X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Friends take you for granted?

I had something simalar happen the day before thanks giving... a guy knocks on my door and says I live down the street and was wondering if you could come open my kitchen sink for me... I told him a price I thought was fair, (about a third of what the co. I work for charges) and he said but "we're neighbors could you do it for half that?" I firmly but politly said no. I have never been to that guys house before and don't even know his name... yeah we live on the same street, but that doesn't make you a friend or a neighbor. Like the others I have true friends I wouldn't even consider charging, but they are the ones who wouldn't take advantage of our friendship either.

Comment

I have friends who I would spend a week helping out without a second thought. They offer help to me when I need it and vice versa. Then there are friends who I rarely see that show up and are my best friend for a couple days asking me to do something for them

It all boils down to what your gut tells you. Just the fact that you posted it as a thread on the forum is good indication that you shouldnt cave in. You quoted him a fair price. Trying to haggle a fair or discounted price down lower between friends is pretty lame in my eyes. He should take it or leave it. Let him find someone else and pay twice what you told him.

Josh

Comment

Just..................run

Those of you that have friends that you can do this with? That's great and I've seen it work quite well without hostility or hard feelings down the line.

Always remember that you cannot be taken advantage of if you just say no.

Being a plumber, a master plumber at that.....it's not hard to find friends being in this business. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeveryone wants to know a plumber.

Gf's "used" to get me in trouble subbing me out for all kinds of things for her family like I was the cash cow that was going to last till we broke up.

Discipline yourself; Josh said it best...if you had to post a thread to confirm what isn't sitting right, definitely don't do it. His priorities are to save money, not be your buddy or pal.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Ben, just the way it sounds, I wouldn't do it.
          This guy has all the material possesions and is looking for freebies?
          Let him keep looking, after time he'll finally get back with a different tune.
          From the way you're talking it sounds like your gut says no...I'd go with my gut on this one.

Comment

If he was your buddy....he wouldve not hesitated to ask you to help him do the job...wouldnt have balked by the price...He wouldve trusted that your giving him the best deal he is going to get....JMO....I charge family members
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I remember my father having a crew over to work on an addition to our house when I was in my teens. Funny thing - I don't remember my father working on other friends' additions . . .

But my dad worked in commercial. So did his friends. If he had been working residential, it might have been different. Neither he nor they was hurting for money.

I've always been a very helpful person. But when it comes to my trade, I charge and charge fairly no matter who it is. I consider my friends to be people who are concerned that I'm making it and my friends ask if I'm sure it's enough when I work for them.

And perhaps it would be different if your friend reciprocates. What do you get from him, Ben?

Comment

Just an update, he told me he would get me 4 cases of beer and 100 bucks to do the job, final offer. The best part about this is that I don't drink. I guess this is winter #3 with no heat.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Final offer? Like he's doing you a favour in allowing you to do the work?

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    Just an update, he told me he would get me 4 cases of beer and 100 bucks to do the job, final offer. The best part about this is that I don't drink. I guess this is winter #3 with no heat.

Don't share smokes with him anymore. Switch to Pall Mall non-filter.
                    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 12-12-2007, 05:49 PM.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I told Robert if we ever move to croatia he will have to work for pies and cookies

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Ben, your time and skills are worth way more than some beer and cash.

I do know two people who would gladly work as long as the beer keeps coming. Doesn't even have to be cold either. The quality of their work drops off dramaticlly after 12 or 1 o'clock. 4 cases and a hundred bucks would get about 3 days labor out of them. Not the kind of guys you want in your house though.

Early in my plumbing career had tons of 'best friends' that needed side jobs. I was hungry for work so working nights and weekends was no big deal. I can count on one hand the number of friends now that I would drop anything and go help. If you're not one of them...call someone else. I don't need another buddy.

I like pie and cookies

Comment

Ben do I really have to say something?

This person seems a little arrogant.Borderline disrespectfull.

We screw around on the job and tease each other.But when it comes to business...

It has already been said,he needs to go out and get a bid from someone who he has no idea will do a good job.

If and when he gets someone else cheaper than you(don't believe him most people's pride prevents them from man'ing up) and he needs your help trouble working your are now double the industry rate.Not your rate,the service industry rate.You don't want to do it anyway.This is heading down the more trouble than it's worth trail.Not a good way to start a job.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            This person seems a little arrogant.Borderline disrespectfull.
                            I agree, the guy doesn't seem to mind completely insulting Bens intelligence.
                            He should make a stop at the local wino bin and get the help he really deserves for what he's offering.

Comment

Yep, he is insulting you and your trade in my opinion with his offer.

Tell him the truth, you cant/wont do it for that.

Regards,

Comment

Be Busy. Be very very busy and not able to do the job for him. He's taking advantage of a NICE guy, and you don't need to be shucked and jived by a con artist. And this is what a lot of so-called friends turn out to be. The first time you need a hand with a job, he'll be nowhere in site. I have a "mentor" of sorts that I sometimes call for advice and he said to me one day, "Jim, there are people that you will want to have as customers, and then there are others that you will not want to do work for and have as customers. Turn them down and find someone to work for that you want to." It's been good advice for me. Other thing, go into your shop and look around at the investment that you have in tools alone. Then look at you truck or vehicles that you use. Then think about all the schooling/education/years of experience etc. that you have invested in your skilled trade. Giving this guy a freebie or a low rate just does not seem to fit. Like I said. Be very busy. And don't fall into the trap of doing things for neighbors. I did when I first found myself unemployed. And they will take advantage of you big time and then end up making a fool of you on top of that. I was helping a neighbor late one Saturday night with an emergency and I was about bent in two from a kidney stone. After this clod had a few beers in him, he starts telling me how he found this wonderful guy who had come in and done some work for him at about half the price I had charged for a similar repair. I took my tools and left and never ever came back. He called one night when his basement was flooded and needed a hand. I was on another tool forum and told him I was just too busy to come over and help. He hasn't talked to me since. No loss. He's a big shot in the community here and just a f-----g clod. Good Luck.
                                Jim Don

Comment

Working...
                                X