack of that ticket, but I have lost out at the last minute on large, long term maintenance contracts with home warranty companies and nationwide building management companies because I don't have it. At this point my company is too large with too many customers and I am too old to back up and go work for someone else to get that licence. I am constantly looking for and hoping to find the older master on his way out who I can hire, at whatever he needs, to do as much or as little of whatever he wants, just so I can get my time in under him. I'd love someone who will teach me what I don't know, but I'd pay and pay well to sit on butt and let me get my time in. Sooner or later drain cleaning and repair will start to be regulated in the same way new construction is now, and I won't have a business anymore.

As to the way your company operates, they sound like crooks. Plan to get shut of them, but take care of yourself in the process. Do not tell them you plan to leave, or in any way hint you are unhappy with the situation until you have an alternative in place. Put that alternative in place secretly. Do not discuss it with anyone at work, or anyone who it can get back to work from. You might well decide that it is best to stay with the crooks until you get your journeyman's. Don't ever burn a bridge you can leave intact.

I am in business despite my lack of credentials because I do excellent work at a fair price. I tell my customers who ask about guarrantees that my conscience is their warranty, and all the lawyers on the planet couldn't write a better one, and I truly believe that. I don't advertise; all my work is by referral, and I am very proud of what that says about my work. Treat the world right, and it will give it back over and over. Rape and pillage and that will come back to you as well.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X